Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N22 - Tralee Bypass (under construction)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AerialPhoto.ie

Archaeological excavations are ongoing on the Tralee Bypass at the moment so there won't be any construction works taking place until that phase of the project is completed.

In the meantime some aerial pics of the route posted on our project blog at:
    http://www.aerialphoto.ie/2011/02/18/tralee-bypass-aerial-photography/

Hope they are of interest.

tralee_bypass_southern_junction_with_killarney_road-300x200.jpg
    Junction with N22 Killarney Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Thanks AerialPhoto.ie for those excellent photos. I heard the project is expected to start during the summer of this year.

I still think this scheme should not go to construction as it's clearly not as important as other road schemes in the country. We have several national primary roads that are inadequate for the amount of users on those routes. Even upgrading the N21 from Abbeyfeale-Adare would be more beneficial to the people of Tralee and the surrounding areas than to provide a bypass of the town. The design is flawed in that the N86 is not being linked to the bypass and I from what I gather is this scheme is solely going ahead due to the proposed Global pharmaceutical centre of excellence promising 4000 jobs to the area of Tralee.

I find it quite disturbing to fund a road scheme on a pure fantasy project. The proposed centre of excellence is basically an idea from a group of people looking for investment of €4 billion and €40 million from the government to build a R&D centre. I cant see this coming to fruition and its an absolute disgrace to see other roads like the N24, N17, N5 and N15 for example missing out on part-investment due to this white elephant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Tech3 wrote: »
    Thanks AerialPhoto.ie for those excellent photos.

Yes, thanks very much indeed!
    I heard the project is expected to start during the summer of this year.

I still think this scheme should not go to construction as it's clearly not as important as other road schemes in the country....and I from what I gather is this scheme is solely going ahead due to the proposed Global pharmaceutical centre of excellence promising 4000 jobs to the area of Tralee.

Seriously? Wow. If that's the case, it says a lot about how badly scheme prioritisation is carried out. The upgraded N28 could generate a return of over €50 billion after all. That particular scheme delivers serious bang per buck spent, particularly seen as how it will be only 13km long. I really hope that Coveney commands the NRA to advance it to EIS stage at least if he becomes transport minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Surely if they are setting up a "Global centre for Pharma Excellence" then it should be in Cork where all our Pharma expertise is? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Tech3 wrote: »
    Thanks AerialPhoto.ie for those excellent photos. I heard the project is expected to start during the summer of this year.

I still think this scheme should not go to construction as it's clearly not as important as other road schemes in the country. We have several national primary roads that are inadequate for the amount of users on those routes. Even upgrading the N21 from Abbeyfeale-Adare would be more beneficial to the people of Tralee and the surrounding areas than to provide a bypass of the town. The design is flawed in that the N86 is not being linked to the bypass and I from what I gather is this scheme is solely going ahead due to the proposed Global pharmaceutical centre of excellence promising 4000 jobs to the area of Tralee.

I find it quite disturbing to fund a road scheme on a pure fantasy project. The proposed centre of excellence is basically an idea from a group of people looking for investment of €4 billion and €40 million from the government to build a R&D centre. I cant see this coming to fruition and its an absolute disgrace to see other roads like the N24, N17, N5 and N15 for example missing out on part-investment due to this white elephant.

I agree with you that the Adare to Abbeyfeale road would actually benefit Tralee and hinterland motorists who regularly travel to Limerick/Dublin/elsewhere better than a bypass of Tralee and should have been given priority if the focus is on overall national connectivity............However, there is a large amount of local traffic in Tralee/Kerry that suffers daily chronic congestion due to the inferior infrastructure in and around Tralee. Tailbacks approaching the town from the current merged N21/22 can run to several miles on a bad day. Many motorists have to come right into the town to continue on their journeys to Listowel/Killorglin etc. The bypass will make a tremendous difference to the quality of life of motorists who want to come into Tralee and those who don't as existing roads will be freed up. The vast majority of these motorists use these local roads daily but may only use the national roads to Limerick/Dublin etc on an infrequent basis so these considerations should also be incorporated into priority assessements....................Finally, if there is x amount of funding that can deliver a bypass for Tralee but there wouldn't be sufficient funding for a larger project like the Adare to Abbeyfeale upgrade, is it not better that the funds are used to construct some road improvements than none at all?

