Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Keep abortion out of Ireland

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Zombrex wrote: »
    I didn't ask you to a counter argument to the right to life, I asked you for a counter argument to bodily privacy.

You're the big fan of bodily privacy so why should i?

And? So because of that it is not murder if I die? Why exactly?

Because I did not kill you. The disease did.

Because a woman can do what she likes with her own body and the only one that can consent to invasion action on her body, even if that action results in the death of another individual. It is the same right you have, one you seem more than happy to have I might add. (ie Person A - give me your kidney Person B - no you don't have any right to my body).

Maybe if you agree with bodily privacy but the child inside her is not her body.
    To put if as bluntly as possible, if the foetus is simply another individual then what right does that individual have to the woman's body. No other human individual has right the woman's body other than the woman herself, so why would the foetus if it is just another individual?

You still haven't grasped the concepts and mechanics of pregnancy yet, have you. Yes the child is growing in a cavity within her body but it is not part of her body. When it is developed enough it will be expelled naturally, unless medical conditions dictate that a c-section is required.

So Jehovah Witnesses should be forced by the State to give blood, or submit to a medical procedures involving blood, in order to save their children, even if they refuse on religious grounds? The child has a right to the parents body? Is that what you genuinely believe?

I do not believe any parent for any reason should be allowed to put the lives of their children in danger.
    The child has a right to life. That is what I genuinely believe.

Anyway the point is moot http://www.independent.ie/health/jehovahs-witness-forced-to-have-lifesaving-transfusion-79512.html

They currently don't as far as I'm aware. They can refuse to give blood if they wish, even if that results in the death of their children.

Do you disagree with that?

No.
    And? You want the foetus to be treated the same as a child that has already been born, don't you?

It is a human being is it not?

A protection that does not allow the rest of us to break another person's right to bodily privacy, even if such action would allow us to live. So why would the foetus have that right when the rest of us don't? Why would the foetus, alone above all other individuals (even the woman's other children) have a right to the woman's body and a right to overrule any action the woman wishes to take to her body.

Well you're presenting a fallacious argument. Bodily privacy doesn't mean anything unless you take in to account the bodily privacy of the child.
    That seems to be the bit you are struggling with. The best you seem to be able to come up with is that abortion is different to all other possible cases, but you seem unable to explain why that changes the principle of bodily privacy. Again I suspect you are arguing from an emotional rather than rational position.

Only because I've been doing this late in the day and only just realised you were trying to paint me into a corner with a logical fallacy.

The problem is you refuse to grant the principle of bodily privacy to an unborn child and refuse to state why.

So, explain, why do you believe the unborn child should have no right to bodily privacy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Wrong. Im Catholic. Not atheist. I worship God in my own way. My body is my temple and I do not appreciate being told by others what to do with it.

Haha! Someone take the shovel away from this young wan!

I just came across this. Absolutely disgusting and heartbreaking. Its old, but true. This apparantely happened in england somewhere:

A woman who agreed to an abortion after being told the foetus was severely handicapped had a normal, healthy baby who lived for 45 minutes after the termination.
    Jacqueline James consented to the abortion at 27 weeks of pregnancy after doctors told her that routine ultrasound scans had revealed her baby had severe physical abnormalities.
    Although born alive the baby died because of the stress brought about by drugs previously used in an attempt to induce termination, an inquest was told. Ms James, 26, said at the time: "I thought everything was going really well. I would never have had the abortion if I had known the baby was going to be all right."
    The baby, named Natasha by her parents, was certified dead in the operating theatre at Wordsley hospital, Stourbridge, West Midlands 45 minutes after the Caesarean section in May 1994. A routine ultrasound scan earlier that month at the hospital had alerted doctors to a potential problem. Ms James was referred to the Birmingham Maternity hospital for a second scan by an expert who confirmed the original diagnosis.
    Victor Round, the Dudley coroner, was told that Ms James had been given "very clear advice" by doctors that the foetus she was carrying was abnormal, and she and her partner decided on a late termination.
    Under the 1990 Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act, which replaced the 1967 Abortion Act, the time limit on a termination was reduced from 28 weeks to 24. However, there is a provision within the act which allows termination up until birth if there is thought to be risk of a severe physical or mental handicap. When the inquest into Natasha's death was opened in June 1994, Ms James, who has daughter aged 9 and a five-year- old son, said she would never have agreed to an abortion if she had known her unborn child was normal.
    Mr Round read from a report by Dr Ian Rushton, a senior lecturer in pathology at Birmingham University which said the foetus was normal and corresponded in weight to the time of pregnancy. He said death was due to stress brought about by drugs previously used in an attempt to induce termination.
    A second report by Dr Imogen Morgan, a consultant at Birmingham Maternity Hospital, said that the initial attempts to induce the abortion had failed but had caused stress to the foetus. "The infant was born live and was cared for but not actively resuscitated and died [shortly after]," she said.
    Richard Blunt, medical director of the Dudley Group of Hospitals NHS Trust, said that no attempt to resuscitate the baby was made, despite it appearing healthy, because Ms James was undergoing a termination. "If you do a termination late in pregnancy then [the foetus] comes out in one piece ... and that therefore it may be alive and kicking. This is the dreadful thing. [The foetus] did not have any major physical abnormalities, but it would require a post-mortem to establish any internal problems. Everyone was so upset it turned out to be healthy."
    Mr Blunt said the hospital relied on the opinion of an expert that the baby was abnormal. "The tragic thing for this girl was that the ultrasound was misleading," he said.
    The coroner at the resumed inquest concluded that none of the usual verdicts was appropriate in the circumstances and recorded a verdict of death due to legal termination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Festus wrote: »
    No, it teaches that infidelity may be a justification for divorce but says nothing about remarriage after divorce.

