Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircoach Dublin-Cork express

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

In reference to the question about bikes, from the FAQ:
    Q: Can I bring a bicycle or other large luggage on board the Aircoach?

A: We value our customers and will do our best to accommodate you. Space permitting we will be happy to transport these items.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

One more question Sea Filly - does the driver validate the online receipt with a scanner or is it just "if it looks right it is right"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

dowlingm wrote: »
    One more question Sea Filly - does the driver validate the online receipt with a scanner or is it just "if it looks right it is right"?

He has a list and ticks off your name as you produce your receipt and issues you a ticket. No harm to have some ID with you though, as drivers may differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I hadn't realised that there are no more Cork-Dublin flights.

Other Dublin-Kerry and Dublin-Donegal, are there any more internal flights in the country?

Doesn't look like it. I suppose once EI takes a look at their arrangement with RE we might see some changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Victor wrote: »

Other Dublin-Kerry and Dublin-Donegal, are there any more internal flights in the country?

Nope.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nope.

Ryanair did a very effective job at killing the route. There was absolutely no way Cork to Dublin could ever support 4 737 flights per day. Ryanair only did it to kill off any competition from Aer Lingus and Aer Arann. Having effectively done that, they then pulled out of the market.

The route could be successful with smaller Aer Arann sized planes, but any other company would be afraid to enter the market as they would be afraid that Ryanair would just re-enter and under cut them.

I find it ironic that bus companies between our cities have to apply for licenses, which specify routes, timings, schedule, etc. and that there are only a limited number of these licenses. Yet anyone can set up an airline without the need for such a license.

While I'm usually a big fan of competition, this is a clear example of market failure. I believe the Irish Government should change the rules to licenese routes between our internal airport. If for instance they only allowed say one airline to fly between Cork and Dublin for 5 years, I'm certain Aer Lingus or Aer Arann would jump at the chance, even without a subsidy, as long as they knew that Ryanair couldn't re-enter the market and compete with them.

I know you might then say this is limiting competition, with just one airline. But the reality is that they couldn't push prices up too much as they would in reality be competing with Car, Bus and Rail on the same route.

An EI/RE ATR42 might work to feed DUB European/transatlantic at decent yield/seat if they didn't go mad trying to grab business from the rail/bus folks and attracting Ryanair's attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

bk wrote: »
    Ryanair did a very effective job at killing the route. There was absolutely no way Cork to Dublin could ever support 4 737 flights per day. Ryanair only did it to kill off any competition from Aer Lingus and Aer Arann. Having effectively done that, they then pulled out of the market.
    and it must have cost Ryanair money to do this as well, how could they be so stupid? i'm no business man but i would say spending money just to kill off competition is a waste. i would just buy in a couple of small planes if i was to do what Ryanair did.
    The route could be successful with smaller Aer Arann sized planes, but any other company would be afraid to enter the market as they would be afraid that Ryanair would just re-enter and under cut them.
    a licencing/franchising system should sort that problem
    I find it ironic that bus companies between our cities have to apply for licenses, which specify routes, timings, schedule, etc. and that there are only a limited number of these licenses. Yet anyone can set up an airline without the need for such a license.
    so do i actually, i can't understand it at all, sounds idiotic to me.
    this is a clear example of market failure. I believe the Irish Government should change the rules to licenese routes between our internal airport. If for instance they only allowed say one airline to fly between Cork and Dublin for 5 years, I'm certain Aer Lingus or Aer Arann would jump at the chance, even without a subsidy, as long as they knew that Ryanair couldn't re-enter the market and compete with them.
    absolutely agree, i would say the business traveler would use such a service thus allowing irish rail to get rid of first class, it would bring some money into the economy and maybe create a couple of jobs?
    I know you might then say this is limiting competition, with just one airline. But the reality is that they couldn't push prices up too much as they would in reality be competing with Car, Bus and Rail on the same route.
    it is limiting competition in a way but it is necessary to make sure the big companies don't come onto the routes to drive the smaller operators off and then kill off the route. for me that statement is relevant to air and road, hopefully rail sometime in the future.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

On my return leg to Cork yesterday, a stop was made in Urlingford for ten minutes. We arrived in at 20 past 9, twenty minutes late. (We left around ten minutes late due to ditherers) Not sure how I feel about that, express should be express. BUT, it is still fantastic to just bomb it down the motorway. As someone who is prone to travel sickness, a coach journey on excellent roads all the way means a lot, whatever the journey time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Has anyone tried the express service at the 6pm time? Cork - Dublin? I'm debating about taking the 5pm or 6pm service to Dublin from Cork. I'll be meeting someone in Dublin airport at 10pm so the coach suits me better, just wondering how well they make time on the busier hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Indreabhán to Inis Oirr, Inis Meain & Árainn

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sea Filly wrote: »
    On my return leg to Cork yesterday, a stop was made in Urlingford for ten minutes. We arrived in at 20 past 9, twenty minutes late. (We left around ten minutes late due to ditherers) Not sure how I feel about that, express should be express. BUT, it is still fantastic to just bomb it down the motorway. As someone who is prone to travel sickness, a coach journey on excellent roads all the way means a lot, whatever the journey time. :)

You could email them and complain about the late departure and the stop in Urlingford which in my opinion is not necessary on such a short journey!

How often do long distance buses stop for toilets on the Continent or in the Americas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You could email them and complain about the late departure and the stop in Urlingford which in my opinion is not necessary on such a short journey!