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    Finally, if there is x amount of funding that can deliver a bypass for Tralee but there wouldn't be sufficient funding for a larger project like the Adare to Abbeyfeale upgrade, is it not better that the funds are used to construct some road improvements than none at all?

I agree that the funds are not available this year for such a scheme but I would rather have it in the kitty for next year so a much more beneficial new road is built on either the N21, N5, N17, N24 or N15 for example. The other scheme I'm dubious about is the N4 Downs grade seperation. The AADT on that stetch is not high enough to cause issues on the at-grade junctions.

I dont believe in spending on minor schemes just because they are cheap we have the funds available, we should be looking at saving for the more beneficial projects in this country even if it took a year or two to save it for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Both arguments are valid here...

yes people spend ages stuck in traffic around the entrance to town on n21.
    but also, improving both the n21 and n22 would be beneficial.

just last weekend, i travelled from tralee to galway.
    more than half the time was spent getting to adare.
    from adare to galway city just went swimmingly ... motorway, tunnel, dual-carriageway, motorway...
    but jeez the tralee to adare drive was hard work!!

and as for tralee to cork ... don't get me started.. this road is so bad it just cracks me up!
    (but hey, the m20 cork-limerick must take priority over the n22)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hoof Hearted

So any news on when this will officially start?
    Are they doing the Tralee to Bealagrellagh section as a separate phase or will they be doing this and the N69 to N70 C-Ring all as one project?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭flutered

the contractor is waiting for the go ahead, i am led to believe that it will take two years to complete.

That's good to hear.

The idea of having a separate N22 approach to the town is better than the late 90s proposal to make the N21 approach into a 2 lane each way dual carriageway, as all that traffic would still have been feed into single lane standard.

When the bypass and N22 approach are completed quite a number of new options of going into or bypassing the town become available, hence one will be able to bypass the Manor shopping center traffic, which really should never have been located on the only National Primary route into the town. It would be interesting to see how traffic will split up when approaching from the Cork and Limerick roads, sort of like load balancing on a mesh network to use an IT term.

I believe the council have advanced plans for continuing a ring road west of the N69 possibly as far connecting to the N86 Dingle road, I'm sketchy on the details of this though, can anyone enlighten me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

from Radio Kerry News:

BAM Construction has won the contract for the Tralee Bypass. The project involves four routes; the N69 Tralee-Listowel road at Forge Cross; the N22 near Ballygarry Hotel, to the N71 Tralee-Killorglin road; the N71 joining the Tralee-Killarney at Bealagreallagh; the Tralee Bypass to Forge Cross on the Listowel Road; Last year, the tender process for the Tralee bypass was suspended temporarily, due to issues thrown up by the archeological survey. The Department of Transport confirmed the project would go ahead this year despite cutbacks contained in the Governments 4 year plan. Fine Gael Councillor Jim Finucane says contracts between BAM and Kerry County Council are currently being finalised.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

dmeehan wrote: »
    from Radio Kerry News:

Every route number is wrong on that report except the N69. N22 should be N21 (The road won't even lead to the N22 after this as I see it.) and the N71 (In reality Killarney-Bantry-Bandon-Cork) should be N70.

dmeehan wrote: »
    from Radio Kerry News:
    BAM Construction has won the contract for the Tralee Bypass. The project involves four routes; the N69 Tralee-Listowel road at Forge Cross; the N22 near Ballygarry Hotel, to the N71 Tralee-Killorglin road; the N71 joining the Tralee-Killarney at Bealagreallagh; the Tralee Bypass to Forge Cross on the Listowel Road; Last year, the tender process for the Tralee bypass was suspended temporarily, due to issues thrown up by the archeological survey. The Department of Transport confirmed the project would go ahead this year despite cutbacks contained in the Governments 4 year plan. Fine Gael Councillor Jim Finucane says contracts between BAM and Kerry County Council are currently being finalised.

The only thing I got out of the Radio Kerry news report is the contract been won. I think the actual name of the contractor is BAM Civil. Almost everything else on that report is a soup of inaccuracy and confusion, pity because to me it's the biggest news story for the town in donkey's years.

Main thing is the contract has been won (hopefully that implies awarded), and Tralee can count itself lucky on this one, as it looked like this would be cut with the state of the finances. I still would like to hear the words, "contract is signed". Congratulation to all those involved for keeping the pressure on to make this happen. If this helps in some way in furthering the development of the Pharmaceutical Research Center project in Tralee it will be all the more worth it.

The project is historical in terms of infrastructure to Tralee, probably eclipsing the Tralee ship canal, and the arrival of the railway. Tralee for its size was one of the last towns left with a primarily radial road layout with few options to avoid the center. Can't wait to see it come to fruition. :)

In the preliminary report it says:
    The basis for the provision of roundabouts on the Tralee Bypass Type 2 Dual Carriageway has
    been determined in accordance with paragraphs 2.26, 2.27 and 2.41 of NRA TD 10/07.
    Paragraph 2.26 states that the permitted junction types on Type 2 Dual Carriageways are
    roundabouts, compact grade separation and left-in/left-out junctions. It should be noted that the
    use of full grade-separation on Type 2 Dual Carriageways is not permitted.

What's the difference between a compact GSJ and a fully grade-separated junction? Would a pair of LILOs with a fly-over be considered a compact GSJ or fully grade separated junction? Or would a compact GSJ be considered more like this : (Junction on WS2 N22). Finally, what's the reasoning behind this? Or is a fully grade separated junction like an interchange which wouldn't be useful on a 2+2 anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Adro947 wrote: »
    Would a pair of LILOs with a fly-over be considered a compact GSJ or fully grade separated junction?

I'll defer to those with superior judgement, but I think a pair of LILOs with a flyover would not be considered a full GSJ. Claremorris bypass has one, and that's only a single-carriageway road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

For anyone who's interested, here's my map of the Tralee Bypass scheme. (I couldn't get the map to start on Tralee, so zoom in on it.)

The C-Ring is in dark green which is my colour-coding for Type 2 Dual. The ring to N22 segment is light green which indicates single carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Is the Type 2 Dualler really going to end on the N70 with that atrocious hairpin about a mile away?

Edit: Ok its the Ring of Kerry, but cmon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would a pair of LILOs with a fly-over be considered a compact GSJ or fully grade separated junction?

Thats a compact GSJ
    Or would a compact GSJ be considered more like this : (Junction on WS2 N22).

Thats not a totally GSJ due to the right turn remaining. There's a few total compact GSJs on WS2 roads though, IIRC the Croom BP has one, the Drumsna BP has one, etc.

Finally, what's the reasoning behind this? Or is a fully grade separated junction like an interchange which wouldn't be useful on a 2+2 anyway?

Full grade separation gives the impression of a higher speed road, apparently. They don't want people doing 120km/h+ on 2+2s (although the type would be 112km/h in the UK rather than 96...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

MYOB wrote: »
    Thats a compact GSJ

Thats not a totally GSJ due to the right turn remaining. There's a few total compact GSJs on WS2 roads though, IIRC the Croom BP has one, the Drumsna BP has one, etc.

Full grade separation gives the impression of a higher speed road, apparently. They don't want people doing 120km/h+ on 2+2s (although the type would be 112km/h in the UK rather than 96...)

