Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

Had a problem with eir modem - it was losing internet connection. An engineer called yesterday and did a series of tests. He said to leave the modem on 24/7. I was turning it off each night after use. Is it normal to leave modem on all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Gooser14

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It can be left on, much like the phone line or the fridge is always on. When I had one I used to turn it off every time I was leaving the house or going to bed or generally not using it. If nothing else, it saved electricity (much like a TV that's been switched off instead of leaving it on standby) and not having it connected reduced the risk of electrical fires. But then again, I'm paranoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Thank you all for your replies. Since I left the modem on all the time there hasn't been any issue 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

This isn't a computer question per se but Mods please move to any appropriate forum if necessary. When I watch a Youtube video they ask me to 'Like', 'Subscribe', 'Hit the Bell', and 'Comment'. If I do one or more of these things, do they receive more payment? I like to help new crafters and cooks who make good videos but there are some which I think are really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

No they don't get a payment from you but it helps the channel as YouTube will bump up the channel on its listings and it may be suggested to other users thus helping it to get more viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I see, many thanks for replying.

• Advertisement

You know when you look at the computer and realise that you've had cap lock on, is there anyway to change it rather than delete and start again, it drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭waynescales1

If you're in Microsoft Word, then yes, select the text and press Shift+F3 together to alternate between capitalised and uncapitalised text. Otherwise no, unless you want to copy the text into Word and perform the aforementioned operation.

Thank you.👍

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭zg3409

No, but you will get notified of new videos so you are more likely to watch more of their new and old content, and YouTube will continue to suggest to you their work. The payment by YouTube is tiny.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That also works in Outlook. It usually "rotates" between all uppercase, all lowercase, and then initial letter of sentence (or of every word, sometimes) capitalised and the rest of the word in lowercase, (e.g. boards, BOARDS, Boards).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Folks, quick and probably simple question for ye :)

Currently have a laptop with a 4 slot usb hub attached. In said hub there are two printers attached along with a mouse and one slot spare, all is good.

I now have another laptop beside the main one and this needs access to the printers as well. If I connect a usb cable to the spare slot on the hub and then into the second laptop would this gain access to the printers?

If not, what might the best way to access the printers from both laptops?

Thanks in advance :)

• Subscribers Posts: 40,983 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

can you connect wirelessly to the printers?

most modern printers do not need a hard wire connection

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Negative, in essence they're only label printers, no size to them, nowt fancy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Printers are rarely quick and simple especially if you add any level of complexity.

Perhaps something like the following would work for you.

Assuming laptop A is connected to your 2 printers.

Then you would essentially be connecting laptop B to laptop A over your shared network and printing via laptop A's connection to the printers. Laptop A would need to be on. Both laptops would be on the same network assuming that both are connected to your home network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Hi all. I occasionally get this symbol while working in Excel. It appears occasionally for no reason, can you identify it please? It is beside Massachusetts on the bottom. Thank you kindly in advance.

It looks like Massachusetts was copied and pasted from another source, rather than typed. That can cause spurious characters. Try to copy and paste it in Word and select this icon (non-printing characters), it might show you what it is.

Also, is it a plain .xlsx file, or does it have any macros, etc?

Check also the conditional formatting and see if there are any rules set up.

Sorted.

How to remove geography in Excel?

Removing Data Types

1. Right-click on the cell containing the data type.
    2. Select the Data Type option.
    3. Click on Convert to Text.
    4. Your computer will then convert your data type to regular texts. ...
    5. Note that you will lose all the data initially extracted from the data type once you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Get a USB Hub.

Connect both laptops and the printers to the hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

How can I check who is on my WIFI...????

We had neighbours here recently and the wife gave them them the wifi code (they asked could they have it and she was too embarrassed to so no!

So - now I worried that they can tap into my wifi ..they live 2 doors down!

can I run a programme and see what is using my WIFI.

DOnt want to change password as I have 5-6 items in teh house on wifi..... (Sky, TV, Alexa etc)

Thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

You can just enter the IP address for the router in your browser. You'll find it on a sticker usually on the back or bottom and is entered as a normal web address http://192.168.0.1 (or whatever).

You also need the password (again, the default will be printed on a sticker).

You will find an option somewhere (varies) to View attached devices and, at a minimum, you will be able to block individual MAC addresses.

Of course, you'll need to figure which device is which MAC but it usually also shows a description of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Many thanks....

PS...how do you Block a device in the EIR settings ???

Also How can I find the MAC addresses of my own equipment.... ??? I suppose I could 'block' all device and then see what doesnt work and then unblock one-by-one to see what comes back. I see you can re-label the device on eth Router so that eventually I will have a full listing of whats running in my house.

Advertisement