Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Redwid

dnme wrote: »
    So, what did you end up doing? After all your research, what are your recommendations ?

Doing transfermate registration right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Redwid wrote: »
    Looking for the same - best way to pay for the car in UK. What I've found:
    1. AIB not allowed to transfer by internet banking more that €5000;
    2. There are a limit on debit cards: €2500;
    3. You could put money on your credit card and pay from it, but dealers wouldn't like to accept credit cards;

Never heard of a limit on a debit card. Is it because it's in the uk? I bought my last 3 cars with debit card. Max was 6k no problem just a phone call from the bank when the transaction is going through. Wasn't aib though.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Redwid

etxp wrote: »
    Never heard of a limit on a debit card. Is it because it's in the uk? I bought my last 3 cars with debit card. Max was 6k no problem just a phone call from the bank when the transaction is going through. Wasn't aib though.
    Got that amount from AIB. They told me that this is a Visa limitation. May there were some changes recently? Or just for paying abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I was with natwest, visa debit. Although I was doing a sterling transaction on a uk card. So may be different limitations for your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Looking for the same - best way to pay for the car in UK. What I've found:
    1. AIB not allowed to transfer by internet banking more that €5000;
    2. There are a limit on debit cards: €2500;
    3. You could put money on your credit card and pay from it, but dealers wouldn't like to accept credit cards;

Doing transfermate registration right now.

Do the above limitations not still apply. i.e. How do you transfer more than 5k into your transfremate account ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Normally you can transfer €5k online and then a further €5k by phone per day - so that's €10k per day.

Do this to Transfermate 2 days in a row and that's your €20k car.

This is what I did. I then flew over, inspected the car and once I was happy I called Transfermate and they did an urgent transfer. The money was in the dealer's account about 2 hours later and I drove home - process worked perfectly.

Make sure you tell Transfermate it's for a car purchase and they will go out of their way to get the process executed quickly. Great service.

Kace wrote: »
    Normally you can transfer €5k online and then a further €5k by phone per day - so that's €10k per day.

Do this to Transfermate 2 days in a row and that's your €20k car.

This is what I did. I then flew over, inspected the car and once I was happy I called Transfermate and they did an urgent transfer. The money was in the dealer's account about 2 hours later and I drove home - process worked perfectly.

Make sure you tell Transfermate it's for a car purchase and they will go out of their way to get the process executed quickly. Great service.

Do you mind me askin, how much they charged? Feel free not to answer this btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Anyone consider using these guys: carsourcedirect.ie

Seem to be more and more garages and individuals doing the trip over the water to pick up cars for import.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Anyone consider using these guys: carsourcedirect.ie

Seem to be more and more garages and individuals doing the trip over the water to pick up cars for import.

Hmmmm, I'd be carefull, a few things that strike me about the service they provide - They say the prices they quote are inclusive of vrt and vrt is payable to your local nct centre - so basically, they don't clear the vehicle for you........thats an issue, because it illegal for them to sell you a car on uk plates.
    Also, if the vrt is more than they said, you'll get stiffed for it.......when YOU pay.

Also, it seems they don't stand over what they source......they offer no warranty.
    http://carsourcedirect.ie/?page_id=127

However I offer this service too, but I VRT and Warranty all my vehicles. pm me of you want. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

I'm looking to buy it the uk soon. Is Dealers the best way to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I've used Transfermate a few times. Very good service. I also use UKForex. I usually just go with whichever rate is best on the day. Sometimes Transfermate wins, sometimes UKForex wins.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I'd be carefull, a few things that strike me about the service they provide - They say the prices they quote are inclusive of vrt and vrt is payable to your local nct centre - so basically, they don't clear the vehicle for you........thats an issue, because it illegal for them to sell you a car on uk plates.
    Also, if the vrt is more than they said, you'll get stiffed for it.......when YOU pay.

Also, it seems they don't stand over what they source......they offer no warranty.
    http://carsourcedirect.ie/?page_id=127

However I offer this service too, but I VRT and Warranty all my vehicles. pm me of you want. :pac:

I wouldn't go near them if they didn't vrt it. They offer a warranty depending on type of car. Still have my doubts about them. I'm prob going to wait til Jan/Feb to buy then look to get a few people to quote

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Do you mind me askin, how much they charged? Feel free not to answer this btw

I don't recall that there was a fee tbh, however they probably make something on the rate. Anyway they were definitely competitive so do some quick maths against any other options you have with bank etc.

This was definitely the most painless and hassle free way to do it though.

Has anybody bought from bca in Auction Centre, Blackwater, Camberley, Surrey. What airport did you fly into? Also is it best to use a creditcard at the auction and play for the whole lot on it like the deposit fees and the car itself?

Has anybody bought from BCA in Auction Centre, Blackwater, Camberley, Surrey. What airport did you fly into?

Also is it best to use a creditcard at the auction and play for the whole lot on it like the deposit fees and the car itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

Quick question ,Is it illegal to sell a car on uk plates in the republic ? Is there a problem changing over if bought here on plates?

I remember reading something on it a few years back ,even though my memory is hazy I don't think it was a positive read

I'm looking to buy in the very near future and mulling over here or there and don't want to run into problems ie fines for late reg etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Robbie G wrote: »
    Has anybody bought from BCA in Auction Centre, Blackwater, Camberley, Surrey. What airport did you fly into?