Almost all dual-carriageways and motorways in the UK are 70mph, even when the dual-carriageways are like this:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=A90,+AB30+1,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=57.011465,-2.17438&spn=0.00079,0.002642&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=6.881357,14.941406&geocode=FZA2ZAMd6Lvb_w&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=57.011465,-2.17438&panoid=BPA3KVhcL61N3dxT2aw6tg&cbp=12,23.05,,1,5.89

Note the gap in the median, allowing for right-hand turns across oncoming traffic, and the minor road to the left, complete with bus-stop, meaning that slow moving buses will be coming out from the side road onto the main carriageway.

This is followed by a steep climb with a sharp bend near the top of the hill.

And all at 70mph!

Is the Type 2 Dualler really going to end on the N70 with that atrocious hairpin about a mile away?

Edit: Ok its the Ring of Kerry, but cmon.

It's not the ring of Kerry. The N70 makes up most of the ring of Kerry, but not that section of it. The N70 is in general however, a very bad road.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    For anyone who's interested, here's my map of the Tralee Bypass scheme. (I couldn't get the map to start on Tralee, so zoom in on it.)

The C-Ring is in dark green which is my colour-coding for Type 2 Dual. The ring to N22 segment is light green which indicates single carriageway.

Thanks for your map which clarifies the scheme better than the official documents.

So will motorists coming from Killarney direction that need to go to Manor via Ballycarty N21 on old section of N22 still be able to do so? If so does that mean another roundabout on the N22? I guess anything to slow momentum and burn extra fuel. ... Or else they could block off this section completely from the N22 accessible by local roads only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/tralee-bypass-goes-ahead-2803666.html

THE contract for the long awaited Tralee bypass is to be signed this Friday.
    Following a lengthy tender process involving five companies, Kildare based BAM construction have been awarded the contract by the NRA. The contract is due to be signed by representatives of the firm and Kerry County Council in Castleisland this Friday.
    Last January the last government announced funding of € 16,350,000 had been made available for the project.
    Around 60 per cent of the lands needed for the bypass have been purchased under compulsory purchase orders with the process of purchasing the remaining lands still underway and at an advanced stage. Some 70 landowners along the route are involved in the CPO process.
    The bypass, which the Department of Transport described as vital to the future development of the county capital, was one of just six major road projects nationally that the government have guaranteed to go ahead before 2015. It is now expected that work on the project will get underway later this year.

ongarboy wrote: »
    http://www.kerryman.ie/news/tralee-bypass-goes-ahead-2803666.html

THE contract for the long awaited Tralee bypass is to be signed this Friday.
    Following a lengthy tender process involving five companies, Kildare based BAM construction have been awarded the contract by the NRA. The contract is due to be signed by representatives of the firm and Kerry County Council in Castleisland this Friday.
    Last January the last government announced funding of € 16,350,000 had been made available for the project.
    Around 60 per cent of the lands needed for the bypass have been purchased under compulsory purchase orders with the process of purchasing the remaining lands still underway and at an advanced stage. Some 70 landowners along the route are involved in the CPO process.
    The bypass, which the Department of Transport described as vital to the future development of the county capital, was one of just six major road projects nationally that the government have guaranteed to go ahead before 2015. It is now expected that work on the project will get underway later this year.

via Radio Kerry News:
    Contract for the N22 Tralee Bypass to be signed today
    The Contract Signing for the N22 Tralee Bypass takes place today. Mayor of Kerry Pat Leahy will sign the contract with BAM Construction, the Irish company that recently completed the Castleisland bypass. The conference room at Áras an Chontae, will this morning host the signing of the contract for the 13 point five kilometer N22 Tralee Bypass. The scheme will comprise of an eight kilometer dual carriageway eastern bypass of Tralee, and a five and a half kilometer single carriageway link road from the proposed bypass to the N22 Killarney road at Bealagrellagh. Minister for Arts Heritage and the Gaeltacht Jimmy Deenihan has welcomed the contract and says he's delighted to see the provision of a cycle track included in the plans. The €30 million project is expected to take 21 months to complete creating 150 jobs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Thanks for your map which clarifies the scheme better than the official documents.