How often do long distance buses stop for toilets on the Continent or in the Americas?

Plenty of people have bladder problems and 3 hours is significant enough to warrant an unscheduled stop if requested. OAB has quite a high prevalence rate in Ireland and complaining about a driver offering someone the chance to not wet themselves on a bus seems incredibly harsh.

the fellas above who don't understand why EU airspace is liberalised is plainly too young to remember the EI/BA cartel between Ireland and the UK - as I approach 40 I admit some jealousy. Without that FR might still be puttputting from Waterford to Luton and we'd still be gawking over the sides of ferries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Tragedy wrote: »
    Plenty of people have bladder problems and 3 hours is significant enough to warrant an unscheduled stop if requested. OAB has quite a high prevalence rate in Ireland and complaining about a driver offering someone the chance to not wet themselves on a bus seems incredibly harsh.

The normal stopping service is there with its scheduled rest stop for those with weak or leaky bladders, the express/non-stop should be just that!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

I won't be using them. Their drivers scare me.

Drive behind one for a while and you'll see what I mean.

Their style of driving is aggressive and intimidating. They throw those coachs around as if they were dodgems rather than coaches with scores of people on board.

I would not feel safe.

The normal stopping service is there with its scheduled rest stop for those with weak or leaky bladders, the express/non-stop should be just that!

So travelling the entire length of the M8 and half the M/N7 is no longer an express service if one unscheduled 10 minute toilet break is taken off a M8 junction?

Good to know!

3 hours vs 3 hours 10 minutes vs 3 hours 45 minutes, only one of them is express :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

3 hours vs 3 hours 10 minutes vs 4 hours 25 minutes, only one of them is express :rolleyes:

The Aircoach stopping service is 3hrs 45 minutes with a 15 min break. The Bus Eireann one is 4 hours 25 minutes.

Whatever they do, they can't win really, as much as some people are unhappy that they do make a stop because the service gets delayed, whilst others are unhappy if they don't make a stop as they are bursting to go to the toilet. Either way it's impossible for them to win, an example from Facebook page:

Someone asks what about people that need to go to toilet during a three hour journey, They reply saying that on request they will stop in Urlingford for a toilet break. Customer replies back and says can this be announced at the start of the journey, Aircoach say we wouldn't make an announcement because it is an express service.

devnull wrote: »
    The Aircoach stopping service is 3hrs 45 minutes with a 15 min break. The Bus Eireann one is 4 hours 25 minutes.

Thanks! Post corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the express service at the 6pm time? Cork - Dublin? I'm debating about taking the 5pm or 6pm service to Dublin from Cork. I'll be meeting someone in Dublin airport at 10pm so the coach suits me better, just wondering how well they make time on the busier hours.

Yep, it's the business. Was in Dublin CC about 8.50 Friday evening. All completely chilled, the train winds me up something rotten.

I was a weekly train user from on that route until last few weeks, when I heard about the new Aircoach service.

€22 from Dublin city center to Cork City center is a no brainer.

It's quieter than the train, it's more comfortable than the train. You don't have to deal with the horrible Irish Rail staff. You can bring a bike and don't have to pay extra. The advantages are endless.

Had a 10 minute stop in Urlingford last week to get a smoke and cup of coffee in, none from Dublin to Cork on Monday.

I used to dread having to get the poxy train, I actually enjoy this bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

Condatis wrote: »
    Their style of driving is aggressive and intimidating. They throw those coachs around as if they were dodgems rather than coaches with scores of people on board.

If they're as bad as you say, the news would be full of stories about Aircoach crashes. Between the various airport services, the Cork services and the old Belfast services, they cover hundreds of thousands of miles each year. In fact, the only crash I can find was over five years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

are they sticking to the speed limit for coaches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

studiorat wrote: »
    Yep, it's the business....

Thanks studiorat, exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll be booking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The stop in Urlingford is a joke tbh. The filling station they have chosen to pull into is a kip, with the mens toilets there like something you'd find in a 1950's old man pub. Tiny, dark and smelly. There are far better service areas along that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The stop in Urlingford is a joke tbh. The filling station they have chosen to pull into is a kip, with the mens toilets there like something you'd find in a 1950's old man pub. Tiny, dark and smelly. There are far better service areas along that route.

Or coaches with wc like the Bus Nestor have.

Sea Filly wrote: »

Would just like to add, I wasn't complaining about the bus leaving ten minutes late, ditherers happen unfortunately, there's no much that can be done. I simply mentioned it to explain why the bus arrived in Cork twenty minutes late. :)

Or coaches with wc like the Bus Nestor have.

Yeah, this is where Aircoach is lacking. I occasionally get Citylink to Galway and they have WCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Condatis wrote: »

Utter BS.

I have been a passenger on Aircoaches on multiple occasions between the southside and the airport, I have also driven on the N11 on lots of occasions and observed the Leopardstown and Greystones Aircoach buses and never seen any aggressive driving.

I have also stood at the inbound bus stop at UCD and watched Aircoach drivers pull up and depart. Nothing but efficient and courteous service. They could give Dublin Bus drivers a lesson in how to stop at a bus stop without a pelvis-wrenching jolt at the last minute.

What you are claiming is complete nonsense, just doesn't happen.

• Advertisement

I was wondering why they don't use the shiny new services near Cahir actually, me and the GF usually stop there to stretch our legs and have a pee(despite our journey only being 2hr15mins, it's just comfortable).

Advertisement