Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civilization 5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Excellent, I was wondering a couple of days ago if/when Civ 5 might be coming. Going to a hex-grid too, that could cause some nerd-rage.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Fantastic news. No problem with hexes. If the combat ended up borrowing from Panzer General, I'd be a very happy camper. Hope there's a pbem option too.

If I could give them my money now, I would. And coming out this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

excellent news thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

The trailer is stirring stuff. The amount of my life the previous iterations have taken off me, I should fear this....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Niska wrote: »
    The trailer is stirring stuff. The amount of my life the previous iterations have taken off me, I should fear this....
    Same as this, ridiculous amount of hours of my life spent playing Civ over the years. Only Champ Man comes close.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Looks like my prayers were answered so to speak. Jon Shafer, the lead designer, said that Panzer General was the inspiration for the hex/one unit-per-tile system.

Some info on the changes here:
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62691

I liked the religion system in Civ 4, seems a shame that they are dumping it, although they are doing so in favour of alliances by more 'normal' diplomatic means. The designer said he didn't want blocs developing along religious lines, but that was one thing I really liked in Civ 4, smiting the heathens!!

The one unit per hex/Panzer General type combat should be great, the Stack of Doom system used up to now can get really boring, particularly once you have passed the catapults/maces stage. Terrain being more important, and 'front lines' generally replacing city sieges should be good.

No tech trading is interesting, I always turn off Tech Brokering in Civ 4 anyway.

They are changing quite a lot, but based on Civ 4 I trust Firaxis not to fu<k it up.

Copy and paste from here:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=355156

So well then lets step away from speculation and see what has actually been confirmed through the screen shots (Note, I'll only be adding stuff here that has been released and/or confirmed by Firaxis/2K Games/Civfanatics)

Game Content

CIV's/Leaders/Flavours 16 of 18 Civilizations confirmed

America/Washington
    Germany/Bismark
    Aztec/Montezuma
    Japan/Oda Nobunaga
    China/Wu Zeitein
    Arabia/Harun al-Rashid
    Mongolia/Genghis Khan
    Rome/Augustus Caesar
    France/Napolean
    India/Gandhi/City Growth focused
    England/Elizabeth/Naval Power focused
    Songhai/Askia/Conquest focused
    Russia/Katherine/City Expansion focused
    Ottomans/Suleiman
    Egypt/Ramesses
    Greece/Alexander the Great

[Steam Special Addition Bonus]

Babylon/Nebuchadnezzar IINew

There have been three possible candidates for the final two spots the Inca (mentioned in the Swedish PC Gamer through the use of the Quechua Language) and the Siam and the Persian Empires (mentioned in Giochi per il mio Computer through the use of their apparent unique units, Siam Elephant and the Immortals, respectively)

Each leader has a personality made from a combination of several different 'flavours' along a ten point scale, each game the impact that a certain flavour has over this civ can be +/- two points , allowing for a different experience each game. For example Russia may have a score of 8 for their expansion flavour but at the start of the game the actual score could be any where from 6 to 10. (PCZone)

The 25 flavours are grouped into several categories including Wide Strategy, Military preferences, Recon, Naval recon, Naval growth, Expansion, Growth, Development preferences (PCZone)

Wonders

Hagia Sofia of Constantinople/Istanbul
    The Pyramids and/or The Sphinx of Giza(Shown in trailer at time code 00:16)
    Hanging Gardens of Babylon
    The Oracle of Delphi
    Shakespeare's Amphitheatre (The Globe Theater) (not known yet if this has been upgraded to a full wonder or is still a national wonder) of London
    The Colossus of Rhodes

Buildings

City Walls - Gives Defence bonus, as well as allowing a ranged attack (Shacknews)

Unit Behaviour

Now only one each type of unit (Millitary/Naval/Economic)hex, this includes cities

However, some unit types, like Air & Missile unit will be allowed stack on one tile allowing Aircraft Carriers and Missile Subs. (Strana Igr)

Units move 2 Hexs during combat as a base (GamerPro)

