Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting posts and then receiving a PM from the poster you reported

• 27-02-2012 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the thread title, I was unsure how to word it.

Basically, I recently reported a thread in Ranting & Raving and the thread was deleted, either by the poster themselves or a mod. The following day I received a ranting PM from the OP of the thread about the report. When I reported the post I stated as such on the thread. However, in the PM that I received the poster made reference to what I said when reporting the post and had not said on-thread. The poster in question is a moderator and as such can see the reported posts forum (at least this is how it used to be, yes?) and clearly this is where they got their information from.

I reported the PM and responded to the poster to tell them not to contact me again and I heard no more about it.

That being said, what is the policy on this? Is it acceptable for a poster to contact someone who reported their post and use information they gleaned from the mod forum/reported posts forum to give them crap via PM? Personally I found it to be wholly unacceptable but I wanted to see what the official word is? Is it fair game for those with access to the mod forum to use that information in situations like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Chinafoot wrote: »
    That being said, what is the policy on this? Is it acceptable for a poster to contact someone who reported their post and use information they gleaned from the mod forum/reported posts forum to give them crap via PM?
    No it's not acceptable, under any circumstances and we're in discussion about it at the moment and have been since we saw your reported PM :)

However, on a slightly different tack, I'm not sure about that particular forum but most private fora have an etiquette that says posts should not be reported. Normally you send a PM to the mods. May be different for R&R.

Seems this is cool for that forum :)

I'll get back to you on this one. In the mean time, I'm locking the thread but will reopen it later.

Hi Chinafoot, I'm back :)

Okay, I've investigated this one and am satisfied that while it initially looks like the Reported posts forum was used to frame a response to you, it wasn't. My first impression was exactly the same as yours because of how it looked.

In the PM sent to you by the original poster a certain phrase was used (we will call it VB) that you did not use on-thread but it was used by someone else on-thread and in a PM exchange with the original poster.

The original poster then realised that others probably thought he was VBing and so sent PMs trying to explain that he wasn't.

Following a full investigation I'm absolutely sure that this is what happened and that the reported post forum wasn't abused on this occasion. We take the sanctity of the reported posts forum very seriously and investigate matters like this thoroughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Thank you for getting back to me r3nu4l, I appreciate it.

While I have to be honest and say I most definitely don't share your certainty, I accept your conclusion.
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    In the PM sent to you by the original poster a certain phrase was used (we will call it VB) that you did not use on-thread but it was used by someone else on-thread and in a PM exchange with the original poster.

The original poster then realised that others probably thought he was VBing and so sent PMs trying to explain that he wasn't.

I'm sure you can agree that if the OP was genuinely attempting to explain that he wasn't VBing they most certainly went about it in the wrong way. The PM was nothing short of rude and aggressive. I don't appreciate unsolicited PMs of that nature and I assume that the poster in question has at least been warned not to engage in that sort of behaviour again?

So we're just done with this then I take it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Chinafoot wrote: »
    So we're just done with this then I take it?
    It would seem so. If he doesn't respond on-thread within the next 14 days, then you can take it that he considers this to be resolved and has moved on to other issues where people are screaming for his attention.

• Advertisement

Strange, I must have missed the notification that you had replied! I saw Shield's response in my email so am replying now. I have further evidence that I won't be detailing here but I am certain and wouldn't have said so otherwise.

The user in question was trying to reassure you that he wasn't the VBing sort. You didn't want the PM, he understands that now.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    The user in question was trying to reassure you that he wasn't the VBing sort. You didn't want the PM, he understands that now.

I didn't want the PM because it was nothing but rude and aggressive and I really don't appreciate you trying to paint this as if there was nothing wrong with the tone and content of that PM and that I just got in a snot because he had the neck to PM me.

I didn't want the PM precisely because of it's tone and content. He was not some poor misguided soul who was trying his best to reassure me of his views. He was taking the hump with the fact that I reported his post.

You know what, just close this. I'll know better in future than to bother reporting anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement