Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf in portugal

• 20-03-2014 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Heading to the algarve for a week in May with the family. I'm the only one that plays golf. Been over a few times before and never got a round in, but would absolutely love to.

Have seen that place in Faro airport where you can rent clubs for a week, but im thinking a bag of clubs probably wont fit in the rental car so can clubs be rented from a course? how would i go about getting a playing partner?

If anyone has any advice on this it would be appreciated...

Padz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I went to Portugal a few years back with 3 of the lads and clubs... We rented one of those people carrier cars - it was a VW & a piece of ****, but carried us all, our bags and our clubs no problem.

I also played my best round of golf ever while I was there.

PS... don't try to take a motorway exit at 120k, those cars are not meant to be driven...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

padzer wrote: »
    Heading to the algarve for a week in May with the family. I'm the only one that plays golf. Been over a few times before and never got a round in, but would absolutely love to.

Have seen that place in Faro airport where you can rent clubs for a week, but im thinking a bag of clubs probably wont fit in the rental car so can clubs be rented from a course? how would i go about getting a playing partner?

If anyone has any advice on this it would be appreciated...

Padz

Most courses will rent you clubs. You can call up and book a tee time and reserve the clubs at the same time. Ask them to find you a partner/s - they probably would anyway to fill up the time slots. If you plan to play more than once then clubstohire.com is worth it (and convenient). There can't be that many cars that don't fit clubs easily.

Where are you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

Most courses will rent you clubs. You can call up and book a tee time and reserve the clubs at the same time. Ask them to find you a partner/s - they probably would anyway to fill up the time slots. If you plan to play more than once then clubstohire.com is worth it (and convenient). There can't be that many cars that don't fit clubs easily.

Where are you going?

Thanks for that, ah i was just saying that with 4 adults n the youngfella and all the baggage there mightnt be room for clubs.

Staying in portimao/praia da rocha, ive seen signs for courses when out and about driving, so ill have a look on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

padzer wrote: »
    Thanks for that, ah i was just saying that with 4 adults n the youngfella and all the baggage there mightnt be room for clubs.

Staying in portimao/praia da rocha, ive seen signs for courses when out and about driving, so ill have a look on the internet.

Might be a chance to test yourself with a half bag Padzer. Some lads do it on here at their home course as a practice tool.

Throw a putter, PW, 8, 6, 4, 3h, driver into a pencil bag and it may squeeze into the car.
    You may be able to leave the driver at home if they are short enough courses.

Just another option for you. Not ideal but it'll take up very little room and may work.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

OP
    During a 5 day break to the algarve last year I played the silves course which is a member of the pestana group

http://www.pestanagolf.com/

I just landed up to the club house one morning and explained my situation(i had never played golf in portugal and could they do anything for me at a reasonable price) and that afternoon I played 18 holes with clubs(they were grand) included for €80.
    They asked if I wanted to play with others but I declined and brought my willing gf instead as my caddy : ) and for the "walk".;)
    Course was immaculate but short enough from the tees that were out the day I played.

detail_Silves%20golf%202.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think you should be close to Elche as well which has two courses.
    Renting at the clubs can be hit or miss, though I have used McGinley's crowd in Faro airport and highly recommend it.
    When you book ask to be put with someone who's playing on their own too, I tried that at Parque de Floresta (closest to where I stay ~Luz) and they slotted me in with an English couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

Thanks for that lads, that info was just what i was looking for.

That Silves course is only 20mins from where we are staying and 80quid is reasonable enough.

Looking forward to it now so fingers crossed i get a round in.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Hi all, I'm heading over to the Algarve later this week with the kids so packing space is at a premium.

I'm hoping to get 18 holes in at some stage with hire clubs from the course, most likely Boa Vista or Espiche. I was wondering if I'd get away with playing in trainers rather than bringing my golf shoes.

Has anybody tried it and did you have any issues with the club managers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

searay wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm heading over to the Algarve later this week with the kids so packing space is at a premium.

I'm hoping to get 18 holes in at some stage with hire clubs from the course, most likely Boa Vista or Espiche. I was wondering if I'd get away with playing in trainers rather than bringing my golf shoes.

I don't see why not? Golf shoes just give you a bit of grip, trainers won't. In fact they are a disadvantage. I've worn trainers at times when forgotten my shoes at my home club and also over in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Boavista is expensive for hire clubs, but there's a French woman owns a shop up the coast a bit that will do a day hire for €25. I'll look it up if you're interested.

If you're up to the drive, you could also pop back to Faro on your own and pick up clubs from clubstohire.com and they also hire shoes.

Haven't tried Espiche, but Boavista is lovely and not too long. They do a twilight deal of €56 for two with a buggy from 16:40 - 19:40 in the evening. Three hours is a bit of a push, but I've got through sixteen holes in that time as a two ball.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info on the courses. We aren't hiring a car so will have to hire the clubs at the courses. I can't see us playing more than twice so won't bother with clubs to hire. Hopefully will be able to haggle at the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Most of the Golf Shops will hire a set of Clubs for a Week for the same price as the Courses charge for a days hire. The Golf Courses are not into bargaining as the prices are set by Management and the Counter staff don't have any leeway.
    Gramacho and Pinta are two nice courses near Portimao well worth playing.
    Playing in Trainers is also not a problem.

I can confirm that trainers in Boavista isn't a problem. You could also get the Twilight deal but chance going out 20mins earlier and see what they say.

Heading over myself in August but not bringing clubs and not renting a car, alas no golf for me :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

hi all,

heading to Lagos next week, looking at boavista, espiche + palmares, how strict are they on the presentation of a handicap cert. before playing?

hi all,

heading to Lagos next week, looking at boavista, espiche + palmares, how strict are they on the presentation of a handicap cert. before playing?

They're not at all. Played 2 of those 3 and was never asked, of the other 2 courses I played I wasn't asked there either. I had an awful drive on the 1st in Boavista in front of the Starterand I thought "uh oh we'll get asked for certs now", the Starter had a big grin on his face and said "don't for one second blame the rental clubs I hear it everyday".

Just a thought, if I had a choice between Espiche and Parque de Floresta (about 12 mins past the turn off for Espiche, I'd choose PdF everytime).

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭sailing

Myself, my brother and Father played in the Algarve last year (6 rounds) at various clubs including the Victoria course where the Portugeuse Open is played. They are both good golfers (low single figures). I on the other hand only play a couple of rounds a year and no longer hold an official handicap. Not a single club asked us for a handicap cert during the week, nor did I see any other golfers asked for theirs. TBH the impression I got is that they are happy to take your money and for you to go out and enjoy yourself. It's also considered low season at the moment due to the summer temperatures. If you appear to half look like a golfer when you are signing in you'll be fine. No one will bother you at all. We got a little telling off on one of the courses by a green keeper for leaving a flag on the green whilst putting instead of resting it off the green which I felt was a little over the top but then it is their course. Apart from that everything was fine. We thoroughly enjoyed our few rounds down there last year.

I have played golf all over, Spain, France, Italy, Portugal and USA and a heck of a lot in Ireland.

I was only ever once asked to produce a handicap cert. I just showed them my GUI card and it was grand. The ironic thing is, it was a 9 hole public course in puerto banus... the one under the motorway, with floodlights on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭newport2

I've played about 10 courses in Portugal and the only time handicap certs were asked for was once at The Old Course. I'm quite sure they won't be asking anywhere in current times.

newport2 wrote: »
    I've played about 10 courses in Portugal and the only time handicap certs were asked for was once at The Old Course. I'm quite sure they won't be asking anywhere in current times.

was not asked for ours there 6 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭newport2

stevieob wrote: »
    was not asked for ours there 6 years ago

They asked everyone one of the days I was there. They didn't other times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Dublin72

hi all,

Played Palmares and Boavista twice in July 2012. No request for handicap certificate at either course. Really enjoyed Palmares - Fantastic track.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Thanks guys,

is there need to book on-line now or just show up?
    hope to get 2 rounds in, lets go for Parque de Florest & one other;
    of boavista, palmares, + Espiche, can you recommend one?
    we're very amateur, non handicapped....