Ranged bombardment

You will be able to swap a unit out with one next to it during battle (IGN)

Units will take longer to produce than previous civilizations and as well as this they will eventually come to have upkeep costs associated with them potentially reducing the number of units you can maintain at one time. (Gamespot)

veterancy from Civ4 will be in Civ5 (Gamespot)

Units are no longer destroyed if they lose a battle
    (The Escapist)

Unit Types

Land, Naval, Air & Missile Unit Types have been confirmed

Archers
    Warriors/Mace-men
    Spear-men
    Catapults
    Jaguar Warriors
    Settlers
    Galleys
    Great People

There are no longer Troop Transports instead, units instantly transform into makeshift floating transports (PC PowerPlay)

[Steam Special Addition Bonus]

Babylonian BowmenNew

Terrain Types

Grassland/Marsh/Plains/Desert
    Snow, Tundra
    Mountains/Hills, Hills provide more Defence
    Several types of Forest/Jungle representing the four major land masses of Europe, Asia, Africa & America, wounded units can hide and recover in trees/forests.
    Coast/Ocean/Lakes/Rivers Rivers affect those attacking across it.

Luxury Resources

One Luxury Resources is enough for your entire Empire (IGN)
    Ivory/Elephants
    Marble
    Dye
    Spices possibly shown here
    Silk
    Gold or other mineral resource

Strategic Resources

One strategic resources will only allow you to build a limited supply of units that require that resource i.e. one Iron will allow about 5 units bases on Iron IGN
    Horses
    Iron

Other Resources

Cattle
    Deer
    Wheat or Corn
    Cotton

Map Improvements/Features

Farms (can now be built on hills)
    Pastures
    Roads, now cost maintenance each turn (Strana Igr)
    Camps
    Forts
    City ruins

Research

With a gold down-payment two nations can create a joint research project (Computer Bild Spiele) that gives the players a 15% bonus to research output. (VGChartz)

Technologies

Writing- Unlocks research pacts
    Calendar- Needed to see Cotton
    Masonry - Allows construction of Walls (Gamereactor) (time index 2:35)

Cities

Cities spread 3 tiles out instead of two
    Boarders now only expand at one hex at a time and more difficult terrain will take more time to claim (Swedish PC Gamer). You can use Gold to sped up this process, but that may bring you into conflict with surrounding Civs. GamerNode

Cities now defend themselves with a set of 'Hitpoints' that need to be taken down to zero before a city can be captured. Units can still help defend cities but instead of just garrisoning inside the city as in previous games, they merge with the city and 'boost' the cities hitpoints. GamerNode

Culturally different City designs Arabic/Asian/African/European and American Confirmed
    There will be "game-specific disadvantages" in having two cities too close together(Gamespot)
    When you occupy a city you can form a Puppet-State, This means that you reap the benefits of its research, culture and gold but don't get a say in what it produces (PC PowerPlay)

City States

Provides diplomatic and economic bonuses if pursued correctly, potentially more than what you could get if you took over the city. (IGN)
    Singapore, Rio de Janeiro, Budapest, Florence, Venice, Sidon confirmed.

The cities states will not grow large nor will they compete to win the game like regular civs.(Swedish PC Gamer)

The player must choose if he is to be friendly, indifferent or hostile towards a city state. (Swedish PC Gamer)

City States can have different mentalities, for instance a militaristic bent, and thus give different bonuses if you befriend them, like warriors.(Gamespot)

City States also have their own tech tree's (1Up)

Barbarians

Will have their own Tech Tree's at least up until the 20th Century era(1Up)
    Have their own Home City that you must destroy to stop them(1Up)

Victory Types

Conquest - You must conquer a certain amount of your enemies Capital Cities (IGN)

Scenarios

[Steam Pre-Order Bonus]

