Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Book

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

GerB40 wrote: »
    Would I need to read Dunk and Egg to understand The World of Ice and Fire? I've read neither but I plan on reading both..

No ya wouldn't, the D&E period is only a tiny part of the time it covers.

There are just some mentions of characters etc. that you'll come across in the D&E's.

There are some minor spoilers in TWOIAF for the first D&E so consider that if you're going to read it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Blay wrote: »
    No ya wouldn't, the D&E period is only a tiny part of the time it covers.

There are just some mentions of characters etc. that you'll come across in the D&E's.

There are some minor spoilers in TWOIAF for the first D&E so consider that if you're going to read it first.

You made my mind up for me, Dunk and Egg it is.. Nice one bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

You made my mind up for me, Dunk and Egg it is.. Nice one bud.

I loved D&E, really enjoyable insight into Westeros when it was full of Targaryens! AWoIaF won't spoil D&E but it does have major spoilers to the eventual conclusion of The Tales, which at the moment are still unreleased by GRRM.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

There are 2 other novellas you should read after Dunk and Egg aswell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_and_the_Queen

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rogue_Prince

Both good, not as good as ASOIAF imo but definitely worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Very enjoyable read so far. Really helped put together in my head all the feckin Targaryen kings.

Some great artwork as well, especially the inside back cover of the Battle of the Trident (which correctly shows Robert and Rhaegar fighting on horseback) and inside front cover depicting Dragonstone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Bought it yesterday €18. The artwork is fantastic especially the dragon stuff.

Balerion the black dread was monstrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Quick question, I've yet to read any of the Dunk & Egg stories or the 2 recent princess and the queen and the rogue prince stories but I do intend on reading them probably before I look at a world of ice and fire.

What I was wondering is can I buy the D&B stories as standalone books or do I have to buy the anthologies that they are contained within? Is this the same for the princess and the queen and the rogue prince?

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Quick question, I've yet to read any of the Dunk & Egg stories or the 2 recent princess and the queen and the rogue prince stories but I do intend on reading them probably before I look at a world of ice and fire.

What I was wondering is can I buy the D&B stories as standalone books or do I have to buy the anthologies that they are contained within? Is this the same for the princess and the queen and the rogue prince?

Yes you can only get D&E in anthologies, same as The Queen & The Princess and The Rogue Prince. However you can find the first two D&E in comic book form, they are beautiful versions.

But you don't have to have read them to enjoy The World of Ice & Fire. TWoIAF contains a different POV of The Queen & The Princess, which is interesting.

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Yes you can only get D&E in anthologies, same as The Queen & The Princess and The Rogue Prince. However you can find the first two D&E in comic book form, they are beautiful versions.

But you don't have to have read them to enjoy The World of Ice & Fire. TWoIAF contains a different POV of The Queen & The Princess, which is interesting.

I'm not sure of the legality of what I'm about to say but surely there must be somewhere online one could read the material pertaining only to GRRMs work. It seems unfair that I have to buy whole books just read certain chapters that I'm interested in.

With ebooks and the like all over the net surely somebody would've released the relevant chapters from Dunk & Egg, The Queen & The Princess and The Rogue Prince..

Does anyone know if such a thing exists? Or if it's even legal??

I'm not sure of the legality of what I'm about to say but surely there must be somewhere online one could read the material pertaining only to GRRMs work. It seems unfair that I have to buy whole books just read certain chapters that I'm interested in.

With ebooks and the like all over the net surely somebody would've released the relevant chapters from Dunk & Egg, The Queen & The Princess and The Rogue Prince..

Does anyone know if such a thing exists? Or if it's even legal??

Yes, it exists, Yes it's illegal.

• Advertisement

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Yes, it exists, Yes it's illegal.

PM sent..

Advertisement