Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

March 2014 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭central

Great news. I saw my LO's heartbeat last Thursday, it was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Congratulations ladies I didn't get a scan first time until 13 weeks and that was because I asked to get one (fertility problems and mc risk) it was simply beautiful and you honestly could cry. Specially known its in your tummy and your makin it grow

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

I don't have my first scan until 12 weeks I cant wait !!! I wish it was sooner !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

LH2013 wrote: »
    I don't have my first scan until 12 weeks I cant wait !!! I wish it was sooner !

I think the majority of people don't have a scan until around 12 weeks unless there is a history or something...

I only got a scan coz I had an appointment with my consultant in Holles st amd she scan in her rooms at every appointment. Was only a little scan lasting like a minute... But was so nice to see the heartbeat :-). Makes it all so real :-)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I think the majority of people don't have a scan until around 12 weeks unless there is a history or something...

I only got a scan coz I had an appointment with my consultant in Holles st amd she scan in her rooms at every appointment. Was only a little scan lasting like a minute... But was so nice to see the heartbeat :-). Makes it all so real :-)

Ha ha ya I am just jealous ;) I can't wait to see baby and make sure everything is ok !!!

• Advertisement

LH2013 wrote: »
    Ha ha ya I am just jealous ;) I can't wait to see baby and make sure everything is ok !!!

Ya I think I woulda gone mental if I had to wait any longer. I'm very impatient and a worrier at the best of times. U'll be so happy when u see him or her on the
    Screen :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I had to go gp today also to get forms sorted as it hasnt been done yet due to being reffered to epu. as my gp has an ultra sound i also had a scan today. 4th now and im only 8 weeks. Still didnt get to see heartbeat as it wasnt transvaginal. Due back to gp at 12 weeks 4th sept he will do another scan and said i will get my hospital booking appointment between then and 20 weeks.
    With my first i didnt have a scan until 14 weeks. And didnt have another until 36 weeks other than a private 3d scan Gave a schedule of appoinments and i luckily will get a scan at every gp appointment.

Suucee wrote: »
    I had to go gp today also to get forms sorted as it hasnt been done yet due to being reffered to epu. as my gp has an ultra sound i also had a scan today. 4th now and im only 8 weeks. Still didnt get to see heartbeat as it wasnt transvaginal. Due back to gp at 12 weeks 4th sept he will do another scan and said i will get my hospital booking appointment between then and 20 weeks.
    With my first i didnt have a scan until 14 weeks. And didnt have another until 36 weeks other than a private 3d scan Gave a schedule of appoinments and i luckily will get a scan at every gp appointment.

Suucee that's very unusual u didnt get a scan at 20weeks on ur last one? I thought the 20 week anomaly scan is one of the most important you get?

Suucee that's very unusual u didnt get a scan at 20weeks on ur last one? I thought the 20 week anomaly scan is one of the most important you get?

Nope wasnt offered and doesnt look like it will be this time either. I wasnt too worried as had the 3D scan.
    This time its
    Gp scan 12 weeks
    Hospital booking before 20 weeks approx 12-16 scan
    Gp scan 24
    Nurse assesment glucose test 28 ( think in the doc surgery)
    Gp scan 30
    Hosp 32
    Gp scan 34
    Hosp 36
    Nurse assesment 37
    Hosp 38
    Nurse assesment 39
    Hosp 40.

So looks like ill be getting loads if scans but by gp not hospital.
    I remember asking at my booking appointmwnt last time about scans and they said generally just the first one unless they are worried about anything. So glad i changed gp since last pregnancy . Ill be seeing loads of this little baba this time. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't think an anomaly scan is offered normally at all on the public system. You would need to have a history, or some other risk factor to get one. Or pay for one privately. The hospital scans in CUMH anyway on first pregnancy, were check for heartbeat, all grand, done. No other checks.

My last pregnancy my first scan was scheduled for 16 weeks, but I miscarried at about 12weeks. This is why I am getting more early scans this time. There was no scan at all after that one scheduled for second pregnancy.

I am working on getting our small lady to sleep in her bed instead of the cot. She is very heavy to be lifting in and out of the cot, and it's only going to get more awkward. but she doesn't seem interested in the bed at all! Beds seem to be for jumping on in her mind. Everytime i put her into it, jumping ensues. I might take the cot out altogether at the weekend and maybe get some sort of duvet cover that she likes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

pwurple wrote: »
    I don't think an anomaly scan is offered normally at all on the public system. You would need to have a history, or some other risk factor to get one. Or pay for one privately. The hospital scans in CUMH anyway on first pregnancy, were check for heartbeat, all grand, done. No other checks.

In Holles St everyone gets a full anomaly scan at 20 weeks, whether they're public or private patients. I'm shocked they don't do that in every hospital!

