Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSU Election thread ***Read post 72 before posting***

• 08-01-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

Too soon?

Nah!

So i hear there will be four sabbats instead of three with the new constitution.

I presume the meaningless/useless exec spots will be done away with.
    Eg. Finance.
    (Hows that Carbon Neutral SU coming along Declan :P)

So any Rumours/Facts?
    Who's running for what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

I love elections more than any other sport! And this is the election equivalent of a world cup year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Anyone willing to take the bet the following changes will be adopted by SU rep candidates?

ATM in the South Campus.
    Extended library hours.
    Better food services.
    And my favourite: campaigning to reduce Student fees.

Same manifestos, year-in, year-out. Just different faces, all trying to 'correct' or 'out-perform' last year's reps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I imagine we'll see the Nitelink back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

You'll never get an ATM on south campus. Not a hope.

A second one on North Campus, I think, *is* possible. Not promising anything though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I really hope there's a ban on chalk this year.

• Advertisement

Well that wouldn't really be much use considering the campus is pretty small and I've never seen more than 5 people lining up to use it in my 7 and a half years here.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Aldebaran wrote: »
    I really hope there's a ban on chalk this year.

It was banned for the First Year Representative elections, so almost definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

If they have a beatboxing leprechaun, they'll have my vote. =D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Vending machines in the callan building would be nice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

The food thing will be sorted when chill opens,

I'd imagine with the GE in the same month people will be thinking nationally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

What's the fourth sabbat's role going to be? I'm thinking possibly Clubs and Socs officer?

Hopefully this year's elections will be as interesting as last year's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

OOOOOOOOH EXCITED.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AdmaialNimitz

What's the fourth sabbat's role going to be? I'm thinking possibly Clubs and Socs officer?

Thinking of running of this one actually! :)

Are you prepared to sell out? Best do it now, we'll give you more credit for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Are you prepared to sell out? Best do it now, we'll give you more credit for it ;)

I'd actually like to know what you mean by this. I work with two full-time people who give far, far more than their job description requires.

I have no intentions in USI. My CV was pretty good coming into this job, it didn't need this extra line on it. I'd like to know exactly how I've 'sold out' if you're going to make that claim. You want a comparison of what I've done and tried to do compared to how things have been done in previous years? Or make a statement about my work ethic while in this job? That's a fight you wanna pick? Really?

Tell you what. We'll swap places for a while. On top of the normal working week + the massives of extra time that all the sabbats (and the exec, in fairness) put in, put in a 60-hour shift every third weekend, because (with Keith Broni's invaluable help) that is the *only* way that one aspect of my job, the paper, is gonna get done in the present circumstances.

So I'd like some specifics if you're going to say that I've sold out. And that goes for Liz too, who I've seen to really, *really* go above and beyond the call of duty this year for no reason other than her commitment to helping the people she works for. I'll stand up for Liz to the ends of the earth because I work 3 feet from her office and I see the hours and labour she puts in. So if you're going to criticise that I'd like some specifics. "If that's ok."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

Nision wrote: »
    (Hows that Carbon Neutral SU coming along Declan :P)
    Well, we're working on it at the moment, the Union has a very small carbon footprint so I'm quit optimistic. The university has implemented a traffic management plan which is reducing the number of cars with car pooling/cycling etc. They also put recycle bins everywhere, so it's actually coming along quite well.

We has the first meeting of the green working group, and the next meeting will be held in February, which is open to everyone to attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

declan06 wrote: »
    They also put recycle bins everywhere, so it's actually coming along quite well.

Love those bins! So handy, once I saw one of my lecturers coming out after class and throwing their class notes straight in. They were like some sort of super recycling hero or something!

That's a general statement about all wannabe politicians Rob. Relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭the_observer

Busy season. Oh boy. I'm gonna miss sleep and fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Something I've seen done by NCAD SU and really like is the idea of mass-meetings, and frequent ones at that. Union Council only really brings out a small grouping, and a certain type of folk at that (Politicos like myself, could name 70% of them) and there is little engagement with the average student. Frequent assemblies, called monthly in a large lecture hall, would allow students to discuss issues in a democratic manner with the union. They're just about that, discussion. That kinda engagement is important, and other campuses have shown it is possible. I see NCAD sometimes do them outdoors too, for example recent assemblies on fighting fees.

Also, if anyone promises they'll build a canteen/ build anything at all actually/ get cheaper booze/ dance naked if the win etc. then I hate them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭the_observer

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Something I've seen done by NCAD SU and really like is the idea of mass-meetings, and frequent ones at that. Union Council only really brings out a small grouping, and a certain type of folk at that (Politicos like myself, could name 70% of them) and there is little engagement with the average student. Frequent assemblies, called monthly in a large lecture hall, would allow students to discuss issues in a democratic manner with the union. They're just about that, discussion. That kinda engagement is important, and other campuses have shown it is possible. I see NCAD sometimes do them outdoors too, for example recent assemblies on fighting fees.

Yeah, I like that idea a lot. I know that not a huge proportion of students actually care about this kind of thing, but maybe this kind of effort to invite them to a very public and open forum might do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

Interesting idea, anyone is entitled to attend UC, but most people wouldn't find it interesting. We can hold a UGM, but I don't think it happened recently. It's something we should look into.

Yeah, I like that idea a lot. I know that not a huge proportion of students actually care about this kind of thing, but maybe this kind of effort to invite them to a very public and open forum might do something.

Yep.

It's working in other colleges, no reason it wouldn't work here. As I said such assemblies would have no voting powers as such, but would no doubt result in greater engagement between the rank and file student body and the SU, not to mention increased debate and discussion among students. Participation and debate has to mean more than an annual vote.

If twenty people show up each month, it's worth doing.
    anyone is entitled to attend UC, but most people wouldn't find it interesting

I think posters and an All Students Email for a monthly assembly or 'open meeting to discuss _________' as the need arises would bring interested students out. It would give an idea of feelings on the ground too, on a variety of issues. Around the car parking issues recently for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 NUIMRO

I'll have a natter about it when we start back:)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

Yep.
    I think posters and an All Students Email for a monthly assembly or 'open meeting to discuss _________' as the need arises would bring interested students out. It would give an idea of feelings on the ground too, on a variety of issues. Around the car parking issues recently for example.

Interesting point, but would this not make Union Council redundant? And purely theoretically would you like to follow the UK model whereby there is no UC, but merely a series of broad public consultations?

UK Sabbats spend approx 70% of their time in mass consultation with students. They do, however have massive staffs in their SUs and the inevitable (and in my experience justified) accusation is that the elected officers have even less power to reform the SUs themselves than in the Irish model. Furthermore, the massive SU staffs make it all the more likely that inconvenient non-SU policies will be be allowed to simply drag on until they expire.

I agree in principle with the main points above, but MSU's president (I have some experience here) is a member of some 30 committees which are all vitally important to ensure the student voice is heard. How could a three-person sabbat team balance time to ensure representative duties are fulfilled while also working to build up attendance at these student assemblies?

More importantly how could anyone ensure these assemblies aren't monopolised by single-interest groups. I have always taken my duties as a representative of every student very seriously, not just those that agree with my personal beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Ataxia

Interesting point, but would this not make Union Council redundant? And purely theoretically would you like to follow the UK model whereby there is no UC, but merely a series of broad public consultations?

Regular Union General Meetings would certainly make UC redundant, and allow greater participation by interested students in the running of their union. All Donal is talking about is regular meeting for discussion/debate that help inform SU policy etc.

Personally I'd be in favour of the former, but would settle for the latter as a decent compromise if needs be.
    UK Sabbats spend approx 70% of their time in mass consultation with students. They do, however have massive staffs in their SUs and the inevitable (and in my experience justified) accusation is that the elected officers have even less power to reform the SUs themselves than in the Irish model. Furthermore, the massive SU staffs make it all the more likely that inconvenient non-SU policies will be be allowed to simply drag on until they expire.

Irish Sabbats spend virtually no time in mass consultation with students. I think we should err on the side of greater participation/consultation.
    I agree in principle with the main points above, but MSU's president (I have some experience here) is a member of some 30 committees which are all vitally important to ensure the student voice is heard. How could a three-person sabbat team balance time to ensure representative duties are fulfilled while also working to build up attendance at these student assemblies?

I don't understand this argument. You send out an all student email and put up a few posters (like you do for class rep elections, union council, c&s council etc.). Not a huge extra workload, relative to the gain in direct democratic participation.
    More importantly how could anyone ensure these assemblies aren't monopolised by single-interest groups. I have always taken my duties as a representative of every student very seriously, not just those that agree with my personal beliefs.

Every student gets a voice. A student's voice is no more or less legitimate because they're part of a political group. This isn't an issue.

In general, I think its quite clear that under the present class rep system there is no real engagement between the SU and the student body. Class reps are almost always already highly politicised people who often use their class rep position to push their own personal views, with little consultation with their classes. Not to mention the fact that there are a lot of students with no rep whatsoever.

I've heard numerous Exec members complaining that students have no loyalty to their SU bar and no real sense that the union has anything to do with them. Student assemblies offer the chance for genuine involvement in their union, in a way that rebranding the bar as 'Your Clubhouse', and similar efforts, never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭manna

Ah elections! I'm ready for people to start trying to buy me with empty promises...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Ataxia

Should this be a sticky?

Should this be a sticky?

No way I'm electing a sticky!
    Political joke of the day there....

As for the elections, it'd be super if people could promise not to do this kind of lame CV bandwagoning. Incredibly, it looks like USI won't even fill the position.

"Cónán Ó Broin has resigned from his position as Vice-President in the USI. The organisation is unlikely to hold a by-election to fill the vacancy - O Brion's responsibilities will be distributed amongst current staff. It is believed he decided to resign from the post in favour ...of a position on the Labour party's General Election campaign team."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Ataxia wrote: »
    Should this be a sticky?

No real need, it'll be busy enough over february.

Plus most people tend to ignore stickies.

Advertisement