Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scratch Cups 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Regarding Lucan, could be worth ringing the proshop, although the timesheet for the JSC is full there are loads of spaces on the timesheet for the SSC. It's the same course, day and times for both just a different starting tee so don't see why they can't mix the slots since the JSC has such a wider handicap range.

There might be a few more spots available if the senior doesn't fill up by the end of the week. A decision will be made at the weekend. I can promise that you won't play on better greens this year. They are phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pints?

Have to agree with pinkdoubleeagle re Lucans greens. Without doubt the best greens I've ever putted on. Always in great nick for the scratch cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 coinman79

Pints? wrote: »
    Have to agree with pinkdoubleeagle re Lucans greens. Without doubt the best greens I've ever putted on. Always in great nick for the scratch cups.

The Lucan greens are really starting to come on. As a member naturally I am going to be biased but I cannot think of more purer greens on a parkland course in the country.

With regard to the SSC timesheet opening up for the JSC this will more than likely happen from early next week. You can either call the club or contact pinkdoubleeagle

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

I've a tee time booked for 9.30am for the Junior Scratch Cup (5-10) at Tralee Golf Club next Saturday. Unfortunately I can't go, anyone interested in taking it send me a PM, €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lahaina

Guys, does anybody know if any/many of the good links courses in the North host scratch cups? I love playing links golf and scratch cups are normally a good way of playing really top courses at competitive rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Tralee Golf Club Intermediate Scratch Cup –

Carlton Hotel Group

May 31, 2014

Intermediate Scratch Cup – Carlton Hotel Group
    Timesheet opens 12th May 9.00am ( BRS TEE TIME BOOKINGS)
    H/C 10 to 18 no drop down
    Entry Fee €35 Euro

fyi...taken from their website

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

fearruanua wrote: »
    Tralee Golf Club Intermediate Scratch Cup –

Carlton Hotel Group

May 31, 2014

Intermediate Scratch Cup – Carlton Hotel Group
    Timesheet opens 12th May 9.00am ( BRS TEE TIME BOOKINGS)
    H/C 10 to 18 no drop down
    Entry Fee €35 Euro

Thanks. We were just discussing the Tralee scratch cup today while playing the Intermediate Scratch Cup at Thurles. Really hoping to make the one in Tralee this year.

fyi...taken from their website

Thanks. We were discussing the Tralee scratch cup while playing the Intermediate Scratch cup in Thurles today. Really hoping to make it to Tralee this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

ballyk wrote: »
    Thanks. We were discussing the Tralee scratch cup while playing the Intermediate Scratch cup in Thurles today. Really hoping to make it to Tralee this year.

Played last year and was lucky to get a tee time. went online about 2/3 hrs after the timesheet opened and there were only a few slots left.
    be warned. timesheet fills up very quickly.

Does anyone know what date the Mullingar Scratch Cup is on this year?. There is nothing showing on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Does anyone know what date the Mullingar Scratch Cup is on this year?. There is nothing showing on the website.

Traditionally August Bank Holiday weekend PDE, as far as I know...

• Advertisement

Traditionally August Bank Holiday weekend PDE, as far as I know...

Usually although was on May 18/19 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Usually although was on May 18/19 last year

Really? No memory of that. Too rich for my blood anyway so maybe not a surprise :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20 coinman79

August 3/4 as per GUI fixture list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

coinman79 wrote: »
    The Lucan greens are really starting to come on. As a member naturally I am going to be biased but I cannot think of more purer greens on a parkland course in the country.

Come on?!

They have been unreal the last 3 years:D

AGC wrote: »
    Come on?!

They have been unreal the last 3 years:D

Are you playing this year?

Are you playing this year?

Unfortunately not this year. Ill be away with work:mad:

No worries. Will get you up on a Tuesday Open for a putting lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

36 hole Junior scratch cup in Dunmurry Springs. Date is the 10th of May. Course is in great shape. Famous fast greens are back after the great weather we've just had. Played off the Blues and I don't think anyone has broke par on it yet. Great test. All details on website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Ben1977 wrote: »
    36 hole Junior scratch cup in Dunmurry Springs. Date is the 10th of May. Course is in great shape. Famous fast greens are back after the great weather we've just had. Played off the Blues and I don't think anyone has broke par on it yet. Great test. All details on website

love this course,real test,however I don't see the point in a 36 holer,driving from Dublin and playing 36 holes is just too long of a day for me personally with a few kids etc.
    I was going to play glen of the Downs today but 30 for an average course imo is rip off.
    Plan is delgany next week and really looking forward to Courtown the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

Shot 81 round hollystown off 18 in the minor scratch cup, weird day no birdies but made no mistakes. reckon a nice cut coming my way from 17.7 to about 15 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

love this course,real test,however I don't see the point in a 36 holer,driving from Dublin and playing 36 holes is just too long of a day for me personally with a few kids etc.
    I was going to play glen of the Downs today but 30 for an average course imo is rip off.
    Plan is delgany next week and really looking forward to Courtown the following week.

Agree with you totally. There's been a couple of 36 hole scratch cups I'd love to have played but just couldn't. Add in travel time and you could be talking about 12 hours you'd need to put aside. That's too much of a Saturday/Sunday for me to keep free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

big_drive wrote: »
    Agree with you totally. There's been a couple of 36 hole scratch cups I'd love to have played but just couldn't. Add in travel time and you could be talking about 12 hours you'd need to put aside. That's too much of a Saturday/Sunday for me to keep free

and you also need to organise your own 3 or 4 ball as the amount of walk offs after 18 holes that I've heard about is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Seapoint Junior Scratch cup on tomorrow, 36 holes. If you have never played this course it's worth the journey to Co. Louth. Magnificent championship course and a very tough track off the blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

big_drive wrote: »

Travel time is a big factor (both in terms of time and expense) and as such in my view makes travelling to a 36 hole scratch cup more worth while. For a distant course travelling up to an hour each way you're spending 2hrs travel for 4hrs golf so if you can set the day aside 8hrs golf is a great return on your travel time. They're a great day out and test of golf and usually exceptional value.
    and you also need to organise your own 3 or 4 ball as the amount of walk offs after 18 holes that I've heard about is a joke

Not in my experience so far, I've played seven 36hole scratch cups in the past two years and have had one playing partner walk off after 18 but that was due to back injury than indifference. Each time I did not previously know my playing partners having just put my name down randomly on the time sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Travel time is a big factor (both in terms of time and expense) and as such in my view makes travelling to a 36 hole scratch cup more worth while. For a distant course travelling up to an hour each way you're spending 2hrs travel for 4hrs golf so if you can set the day aside 8hrs golf is a great return on your travel time. They're a great day out and test of golf and usually exceptional value.

Not in my experience so far, I've played seven 36hole scratch cups in the past two years and have had one playing partner walk off after 18 but that was due to back injury than indifference. Each time I did not previously know my playing partners having just put my name down randomly on the time sheet.

i know this limits the field to about 70-80 players but in athenry they do a shotgun start for junior scratch and then reshuffle the field at the half way point based on the score you bring in for round 1. In my opinion this would help limit the walkouts as you will have players withdraw after the 1st round and with the reshuffle of groups they can be accommodate afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Back9bandit

Senior, Junior and intermediate scratch cups, time sheets open for booking now

What won in Lucan?

AGC wrote: »
    What won in Lucan?

Conor O'Rourke (Naas & NUIM) won with 137, Mark Reck (Lucan) was 2nd with 144, Michael Downes (Lucan) was 3rd with 147

Thinking of playing Westmanstown Scratch Cup this weekend. Have never played the course. Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Paulusmaximus

Thinking of playing Westmanstown Scratch Cup this weekend. Have never played the course. Any recommendations?

i might play in it myself. Is it 36 holes? GUI site says 36 however on their BRS there are times to 2.00, so perhaps its only 18?

Advertisement