Having another pukey day. Ugh started feeling real bad last night andvwas up twice retching duribg the night. Got up this morning had breakfast and puked 5 mins later. Got in to shower which normally helps but was sick twice. Have been sipping 7up but stil been sick since. It doesnt help that my 15 month old is teething .
    Ive rang work and told them i wont be in and ive sent my daughter to her nannys where she would have been if i was in work .
    Ive tried to eat again and now lyin on the couch hoping the retching eases and i keep something down to get some energy.

Its odd with my daughter i was sick all the time but this time while im nauseous ive only actually had 2 bad pukey days.

Pwurple hope the the bed goes well. We have decided to try in jan to get lo used to it before no 2 comes and takes her cot and turns her whole world up side down. She'l only be 21 months so hoping she wil be ok with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I don't know what to do about cot: C will be 20 months when baba gets here and don't know wether to maybe put her in a bed which is what she's used to anyway, or get a second cot?

Succee I had a very bad day yesterday but much better today so I hope your the same.

cyning wrote: »
    I don't know what to do about cot: C will be 20 months when baba gets here and don't know wether to maybe put her in a bed which is what she's used to anyway, or get a second cot?

Succee I had a very bad day yesterday but much better today so I hope your the same.

Oh hopefully. Ive no energy now from it. And had a snooze when she was napping but stil hardly able to move.

You coukd try the bed and see how it goes. If it doesnt work maybe get cot then .
    A will be 23 months when baba arrives and i was trying to decide whether to try move her when baba is moving from moses basket to cot or to do it before baba is born . Someone here suggested ttying before so she is settled before baba is born. So will try in jan. Might get the bed in jan sales too.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭firsttimemammy

I had a letter from the hospital giving me an appointment for this morning which is mega quick given I was told it would be a few weeks before I'd hear anything back and even longer for an appointment.

I only got the letter yesterday as we haven't been home to check the post so had to postpone as I couldn't rearrange work at short notice. I'm going in next Friday instead. I'll only be 8 weeks so it seems mega quick. It is a booking appointment but being so early I don't know if they're going to do a scan.

I can only presume they want me in so early this time because of the miscarriage last time!

Anyone else experienced a lot of people voicing unwanted opinions about what I should and shouldn't be doing at this stage of pregnancy? My MIL and SIL have been very vocal!!!!

A days notice is a bit ridiculous really.

Pregnancy is only the start of it: everyone is going to have opinions on how you parent too! Just develop a deaf ear if you can it really really helps!

The hospital admin staff seem to be way behind at the moment in Cork too. I got the notice for my last appointment the day AFTER the appointment. My GP had warned me though, and said to phone and ask them when the appointment is, as the letters are slow at the moment.

I am taking all advice from people when it's things like, 'don't lift that', or 'take it easy'. I take all of those to be babysitting offers. :)

For those of you who have LO's... How r ye finding the lifting etc? My fella is a big lad... He's about 12kg (26lbs) and I get so worn out carrying him. I'm the only one at home all day but hubby does the carrying when he gets home. He doesn't crawl yet, he's 8.5 months... And I get so exhausted. I try not to lift him unless necessary but I think he's teething again so needs his cuddles. And I get sooo short of breath now taking him upstairs for his naps. What do ye all do?

I'd be lost without my sling to be honest: it distributes the weight more evenly so I'm not throwing myself off to one side carrying her especially if I have to run into shop to grab a litre of milk or anything. It's handy because she's teething and just wants to be up up up.

Other than that I sit her up for cuddles beside me but the stairs has me wrecked too. It's like I've run a marathon by the time I get to the top! I have it easier than you because she is walking so she crawls up the stairs sometimes.

Oh the advise. It gets alot worse once baba is born and alot more annoying practice letting it in one year and out the other. Its harder with the inlaws especially once baba is born as there not your family and you cant tell them to bugger off. Wel you could but its easier say it to your own family.

Ha my lo also teething typical. Im finding the lifting a killer as i hurt my back few weeks ago and keep hurting it. Shes 15 months and last time i weighed her about a month ago was 10kg so dont have it too bad and she walks up the stairs too. But the car seat is whats killing me or the high chair. Funny enough the cot isnt too bad. She stands up to me to get out.
    The hardest part is when she just wants a cuddle but whenni sit down shes not too happy about it. She will have to get used to it though. There will be a bump in the way in a few months.
    I showed her my scan picture (shes obsessed with photos ) and told her that its the baba. She looked confused for a min as she is used to seeing loads of pictures around the house of herself and knows thats the baba. But she took the scan picture from me and gave it a big mmmwah (kiss) . It was just the cutest.

