Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Search - Dublin

• 18-09-2014 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hey All!

Have a family member coming back for his birthday and it's going to be quite the occasion as it's a milestone birthday and he's been away for a long time. Looking for a recommendation for a party of seven. He loves food that's a bit out there, and also full of flavour, so if anyone could recommend a place that serves exotic meat and/or insanely spicy food I would be very grateful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The Chameleon in Temple Bar might be a good choice. Really good Indonesian food. They wouldn't really have any exotic meats I don't think but it's a really unique dining experience for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

777 does great food but it can be noisy and busy. But the food is really really good.

Other options might include China Sichuan out in Sandyford (their authentic dishes can be pretty powerful) or Ananda (Indian) in Dundrum. Both are high standard dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Chameleon in Temple Bar might be a good choice. Really good Indonesian food. They wouldn't really have any exotic meats I don't think but it's a really unique dining experience for Dublin.

The Chameleon is a great recommendation for everything required. Also if going as a group request the low tables upstairs rather than anything downstairs which can be a bit squashed.

Another suggestion would be Salamanca on Suffolk Street/Andrews Lane. Its a spanish tapas restaurant so there is a huge array of small dishes to choose from, some quite spicy.

Also if he likes Middle Eastern food then some of those restuarants do whats called a mezze which is again great for a group to share food as literally dozens of small dishes land on your table.

Is there a specific type of spicy food he likes OP? If its Indian then I'd suggest Ananda out in the Dundrum Shopping Centre, its where Indian food meets fine dining and the chef there has won dozens of awards for his modern take on Indian cooking. The good thing about Indians is that you can specify how spicy you want your curry and they'll cook it to order. The interior of Ananda is very opulent which given its his birthday is a good thing.

Finally tell us what age he's going to be, Chameleon and Salamanca are both great restuarnats with a variety of food but they can be noisy places with little room for your elbows at the table. So if he's out for his 70th birthday he might want spicy and exotic food but in a location where having a conversation isn't sometimes difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 cross_strike

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your suggestions, they've been really helpful. He's turning 18, but he has mild aspergers and isn't a fan of crowds so something a bit quieter would probably be better.

I was speaking with him today and he said he'd like to try Lebanese food. I saw the Ceder Tree online, does anyone know what that's like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your suggestions, they've been really helpful. He's turning 18, but he has mild aspergers and isn't a fan of crowds so something a bit quieter would probably be better.

I was speaking with him today and he said he'd like to try Lebanese food. I saw the Ceder Tree online, does anyone know what that's like?

Cedar Tree is okay but might not be celebratory enough to be honest...
    How about Rasam (Indian)? It's high quality food but welcoming and friendly. They have a larger booth/table at the end of the room, looks very comfy and you should not be crowded, it's a spacious place. It gets rave reviews from everyone I know who visited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Hey everyone!

The Cedar Tree is amazing, really tasty food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Cafe Bliss is really nice too. Its just off Camden Street.

Its cheap and cheerful and you can bring your own alcohol and they dont charge for corking or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

herisson wrote: »
    Cafe Bliss is really nice too. Its just off Camden Street.

Its cheap and cheerful and you can bring your own alcohol and they dont charge for corking or anything.

I like Cafe Bliss but I wouldn't really recommend it for what OP's looking for. It's very simple food, the attraction for me is the price and the BYO policy :D

Cedar Tree is a great restaurant. I'd pick Chameleon over it personally but still a good choice.

Advertisement