Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules of Golf on Smartphones

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

GreeBo wrote: »
    I was thinking about this on my way into work today.

The part bolded above, to me at least, completely goes against the spirit of the game. Golf is supposed to be self-governing. But now we are no longer trusting people to have non-conforming apps but not use them. So we are no longer trusting people to not cheat or break the rules.
    Having the ability to cheat if you want (with a SmartPhone) is now illegal. What makes smart phones so special? I have the ability to cheat in numerous other ways that RANDA trusts me to not do, yet with SmartPhones they have taken a stance and decided they dont trust me.
    Ridiculous really.
    :cool:

Yep, that's true, and that is exactly why this 'rule' is a farce. Having said that, the GUI's (and more so the R&A's) stance and handling of this has been amateur at the very best.

Like I said, the issue has always been with the device, and not the software, and you being allowed use a smart-phone in a GUI comp, and being passed by a GUI official (irrespective of the software installed) goes against every aspect of the rule. I've PM'd you for more details, as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Like I said, the issue has always been with the device, and not the software

I'm re-reading the flow chart again and the bit that makes all Smart Phones non-conforming (and imo all GPS device) is the wording of
    "Is this other information or measurement tool only accessible via an internet browser or shortcut to the internet"

As far as I can make out my Smartphone is legal up until this point and its because the gyroscope & compass are capable of measuring this without the internet, even though once I have deleted the appropriate apps Im not able to access this information.

I'm not sure why they have distinguished between "the internet" and "other features/applications".

How can they trust me not to access the internet but they dont trust me not to access another app on the same phone?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

I'm re-reading the flow chart again and the bit that makes all Smart Phones non-conforming (and imo all GPS device) is the wording of
    "Is this other information or measurement tool only accessible via an internet browser or shortcut to the internet"
    You are making the argument that all GPS devices are 'potentially' illegal to use, when the R&A specifically say that any 'dedicated' laser or GPS device is legal. The question is not about how GPS devices gauge where the golfer is and where the hole is, as it does not come into question or up for scrutiny.

The R&A state, that once a local rule is in effect and if the device is a dedicated DMD, well then there is no issue (assuming it's only distance).

Where they have fudged the issue is with regards to Smart Phones. Forget about making the argument that GPS devices 'should' be illegal, because they won't be, as the R&A have specifically stated that they are not.

The issue is with Smart Phones, and the device capability. Not the software.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Surely it would be simpler for the R&A to grow a pair and just make all non-dedicated DMDs illegal for competition play?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Surely it would be simpler for the R&A to grow a pair and just make all non-dedicated DMDs illegal for competition play?

Arent you then just moving the argument to what "dedicated" means?
    Dedicated to what? A Golf buddy isnt "dedicated" to telling distance, it also has maps of the green, bunkers etc, etc.

How about a GPS device that also connects to the internet or has a compass? (Like those used in hiking/orienteering for example)

They should just define what information its possible to use and what it isnt (like they already have!) and then its up to each golfer to obey these rules, in the same way it always was. Why they deemed it necessary to bring in these new rules is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I fear that might be the only solution. If you restrict the use to dedicated devices then you are taking out the posibility of apps being used on a smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Arent you then just moving the argument to what "dedicated" means?
    Dedicated to what? A Golf buddy isnt "dedicated" to telling distance, it also has maps of the green, bunkers etc, etc.

How about a GPS device that also connects to the internet or has a compass? (Like those used in hiking/orienteering for example)

Dedicated in that it has been built with the sole intention of being a golf DMD as opposed to a multi-funtion device. Make the rule clear enough and then manufacturers will fall into line

Advertisement