Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scam on commuter train

• 14-10-2012 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi , don't know if this is the right forum so feel free to move mods. Just wondering has anyone seen the woman with two kids who takes the dundalk to dublin line every day. Most days during the week, these kids (no older than 6/7 ) go up and down the train asking for money for sponsorship, using a card with just a football player on the front. Obviously a scam, and I've seen her get on and off in skerries so has anybody else noticed this woman?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

gaziah wrote: »
    Hi , don't know if this is the right forum so feel free to move mods. Just wondering has anyone seen the woman with two kids who takes the dundalk to dublin line every day. Most days during the week, these kids (no older than 6/7 ) go up and down the train asking for money for sponsorship, using a card with just a football player on the front. Obviously a scam, and I've seen her get on and off in skerries so has anybody else noticed this woman?
    You should report this to Irish rail as this type of begging is possibly illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Although I use the train both ways, 5 days a week, at peak times, I have only spotted this once. But it does seem to be the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gaziah

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Although I use the train both ways, 5 days a week, at peak times, I have only spotted this once. But it does seem to be the same person.
    usually off peak times, I'm on the 2:05 now from skerries and she is on it, although not sending the kids up and down. 2 times this week I've seen her get the 9:30 from Pearse too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

most of the "charity" collections and draws you see are scams, I give tyo noone any more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Yes many times if I happen to be on a Commuter. Total scam. I have never seen anyone give them money as most people have seen them before. Although their sponsorship card seems to have a good few names on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Yes many times if I happen to be on a Commuter. Total scam. I have never seen anyone give them money as most people have seen them before. Although their sponsorship card seems to have a good few names on it.

I remember they used to walk up the carriages on the maynooth trains with candles and leave them on the tables with notes and would come back looking for money for them. Saw that on darts as well a couple of times.

Wasn't as annoying though as being on a dart on a Monday morning and them going around with accordians to make your head even worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

gaziah wrote: »

A kid stopped into a pub I was in on Saturday in the city centre looking for sponsorship for her soccer team. Wonder is it the same crew?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Well it's nothing like the trains in some European countries where you get plagued by immigrants selling trinkets of all shapes and sizes on the trains.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

And she's probably not paying for her fare either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Part of the bye laws...S.I. No. 109/1984

No person shall—

( a ) sell or expose or offer for sale or cause or permit to be sold or exposed or offered for sale any article or goods whatsoever; or

( b ) tout, ply for, or solicit or cause or permit touting or plying for or soliciting alms, reward or custom or employment of any description.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

thomasj wrote: »
    I remember they used to walk up the carriages on the maynooth trains with candles and leave them on the tables with notes and would come back looking for money for them. Saw that on darts as well a couple of times.

Wasn't as annoying though as being on a dart on a Monday morning and them going around with accordians to make your head even worse!

And here's one for you....

23. (1) No person while upon the railway or in any vehicle shall to the annoyance of any other person or if requested not to do so by an authorised person, sing, perform on any musical or other instrument or use any gramophone, record player, tape recorder or portable wireless or television apparatus.

I like the reference to a 'gramophone'...I can't imagine someone lugging on a big His Master's Voice and 78 rpm records!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

23. (1) No person while upon the railway or in any vehicle shall to the annoyance of any other person or if requested not to do so by an authorised person, sing, perform on any musical or other instrument or use any gramophone, record player, tape recorder or portable wireless or television apparatus.

I like the reference to a 'gramophone'...I can't imagine someone lugging on a big His Master's Voice and 78 rpm records!

The first set of points would probably wreck the needle and scratch the record!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

There on the train now as I speak

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

23. (1) No person while upon the railway or in any vehicle shall to the annoyance of any other person or if requested not to do so by an authorised person, sing, perform on any musical or other instrument or use any gramophone, record player, tape recorder or portable wireless or television apparatus
    Any chance that would cover MP3's and cellular telephones? The're a lot more common that gramophones!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Any chance that would cover MP3's and cellular telephones? The're a lot more common that gramophones!:)

The reason we have mp3s and mobile phones (with headphones) is so that we don't have to listen to them (accordian players). Don't take that away from us, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

coylemj wrote: »
    Well it's nothing like the trains in some European countries where you get plagued by immigrants selling trinkets of all shapes and sizes on the trains.

Probably them bloody Irish.... "get the lasta yer Cheekie-Charlies"....:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that it says "23. (1) No person while upon the railway or in any vehicle shall to the annoyance of any other person ..."

Advertisement