• Advertisement

The lifting is bad alright. I know my ligaments are softening already, my hips are soreevery morning... Can't seem to keep a pillow between knees at night.

Terrible two's I am trying to see as a bonus for this. She is going through a VERY independent phase of wanting to do everything herself, including getting in and out of carset. Loves the climbing. No lifting for me there, But it takes her flippen ages! I have been late for work every day this week because of the creche dropoff.

I get hubbie to do all of the lifting when he is home. Even lifting her onto my lap. Feels a bit daft, but I don't want to put my back out. It is way easier to do that when pregnant I'm told with the ligament thing?

I got her a set of steps as well when I had an accident at christmas time and couldn't lift her. So she can climb up to the sink to wash hands/brush teeth and to thecounter for baking or cooking.

For cuddles I sit on the floor.

So it is just the cot and highchair which are problems for me. Cot will change to bed shortly hopefully. Highchair... Booster seat maybe? Haven't figured it out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭firsttimemammy

Thanks for all on the advice advice! lol Funny enough, I actually do have a deaf ear so I'll just turn the other way!! lol Aaaah, I guess it's something I'll just have to get used to it.

That's some great changes there pwurple re the lifting. Some great ways around it!

Anyone any recommendations for cosmetics to try curb stretch marks? Is Bio oil the best? I have stretch marks on my thighs just from growing at puberty so I'm conscious I'm going to have a similar problem during pregnancy.

Thanks for all on the advice advice! lol Funny enough, I actually do have a deaf ear so I'll just turn the other way!! lol Aaaah, I guess it's something I'll just have to get used to it.

That's some great changes there pwurple re the lifting. Some great ways around it!

Anyone any recommendations for cosmetics to try curb stretch marks? Is Bio oil the best? I have stretch marks on my thighs just from growing at puberty so I'm conscious I'm going to have a similar problem during pregnancy.

Hi firstimemammy. I use bio oil with my last pregnant and I swear by it. I didn't get one stretch mark!!! I used it by the gallon tho and it's pretty expensive. But if u shop around u can get some good 2 for 1 deals ect. I was luck I didn't get stretch marks coz I got a few when I was younger aswell... When I was around 14 and getting my curves!

Some people say all the oils etc dont do anything and that may be true aswell as it could all just be hereditary. My mum didnt use anything and she didnt get stretch marks. But I wasn't gonna risk it so I smothered myself ever day :-). I may be one one of the lucky ones tho! I hope I don't get any this time round.

But You know what they say! stretch marks are badges of honour if anything :-)

I used bio oil and ive got stretch marks. But to be fair there small not many and only down very low below my belky button and on the tops of my thighs.

So all this talk about lifting out if cots had me thinking . Our lo can walk , her bedroom is completly baby proofed and shebis going to need to vacate her cot early next year. the cot has removable bars and most weekday mornings we have to wake her where as at weekends when she wakes we normally take her out and she spends ages playing in her room and coming in and out of our room with her toys. so we decided to remove the bars to see how it goes. She cant open her bedroom door so we plan to close that when we put her to bed and open it and ours when we govto bed so she can come in in the mornings.
    So put her up for nap at 11.10 i have a camera monitor which i havent used in ages but came in handy. 3 times she git out and back in i suppose it was a novelty. She got on her bounce and spin zebra butbi had her toy box closed . But the third time she got in and didnt get back out. Was fast asleep by 11.25 . Hoping night goes aswell . I was worried it was a little early but no point in delaying too much really as she loves her sleep so will get in herself when tired enough.

Oh my god my back. Hurt it again today putting lo in car. Real bad. Had to stop and hold on to the car for a mo . Thought i was gona cry. Been at me bad all day. This evening then after she was gone to bed i was lying on the couch watching tv for a while snd when i got up i actually couldnt walk. My lower back in bits and down in to my left leg. I had to hobble up to bed while OH got me a hot water bottle.

My backs turned to mush and it's hurting sw bad to do anything. With DS teething he wants to be held and comforted which is tough goin.

I don't remember this first time round until the end (well mild back pain at the start)

I'm in the same boat! My back is in bits! And I have to carry my LO around everywhere! I find carrying upstairs to his cot the worst. But the carseats pretty bad aswell! Hope the backs are feeling a little better soon! But I can only see them getting worse when we get out bumps!

Yeah the bumps will bring back bad backs near the end we will get a break in the middle.

I find at the min if he stirs at night iv to give him the soother but I can't sleep for hours after that hate the insomnia

Was nt feeling too bad last week but yesterday and today im super queasy and tired !! I am going to tell my mam this week and everyone else after the scan !

• Advertisement

I have another scan Tues, really nervous for some reason. I should be 11 weeks so hopefully they don't mess around with my dates.

Advertisement