Also is it best to use a creditcard at the auction and play for the whole lot on it like the deposit fees and the car itself?
    Hi I used Heathrow Airport just because it was more convenient on this side at the time.
    I presume you are talking about Blackbushe.
    It is often cheaper to fly into Gatwick but that bit more awkward to get to the auction from there plus it is about 20 miles further on.
    I know that some friends have flown into Bristol and taken the train down but of late the cost of train journeys in the UK has spiralled.
    Its a while now since I bought anything there so I would not be up to speed on the best payment methods.
    Some credit cards offer protection if what you bought is not asit should be so perhaps that is the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Sail Rail is excellent.

The more I research this the more it looks like vrt rates have narrowed the margin/profit considerably, so unless u are bringing in multiple cars at a time it is very hard to see a significant profit when u factor in travel costs etc

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    Hi I used Heathrow Airport just because it was more convenient on this side at the time.
    I presume you are talking about Blackbushe.
    It is often cheaper to fly into Gatwick but that bit more awkward to get to the auction from there plus it is about 20 miles further on.
    I know that some friends have flown into Bristol and taken the train down but of late the cost of train journeys in the UK has spiralled.
    Its a while now since I bought anything there so I would not be up to speed on the best payment methods.
    Some credit cards offer protection if what you bought is not asit should be so perhaps that is the best way to go.

I see it's like 30 mins away from Heathrow.... The taxi would be expensive.

• Advertisement

The more I research this the more it looks like vrt rates have narrowed the margin/profit considerably, so unless u are bringing in multiple cars at a time it is very hard to see a significant profit when u factor in travel costs etc

I have to agree. I'm struggling to see any decent savings on various calculations also. Even if a car cost say an extra 1k here, I'd sooner leave the money with the local dealer and save myself all the hassle of traveling to the UK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I have to agree. I'm struggling to see any decent savings on various calculations also. Even if a car cost say an extra 1k here, I'd sooner leave the money with the local dealer and save myself all the hassle of traveling to the UK.

Its only really worthwhile for different spec'ed cars that aren't readily available here secondhand.

Robbie G wrote: »
    I see it's like 30 mins away from Heathrow.... The taxi would be expensive.
    At the crow flies or by road direct if you hire a car but if you go by train it is difficult enough. In order to get there on time I had to take the train to Reading via, I think it was Hayes and then back to Blackwater. It took an hour and a half.
    There are trains from Bristol going direct to Reading and that is why my friends took that route.
    If you have time on your hands the sail rail may be as economical as you will get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

At the crow flies or by road direct if you hire a car but if you go by train it is difficult enough. In order to get there on time I had to take the train to Reading via, I think it was Hayes and then back to Blackwater. It took an hour and a half.
    There are trains from Bristol going direct to Reading and that is why my friends took that route.
    If you have time on your hands the sail rail may be as economical as you will get
    Without reading previous posts if its Reading your looking to get to from Heathrow theres a direct bus

Without reading previous posts if its Reading your looking to get to from Heathrow theres a direct bus
    It is relative to previous posts. A poster was trying to work out how to get to Blackbushe auctions from Heathrow and train to Reading n then back to Blackwater was the route, other than Taxi etc

I wouldn't go near them if they didn't vrt it. They offer a warranty depending on type of car. Still have my doubts about them. I'm prob going to wait til Jan/Feb to buy then look to get a few people to quote
    The process of VRTing a car for another person is a bit involved and it involves the buyer having to give written permission, provide copies of documents, giving PPS numbers etc etc whereas it is very simple for the owner to pop into the VRT office.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The process of VRTing a car for another person is a bit involved and it involves the buyer having to give written permission, provide copies of documents, giving PPS numbers etc etc whereas it is very simple for the owner to pop into the VRT office.

It could also be a convenient way for the seller to stay below Revenue's radar getting the buyer to VRT it.

bazz26 wrote: »
    It could also be a convenient way for the seller to stay below Revenue's radar getting the buyer to VRT it.
    I sssssuuuuupppppooooossssseeeeee it could but I presume that they are a car sales outlet so they would be making returns and claiming back travel and fuel costs etc.
    At least to VRT the car they will have to give the UK invoice to the buyer.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Its only really worthwhile for different spec'ed cars that aren't readily available here secondhand.

That's still a great deal of cars though and pricing here is much less transparent.

Most Merc, Audi BMWs that can be brought in for 20-30k will be found on the forecourts here listed at least 20% more with probably only 5% available for haggle. That's imports also, similar spec Irish cars will be dearer again.

It's true for lower price and spec cars the difference is now much more negligible.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    That's still a great deal of cars though and pricing here is much less transparent.

Most Merc, Audi BMWs that can be brought in for 20-30k will be found on the forecourts here listed at least 20% more with probably only 5% available for haggle. That's imports also, similar spec Irish cars will be dearer again.

It's true for lower price and spec cars the difference is now much more negligible.

Yeah that seems to be a fair observation. Looking at a bmw that top spec is 15k sterling, 6k vrt, whereas here mostly advertised late 20s.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement