Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do people think of the Icon

Options
  • 17-12-2014 5:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hey so my friend wants to drag me to the Icon this weekend. How is it? I haven't heard great things. Also what's the age limit for both weekdays and weekends, just in case I want to go back there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Hey so my friend wants to drag me to the Icon this weekend. How is it? I haven't heard great things. Also what's the age limit for both weekdays and weekends, just in case I want to go back there.

Icon is 20s any night of the week.

It's standard nightclub really.. Expensive, ****e music, but with enough drink you'll enjoy it grand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

Please only give constructive feedback rather than generalisation, for example, saying "they play sh1te music" doesn't give much information, something like "they insist on playing XXX type of music which isn't my thing" gives a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

Went once and had a bad experience so didn't return. I had plenty good nights in the Lodge though even though I had heard worse about it.

A definition of sh1te as requested :)

*expensive, chart dance music, being played too loud to be anyway coherent*

But again if youre drunk.youll have a good time..

Smyths(the adjoining pub) isnt the worst though, can be like a cattle mart, but usually a decent cover band..
    As an alternative maybe try the blind pig/Mickey martins and on to costellos

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

Clareman wrote: »
    Folks,

Please only give constructive feedback rather than generalisation, for example, saying "they play sh1te music" doesn't give much information, something like "they insist on playing XXX type of music which isn't my thing" gives a bit more.

The OP' was not mislead. They asked about our experience. Its unfair to single out the reply imo. They answered everything the OP asked. Do you have a personal issue with the subject or first responder?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

LucidLife wrote: »
    The OP' was not mislead. They asked about our experience. Its unfair to single out the reply imo. They answered everything the OP asked. Do you have a personal issue with the subject or first responder?

Good point, I wasn't replying to that post directly, I had deleted a few posts and didn't realise that the 1 before my 1 actually had mention of the music, I wasn't singling out that post but it does look like I was, sorry, in fact that type of post is what I like to see, maybe a bit more detail, but wasn't just a 1 word response (which I deleted)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭solidMGSsnake

Thanks guys, I'm more of a Costello's person, so lets hope I enjoy it( i doubt it). Also everyone's reply was fine, I understand to take replies as personal opinions and with a pinch of salt. I hear it's quite expensive in as well.

Thanks guys, I'm more of a Costello's person, so lets hope I enjoy it( i doubt it). Also everyone's reply was fine, I understand to take replies as personal opinions and with a pinch of salt. I hear it's quite expensive in as well.

I'm a little bit embarrased, but I just want to repeat, my warning above was not directed at Bennyl10's post or anyone elses, it was directed at posts I had deleted, I've no problems at all with any of the posts that are left. :o:o:o:o

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm a little bit embarrased, but I just want to repeat, my warning above was not directed at Bennyl10's post or anyone elses, it was directed at posts I had deleted, I've no problems at all with any of the posts that are left. :o:o:o:o

Ah its okay Clareman, I thought as much when the post wasn't delete, plus the clarification felt needed myself anywayv d :) and having seen the deleted posts before they were the warning was justified fully :)

OP, icon is..an experience.. Especially if you're a Costelloes fan, but it can be great craic at times! Saturday's the best night in there alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭solidMGSsnake

Well hopefully it won't be too bad. If I think of it, I'll post my impressions after I go there. Or will that be too late if the topic dies down?

Also Clareman I wasn't trying to make you feel like you did anything wrong or something. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Icon is a fine nightclub. It's dark, it's loud, it tends to be full of people, the drinks are bland and expensive, and it costs you ten quid (or more) just to get in the door. If you like clubs, you'll probably enjoy it. Especially if you're going with people whose company you enjoy! Many would tell you a club is the only place to go on the pull.

I try not to go in there myself. My limit is one or two nights clubbing in a year. Smyth's bar can be good fun before you make up your mind at 12:30 anyway, especially if you enjoy a paint-by-numbers covers set. Some great covers bands play in there, but they all seem to stick to a similar formula and save their best stuff for weddings/birthdays/whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Waggaboo

An File wrote: »
    The Icon is a fine nightclub. It's dark, it's loud, it tends to be full of people, the drinks are bland and expensive, and it costs you ten quid (or more) just to get in the door. If you like clubs, you'll probably enjoy it. Especially if you're going with people whose company you enjoy! Many would tell you a club is the only place to go on the pull.

I try not to go in there myself. My limit is one or two nights clubbing in a year. Smyth's bar can be good fun before you make up your mind at 12:30 anyway, especially if you enjoy a paint-by-numbers covers set. Some great covers bands play in there, but they all seem to stick to a similar formula and save their best stuff for weddings/birthdays/whatever.

Nail on the head. Only to add that generally hardcore Costello's heads tend to despise it. I've had many a brilliant night in both and never had any trouble in either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Waggaboo wrote: »
    Nail on the head. Only to add that generally hardcore Costello's heads tend to despise it. I've had many a brilliant night in both and never had any trouble in either.

Costelloes is good in very small doses and Christmas is a good time to hit Costelloes. Usually a spot where all sorts go to catch up. Have not been in icon for years . I'm a bit old for it now but clubs were never my thing even though I spent manys the night in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I've enjoyed the nights I've spent in the Icon. The last night I was in there the quality of the sound had improved, where I could still just about hold a conversation with my friends but I could feel the very low bass. In other words, it was a much more pleasant experience than I normally have in nightclubs.

I do prefer the place when both parts are open and in use, more fun and more to look at as I would wander around.

Advertisement