Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

season 5 what do expect? (for book readers)

Options
  • 24-06-2014 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭

So reason 4 is over and what are you expecting in season 5.

Sansa - story line finished in the books
    Stannis - sorts out wildlings and frees some castles
    Danny - gets married, opens fighting pits, flys off on dragon
    Tyrion - meets up with Jorah
    Cersai - goes mad gets put on trial
    Jon snow - becomes commander of the nights watch, gets stabbed
    Arya - goes to bravos
    Brianne - wanders about a bit, may have the grave digger scene
    Bran - story line finished
    Davos - lord manderly
    Sam - probably stuck on a boat for half the season then the citadel for the next half

We'll probably see lady stoneheart, a load of greyjoys and martells, possibly aegon near the end.

Not much really happens I see a lot of non book stuff happening to keep it interesting.

Looking forward to jorah and tyrion meeting up, probably going to be the highlight.

So what are you looking forward to and how do you think it'll change from the books

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

"Edd, fetch the block"... That scene is gonna be class. Plus Davos talkin to Wyman Manderley "the north remembers". Those two scenes alone will give us all a glimmer of hope that the good guys can actually succeed in Westeros.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's a lot to fit in with Dorne coming into it and presumably more Iron Islands characters too. I wonder will the pace slow down a bit and it will be interesting to see how many more characters overtake the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

GerB40 wrote: »
    "Edd, fetch the block".

Cannot wait for this scene.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Next year will most definitely go beyond the current books. Sansa and Bran can't be ignored fro the whole season. Brianne's meeting with the gravedigger looks not to happen now as she would know who he was. We might get that scene without her, maybe if he is the Hound we get some sort of "Unfinished Business" when the Mountain starts to kill again.

Arya's story should be interesting as she goes through a lot in the books in a very short number of chapters.

The story in the North should dominate things at the start, with Drone becoming more and more involved as the season goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Haven't decided if I'm going to watch yet, there were some enjoyable moments this season and I definitely enjoyed it more than 2 and 3. The ship might have sailed on this one a bit but it's one of my favourite quotes in the books.

"All you have I gave you. You would do well to remember that, bastard. As for this... Reek... if you have not ruined him beyond redemption, he may yet be of some use to us. Get the keys and remove those chains from him, before you make me rue the day I raped your mother."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I hope we get more scenes of the baby Other and the Night's King.

His first steps, his first day in school, learning to cycle, playing football together in the park, the "birds and bees" talk. They grow up so fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Sansa - DEAD
    Stannis - DEAD
    Danny - DEAD
    Tyrion - DEAD
    Cersai -DEAD
    Jon snow - DEAD
    Arya - DEAD
    Brianne - DEAD
    Bran - DEAD
    Davos -DEAD
    Sam -DEAD

Pretty much just Hodor wandering around shouting HODOR!!! HODOR!!! HODOR!!

Skipped all comments to avoid spoilers :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Next year will most definitely go beyond the current books. Sansa and Bran can't be ignored fro the whole season. Brianne's meeting with the gravedigger looks not to happen now as she would know who he was.

She never sees his face in the books, he is wearing some sort of cowl/scarf that novices wear. She would have known it was him from his scarred face in the books anyway but she never saw his face.

I think they're definitely doing it, the gravedigger is lame and we saw his leg injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

I think they're definitely doing it, the gravedigger is lame and we saw his leg injury.

I bet LS appears and all the fuss about her not appearing will be ignored (or it didn't have the emotional impact of the books) and the Gravedigger won't appear causing people to give out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I expect Wyman Manderley to be played by Brian Blessed and we get all of Manderley's associated shenanigans and he becomes everybody's favourite character. The North Remembers!

If that happened I would excuse any other indiscretions :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The blackfish and Jaime will be amazing I reckon and we'll probably see a load of Freys being killed by the brotherhood.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Could construed as a book spoiler in theory but here's some interesting casting news.

Not particularly concrete but raises some questions all the same.

Yeah read that yesterday. To expand Ayra's story in Bravos they will probably need someone they already know so makes sense.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Could construed as a book spoiler in theory but here's some interesting casting news.

Not particularly concrete but raises some questions all the same.

Well I guess it's one of 3 things. I'll spoiler just because :pac:

1:
    He replaces the Kindly Man

2:
    Sam gets to Oldtown pretty lively

3: Something completely new/different

Oh or a mix of 1 and 2 to make 4:
    He's the Kindly Man and joins Sam on trip to Oldtown

Another thing it could be
    it might not be him at all just someone using the same face.

Also, remind me about Sam and Old Town, was there
    a faceless man there?

Another thing it could be
    it might not be him at all just someone using the same face.

Also, remind me about Sam and Old Town, was there
    a faceless man there?

Do we really need spoilers? :pac: but a theory is that
    Jaqen is Pate, the guy killed in the prologue to Feast. When Sam arrives we see Pate but he acts differently. Pate met the Alchemist who I think looked like Jaqen after he changed his face when leaving Arya

A quick google will probably bring it up on westeros.org with a lot more detail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Where are Aegon and JonCon. Thinking maybe Nicholas Hoult with dyed hair for Aegon.

I take it Quentyn is going to be cut. The "contract" might have Trystane in there instead.

Doran will be a tough one to cast but hopefully they get it right. Some great scenes to be had with him.

Wyman/Davos - needs the right casting for the former. They usually come up with the goods casting wise so should be no worry.