Cradle of Civilization Map Pack: MesopotamiaNew

Other Information

Trading items and land
    New "Civilisation tree" with three different paths that give special bonuses (more concrete information needed) (Computer Bild Spiele)
    Barbarians will continue to expand and advance untill all of their cites are destroyed (Swedish PC Gamer)
    Civ 5 more moddable than Civ 4 (IGN)
    Advisors make their return to Civ 5 (IGN)
    Golden Ages are confirmed
    Culture still plays a part in the game
    There will be Fog of War (Gamereactor) (time index 3:40)
    Religion has been altered from its role in Civ 4 however, it is not know in what form it will remain in the game

Changes and/or Omissions from Previous Games

No Technology Trading (Computer Bild Spiele)
    Espionage have been removed

Game Design/Construction/Tech Features

Key People in the Civ 5 production

Jon Shafer - Lead design.
    Dennis Shirk - Producer.
    Dorian Newcomb - Lead artist for Civ 5.
    Ed Beach - Lead AI programmer
    Chris Hickman - Lead animation.
    Dan Baker -Graphics lead

Required Specifications New

The game will have to be verified through Steam on first installation

Interface

Civ 5 Will have a more streamlined interface on the main screen (IGN)
    This will be augmented by an in game notification system that directs you to important issues on the map (Gamespot)

AI

AI now works on four levels, Tactical (unit battles), Operational (The entire War Front), Strategic (Manages the entire empire) and the Grand Strategic (how to win the game) (IGN)
    Once the Grand Strategic AI determines how they want to win the game, each of the other AI levels work in tandem to reach that end goal. This also allows for the most flexibility when dealing with the changing game.

Multiplayer Information

Multiplayer modes confirmed are hot seat, play-by-email, LAN, and online multiplayer (Tomshardware)

Internal Architecture

Civ 5 Contains a new graphic processing system new built from scratch for the game. (Tomshardware)

The new graphics engine spawns numerous small jobs, which make more efficient use of multi-core CPUs as well as implementing a new message-passing architecture, in which the main game engine communicates with the graphics subsystem through messages. (Tomshardware)

The game has been optimized for DirectX 11, benefiting players even if they do not have DirectX 11 capable hardware. (Tomshardware)

Memory allocation has been completely discarded in Civ 5. (Tomshardware)

For the first time in the series the game is being developed for dual core processors, with support for up too 8 threads. Big Download

Sources

Firaxis
    Computer Bild Spiele translated Here by Civinator
    Swedish PC Gamer translated Here by Danielos
    Gamepro Compiled Here by Dc82
    PC Jeux translated Here by Sindhforces
    IGN Preview posted Here by aftrubeliever85
    IGN Preview 2 posted Here by mrbee
    Gamespot Preview posted Here by V.Soma
    1up Preview posted Here by V.Soma
    Shacknews Preview Posted here by Thunderfall
    The Escapist Preview posted Here by Karramba
    Gamereactor Preview Video posted here by Thunderfall
    PC Gamer Blog Preview posted Here by Ddude97
    Tomshardware posted Here by Magic Cat
    PCZone preview posted here by V.Soma
    VGCharts Preview posted Here by Camikaze
    PC PowerPlay Preview posted here by Dale
    Big Download Preview posted Here by V.Soma
    GameNode Preview posted Here by V.Soma
    GameShark Preview posted Here by NeverMind
    Strana Igr interview posted here by Nevermind
    Steam Announcement posted Here by V.Soma

as well as individual Screenshots that are linked accordingly

if I have missed anything, or if new information is released please feel free to post it and I will update the list.

New

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This is gonna be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

America/Washington
    Germany/Bismark
    Aztec/Montezuma
    Japan/Oda Nobunaga
    China/Wu Zeitein
    Arabia/Harun al-Rashid
    Mongolia/Genghis Khan
    Rome/Augustus Caesar
    France/Napolean
    India/Gandhi/City Growth focused
    England/Elizabeth/Naval Power focused
    Songhai/Askia/Conquest focused
    Russia/Katherine/City Expansion focused
    Ottomans/Suleiman
    Egypt/Ramesses
    Greece/Alexander the Great

Hmm, no Irish eh? I remember in Civilization 2 & 3 how I used to create the Irish. Just to mess around :D It would be cool if you could do that again. Still it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

this looks cool. Can't wait. I've spent a large amount of time on previous incarnations

Nice update here with a video showing in-game footage and interviews with Sid Meir. I like the way it will come with mod stuff out of the box too :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/17/all-conquering-civilization-v/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

Really interesting. The Culture changes sound brilliant.

