Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol or Diesel

• 24-05-2013 7:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi, can anyone advise me on this please. I am starting up a mobile coffee unit and am thinking of getting a generator - by law should I buy a petrol or diesel generator?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Obro

sammi2012 wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone advise me on this please. I am starting up a mobile coffee unit and am thinking of getting a generator - by law should I buy a petrol or diesel generator?
    Thanks

You can get really quiet diesel ones. They will be alot more economical than petrol. You will find on E bay or Done deal quite easily. I know someone with a not so busy chip wagon and he used about €18 of petrol a day so diesel is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It'll cost you more to buy a silent diesel genny , but ... Diesels doesn't burn ... At the drop of a match , much safer if youre refilling , or something happens... Get armoured cable too , to go from genny to coffee machine

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Diesel should be a lot cheaper to run if you can get marked gas oil / marine diesel / whatever you are allowed to buy as long as it's not used in a vehicle.

If you were running a chipper you could possibly use waste oil, and use the smell for advertising. Recycled food oil might be something to consider if you want a bit of greenwashing, but make sure it's properly prepared or you may ruin the generator.

The main power usage for a coffee machine is heating. A generator is close to the least efficient way of doing this. If you could get a coffee machine that uses fuel to heat or can take hot water from a fuel based heater that would be a much better use of fuel.

Moka pots and things could run on a hotplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 shagal

I think lpg powered gennys is gonna become manditory this year as its cleaner burning etc

Advertisement