Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[SC] Palmistry

• 23-01-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

A quick one. Last night I was out with a few acquaintances when one of them offered to read another's palm. This caught the attention of the majority of those there and one after another she "read" about 4 or 5 people.

She was offering specifics about their past and predictions about their future.

"You have three kids"
    "You had a bump in your marriage relationship"
    "You'll die of cancer"

The biggest problem was when she read a closer friend of mine who's just out of a long term relationship. They both know each other, not very well but well enough for the reader to know some of the details of her past relationship which she "read".
    I'm worried though that my friend believing that the reading was accurate will base her life choices on what she was told. Specifically that she should go travelling for the next 5 or so years, that she'll not meet her life partner until she's in her 30's and if she waits till then she'll live with him until her 90's.

I was obvious with my skepticism on the night and when the reader was gone I voiced my opinions more clearly but my objections were cast aside. Is there anything I can do to help show her that she heard what she wanted to hear and she shouldn't base her life off of it? I want to be careful 'cause she's not in a great place at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just call bullsh1t bullsh1t. Why not?

Out of interest, why did you not call the source of the bullsh1t out on the bullsh1t while she was still there to be exposed as a bullsh1tter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

endacl wrote: »
    Out of interest, why did you not call the source of the bullsh1t out on the bullsh1t while she was still there to be exposed as a bullsh1tter?

For one, I will need to spend the next number of months seeing the person on a weekly basis and didn't want to make things awkward, she does it as a hobby and has never charged anyone for it.

Secondly, I don't like to argue a point without having facts to back it up. I've never read up on palmistry so I wouldn't even know where to start. :o

Of course I mentioned the likes of James Randy and his foundations offer to pay out to anyone who can prove they have supernatural powers and has yet to be taken up on the offer. But it's a delicate situation and I don't want to be that asshole that makes his point whether or not it causes offence. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Take her palm and "read" it

Then advise her she needs to make a life decision based on her trust of your magic powers..

Advertisement