Also read that there will be play-by-email, so lots more fun over at darkkeep.com then.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Looks great. I really like the move to hex tiles, especially for combat, which looks a bit more involved and tactical than in previous Civs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Up for pre-order with Steam...

I'm so looking forward to this it's not funny. At least I'll have SCII to keep me busy until this rolls around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Is there any bunch of lads that get together for Civ lans? Eight hour sessions in an internet cafe with this game and 4/5 other lads would be awesome.

In case you haven't seen it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Just pre ordered, first game I have ever pre ordered. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

bleg wrote: »
    Just pre ordered, first game I have ever pre ordered. Looking forward to it.

Want some heroin to go with that crack? :p

• Advertisement

Vargulf wrote: »

This has been removed by Take 2, anything in it that isn't in the other gameplay videos around i.e. is it worth looking for?

This has been removed by Take 2, anything in it that isn't in the other gameplay videos around i.e. is it worth looking for?
    I saved it to my PC if you want it?

The speaker first shows Hiawatha and builds his first city, but then loads a different saved game as the Romans. The second part shows a city state and how they give bonuses and then goes onto show land and sea combat. It's filmed with a hidden camera.

Vargulf wrote: »
    I saved it to my PC if you want it?

The speaker first shows Hiawatha and builds his first city, but then loads a different saved game as the Romans. The second part shows a city state and how they give bonuses and then goes onto show land and sea combat. It's filmed with a hidden camera.

Sure, send it to conx71 AT hotmail.com when you get a chance, thanks.

Maximilian wrote: »
    In case you haven't seen it...

Haha yea I've seen it :)

Sure I've experienced it first hand in reality! ;)

Nothing wrong with losing eight hours of a day to the magic of a Civilization game.

Haven't done it in ages. Really need to play against human opponents in person to get me playing like that again.

So is anybody up for it when this game comes out? Starting on a somewhat level playing field so to speak.

I've booked the Friday 24th and the following Monday off work so I can get stuck into this - first time I've ever done that for a game release.

I've not bought anything off Steam before, if you get Civ 5 through that, does it unlock just after midnight on day of release? And are you able to burn it to DVD etc. to save you having to re-download if hard drive crashed etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

And are you able to burn it to DVD etc. to save you having to re-download if hard drive crashed etc?
    You can backup games from steam, right-click the game and select backup.

I've booked the Friday 24th and the following Monday off work so I can get stuck into this - first time I've ever done that for a game release.

I've not bought anything off Steam before, if you get Civ 5 through that, does it unlock just after midnight on day of release? And are you able to burn it to DVD etc. to save you having to re-download if hard drive crashed etc?

As far as I'm aware you can re-download the games as many times as you want on as many pc's as you want, as long as you're logged into your account.

But, you can only be logged into one computer at a timeand play one game at a time, to prevent account sharing.

That's the way direct2drive work anyway. I think it's how steam works too as I had to re-download all my games when I reformated my hard drive and I had no issues at all. Just hit download on the games and it done it without a hassle.

Have to add; steams price of E50 is ridiculous. Definitely would rather buy the physical product with case and book over that.

Digital versions of games should be at least 1/3 cheaper than physical versions.

EDIT: Just checked amazon...they have it at £24.99 for physical version...steam, you are stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

koHd wrote: »
    EDIT: Just checked amazon...they have it at £24.99 for physical version...steam, you are stupid.
    No, it is just how their model work. They are more expensive in general and then you get 50/75% sales every so often when you pick up the good stuff (if you don't mind waiting).

• Advertisement

Anyone know if the Babylon civ from the digital version will be available for separate buy/download?

Advertisement