And of course, "Edd, fetch me a block".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Casting call for Season 5 from WinterIsComing.net:
    Prince Doran Martell – Doran is described as the major new player this year, appearing in multiple episodes. The fiftysomething prince uses a wheelchair, is reclusive and rules wisely. It appears the show is looking to continue the trend it started with Pedro Pascal, and cast Latino actors for the Martell clan.
    Prince Trystane Martell – Trystane, the handsome fiance of Princess Myrcella, is being aged up to 18.
    Areo Hotah - Doran’s personal bodyguard will appear throughout the season, assisting the prince with his duties. The show is particularly looking for a black actor to fill the role.
    The Sand Snakes, Oberyn Martell’s bastard daughters (with ages ranging 18-25):
    Obara Sand – The eldest and most athletic Sand Snake will be having a major fight scene with a series regular character- not one who crosses her path in the books. This is an interesting change.
    Nymeria Sand – Nymeria is described as “mixed race,” with her father being the fairer Oberyn and her mother being darker skinned. The second oldest of these Sand Snakes, she’s beautiful, emotional and very strong.
    Tyene Sand - The youngest of the Sand Snakes that we meet uses her wits and seductive powers, and is less of a physical fighter than the other Sand Snakes. She is just as deadly as her sisters, however, but her weapon is poison.
    High Sparrow - The books’ pious head of a religious movement will be appearing in several episodes in season 5.
    Septa Unella – The show is looking for a character actress to play the imposing and unrelenting septa who spends a lot of time with a major series character next year.
    Maggy the Frog- A fortune teller in A Feast for Crows, she’ll be in one episode next year.
    Lollys Stokeworth – Just last week in “Mockingbird,” Bronn announced his intention to marry Lollys, whom Tyrion considers “dimwitted.” It looks like the sellsword will still be around next year.
    Yezzan - A sleazy Meereenese slave owner.
    The Waif – The strange child from the books that Arya encounters will likely be played by an older actress, one in her later teens, and we understand the show is specifically looking for a woman of East Asian descent for the part.

I suspect people are expecting to see far too much of ADWD / TWOW in the upcoming season. We're going to get a few hours of Dorne, lots of Cersei making an absolute balls of things in Kings Landing, Arya beginning her training, Tyrion and Ser Jorah finding their way into Yezzan's captivity, Stoneheart and the BWB, Jon becoming Lord Commander (I'd expect the Wildlings crossing the wall and his Caesar moment to be in Season 6), Dany beginning to deal with the rebellion (with her marriage and escape on Drogon again being Season 6). Aegon and Connington are definitely going to be Season 6 material if they feature

Either we're going to see more than the promised 7 seasons or some POV characters are going to be cut: Quentyn, Aegon, Connington etc.

Areo Hotah, glad they haven't cut him. Expect him to be a new favourite with the non-readers if he's done right.

Areo Hotah, glad they haven't cut him. Expect him to be a new favourite with the non-readers if he's done right.

Yep

I think this fella from Gladiator would be a good shout

Djimon-Hounsou.jpg

• Advertisement

Djimon Hounsou would be perfect for the part yeah. Though I never imagined him as black in the books.

Djimon Hounsou would be perfect for the part yeah. Though I never imagined him as black in the books.

Either did I to be honest. I pictured him as a big Arabian guy. Just from reading the casting notes they are looking for a black actor who is well built so he fits the bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Idris Elba would be good too.

Idris Elba would be good too.

I'd have Elba play any role tbh, great actor. They could cast him as Aegon and i wouldn't even be mad. :D

I think they might break the bank for a big actor for the Greyjoys next season. I foresee them being very much in the end game so the show is going to have to get people's attention with some big actors or some new action. Episode one will be Balon dying I guess & we might get a cameo of his brothers around that time. Liam Neeson as Victorian please :D(would never happen but my god it would be epic)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭omicron

I reckon given how far they've gone with some storylines that GRRM has told them that TWOW will be out before next season and that some storylines will be included from it (Bran, Sansa etc.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

omicron wrote: »
    I reckon given how far they've gone with some storylines that GRRM has told them that TWOW will be out before next season and that some storylines will be included from it (Bran, Sansa etc.)

That would be fantastic but I'm not getting my hopes up. It's only 3 years since the last book was published. Has he ever gotten one out that quickly?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭omicron

pinkypinky wrote: »
    That would be fantastic but I'm not getting my hopes up. It's only 3 years since the last book was published. Has he ever gotten one out that quickly?

Book 1 to 2 was 2.5 years and book 2 to 3 was 1.5 years, he only slowed down after that. But yeah think its just wishful thinking on my part!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Kunkka wrote: »
    I think they might break the bank for a big actor for the Greyjoys next season. I foresee them being very much in the end game so the show is going to have to get people's attention with some big actors or some new action. Episode one will be Balon dying I guess & we might get a cameo of his brothers around that time. Liam Neeson as Victorian please :D(would never happen but my god it would be epic)
    Had Victarion pictured a lot more burly and haggard than Neeson tbh. Almost like show Tormund with dark hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/25/michelle-fairley-24-lady-stoneheart/
    EW: You couldn’t have missed the online furor over the lack of Lady Stoneheart in the Thrones finale. Were you surprised by that attention?

Michelle Fairley: I actually haven’t seen any of that. I don’t look that stuff up. I avoid it like the plague. I was totally unaware.

EW: There was a lot of online conversation. I heard third-hand that you were basically told that it’s not likely to ever happen. Is that accurate?

Michelle Fairley: Yeah, the character’s dead. She’s dead.

EW: Do you have a preference at all—do you think Catelyn’s arc should end where it ended, or would you be into the resurrection idea?

Michelle Fairley: You respect the writers’ decision. I knew the arc, and that was it. They can’t stick to the books 100 percent. It’s impossible—they only have 10 hours per season. They have got to keep it dramatic and exciting, and extraneous stuff along the way gets lost in order to maintain the quality of brilliant show.

I feel sick

Advertisement