So will motorists coming from Killarney direction that need to go to Manor via Ballycarty N21 on old section of N22 still be able to do so? If so does that mean another roundabout on the N22? I guess anything to slow momentum and burn extra fuel. ... Or else they could block off this section completely from the N22 accessible by local roads only.
    Thanks Hoof!
    I would assume the old road will still be accessible with a roundabout. I don't think that's a significant imposition on the N22 motorists. Surely you must agree that there remain a way of getting between the N21 and 22?

So the contract was signed last Friday. Anyone know when we can expect work to start?

150 jobs to be created as contracts are signed for € 97m Tralee bypass

THE contract for the construction of long awaited Tralee bypass project were signed at County Buildings in Tralee on Friday and work on the €97 million project will get underway within weeks creating 150 jobs in the locality.

In one of his final acts as Mayor of Kerry Cllr Pat Leahy signed the contracts with contractors BAM Civil in front of a large audience including members of Kerry County Council, Tralee Town Council and a number of Kerry's Oireachtas members.

The €97.03 million project will see the construction of an 8km Dual Carriageway to the east of Tralee, as well as a 5.5km single carriageway link road from the Bypass to the N22 Killarney Road at Bealagreallagh.

The scheme will connect four of the five national routes that terminate in Tralee and will improve the road transport corridor between Tralee and Killarney.

Construction of the Bypass is on a 21-month contract and 150 people are expected to be employed during construction.

The outgoing Mayor welcomed the project and said he was looking forward to seeing work begin in the next few weeks.

"This is a fantastic boost for the town of Tralee and for the county as a whole," he said.

"From an economic point of view, there is a benefit to the county from the employment of people who live locally and will be spending their money in local businesses and also for landowners who have had land purchased for the project," Cllr Leahy said.

"There will also be a huge benefit to the town of Tralee in relieving traffic congestion on entering the town.

"Now traffic heading to North, South and West Kerry will be able to avoid the centre of the town, reducing congestion and travel time and Tralee town centre will also benefit," he said.

County Manager Tom Curran said the importance of the road network in Kerry was crucial for the economy, as it facilitated agriculture and tourism, two of Kerry's major employers.

He paid credit to the National Roads Association for their assistance in bringing the project to fruition and also stated that the town of Tralee would benefit greatly.

Link

Ha Ha,...., the National Roads Association....I must join that association:)

97mill project, biggest single project in Tralee, good times or bad.

Preparatory works have started today on the Tralee Bypass.
    They'll continue for two weeks, and involve the installation of site offices.
    Contracts for the 13.5km €97million project were signed just over two weeks ago.
    The N22 Tralee Bypass Road Improvement Scheme comprises of the construction of an 8km Dual Carriageway to the east of Tralee, as well as a 5.5km single carriageway link road from the Bypass to the N22 Killarney Road at Bealagreallagh.
    The project is expected to take 21 months to complete, with 150 people being employed during construction.
    Preparatory work involving the installation of site offices began yesterday, and is expected to continue for two weeks.

via Radio Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

97mil & 21 months.. wonder how much it will overrun on budget & time?

How much of that accounts for those blokes taking extended breaks & texting / facebooking from their phones?:rolleyes:

2 weeks to erect a few portacabins? Unbelievable.

Ah yes, a laughing stock :mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

daelight wrote: »
    97mil & 21 months.. wonder how much it will overrun on budget & time?

How much of that accounts for those blokes taking extended breaks & texting / facebooking from their phones?:rolleyes:

Its a fixed price contract* and there will be penalties for late delivery, so no budget over-run and unlikely any time over-run.

*as all state contracts of any value have been for some years.

• Advertisement

daelight wrote: »

Would you mind not posting pointless jibes? It doesn't add anything to the debate.

To install a site office requires levelling the site, creating a gravel surface, installing cables, etc. How long would you take?

Advertisement