Hi, I'm over in the Praia da luz area until Thursday week. I'm not going to play but spotted the attached offer in a local bar and thought the rates are good.

Haven't booked with the guy and not affiliated in any way but it might suit you. Temperatures are very hot from 11 to 4 so playing early or after 5 when there's a breeze would be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Hi, I'm over in the Praia da luz area until Thursday week. I'm not going to play but spotted the attached offer in a local bar and thought the rates are good.

Haven't booked with the guy and not affiliated in any way but it might suit you. Temperatures are very hot from 11 to 4 so playing early or after 5 when there's a breeze would be best.

Courses close relatively early there, so after 5 is usually a twilight deal. I know Boavista charged €56 for two with a buggy from 4:40 to 7:40 (closing time).

Thanks guys,

is there need to book on-line now or just show up?
    hope to get 2 rounds in, lets go for Parque de Florest & one other;
    of boavista, palmares, + Espiche, can you recommend one?
    we're very amateur, non handicapped....

I can't answer for Palmares, Boavista is ok, last three holes are a bit boring, some holes feel quite squeezed in with the apartments looking on, but that might be due to me not being used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Played palmares in june, it was an interesting experience.

The cons: Quite expensive (true of all the courses there), plus you will need a buggy, its very hilly, and you do not want to be walking the course in August heat. Its also quite hard to find the first time, about 15 mins drive out past meia pria from Lagos. I would budget something like €120 to play, hire clubs and a buggy, assuming you can find a partner. The rack rate for green fees is about €80 at all the courses.

The pros: Absolutely gorgeous setting, down in the dunes or up on the bluff, lots of the holes are stunning. There was about 3-4 holes where you are teeing off from a good 50-100ft above the landing area, and on one in particular... if you get the right bounce... making the green on a par 5 is possible! Clubs that they have to hire are excellent, a brand new (looking) set of top of the range clubs, taylormade driver etc. No apartments or any development encroaches on the course, you don't have to worry about breaking someones window!

There are 27 holes, nine of which are along the coast and are links (of a sort). The links are extremely difficult, with large waste areas on narrow fairways, where you will probably lose your ball. I was foolish and hit driver where there was no need and lost any chance of a good score. The other 18 holes are really, really pretty, full of old trees, dramatic elevation changes, really inviting tee shots and well bunkered greens.

I would say if you can get reception or someone locally to ring up and try and organise a deal, that would be the best bet. Don't book online, if you go and its 35 degrees out, the course will be empty anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi,

I'm heading to Lagos in 3 weeks time and have persuaded herself to let me out. Thinking of playing Boavista, but just wondering about the heat - anyone play in August? I'd be happy to head out there early and play away, coming in if it was too hot. Also, is it a handy enough course - don't feel like a challenge really, just something to enjoy!

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Brewster

I've played there last two summers in August, even teed off at 1pm to get the cheap rates! Once you have a buggy and lots of fluids it is fine. It is not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Brewster wrote: »
    I've played there last two summers in August, even teed off at 1pm to get the cheap rates! Once you have a buggy and lots of fluids it is fine. It is not an issue.

Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

Bumping this rather than start a new thread, heading over for a few days in March for 4 days of golf, plan is to play Parque de Floresta on one day, leaving three days still to be filled, not a huge fan of Boavista so I was thinking of Pestana and picking 3 courses.
    What three would be deemed to be the best?

Also, does anyone know where I could get a golf only package for the courses? We have accommodation sorted and are hiring clubs at the airport so just need green fees and a buggy. I've already emailed Pestana direct to see if they could offer something, waiting to hear back.

Cheers.

Advertisement