Did you even bother to read the Scripture reference?

"I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.” (Matt 19:9)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

in a democracy, majority rules, so if the majority in ireland decide that abortion in certain cases in lawful, then so be it. i don't get why christians are getting so up in arms about this. your religion forbids it, so anyone who is a practicing christian would surely not get an abortion anyway? how does it affect you and your fellow christians?

it doesnt, at least it shouldnt

it's not for you to tell non christians what they can do, unless you hold a countrywide majority and your viewpoint gains the most votes in a referendum. abortion is not a christian issue. in fact its completely inapplicable to christians by default, as its against your religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 La Petite Fleur

Wrong. Im Catholic. Not atheist. I worship God in my own way.

Hmmm, genuinely and sincerly, it sounds like a refresher course in Catholic beliefs, and resons and logic behind them is badly required then.

Helix wrote: »
    in a democracy, majority rules, so if the majority in ireland decide that abortion in certain cases in lawful, then so be it. i don't get why christians are getting so up in arms about this. your religion forbids it, so anyone who is a practicing christian would surely not get an abortion anyway? how does it affect you and your fellow christians?.

It affect babies by killing them.

But I find your acceptance of majority-rule to be interesting. So it would be OK by you if the majority decides you should be forced to attend church?

PDN wrote: »

But I find your acceptance of majority-rule to be interesting. So it would be OK by you if the majority decides you should be forced to attend church?

nobody should be forced to do anything. completely different thing

you know foetuses arent babies don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

"I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.” (Matt 19:9)

(Mark 10:11) He answered, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

nobody should be forced to do anything. completely different thing

you know foetuses arent babies don't you?
    What are they...aliens??

• Advertisement

What are they...aliens??

they're foetuses

:confused:

hmmm, is English your first language or are you just misinterpreting this to suit yourself?

Replace the commas with an open and close bracket and the message is clear;

"I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife (except for sexual immorality) and marries another woman commits adultery.”

One of the most frequent uses of commas is as parenthical elements so what I have done for the sake of clarity is grammatically perfect.

This allows the section between the commas to be removed

"I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Now the true meaning is more that apparent. Divorce in the case of adultery is permitted - who would want to live with a adulterous woman and be cuckolded - but remarriage is never mentioned execpt to state that such as marriage is adulterous.

they're foetuses

:confused:

They're humans.

You know, human beings. Same as toddlers, teenagers, adults and geriatrics are human beings.

Foetus is a term for a life stage of a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Um, nobody would be forced to get an Abortion PDN, you're comparing apples and oranges here.

in a democracy, majority rules, so if the majority in ireland decide that abortion in certain cases in lawful, then so be it.

What if the majotity said that all sick, old, infirm, travellers, homeless and gays were to be terminated aswell? Reminds me of something.........

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

What if we allowed abortion but imposed a 12 month waiting list? This could help IMO.

in a democracy, majority rules, so if the majority in ireland decide that abortion in certain cases in lawful, then so be it. i don't get why christians are getting so up in arms about this. your religion forbids it, so anyone who is a practicing christian would surely not get an abortion anyway? how does it affect you and your fellow christians?

it doesnt, at least it shouldnt

it's not for you to tell non christians what they can do, unless you hold a countrywide majority and your viewpoint gains the most votes in a referendum. abortion is not a christian issue. in fact its completely inapplicable to christians by default, as its against your religion.

So if the majority in Ireland decided that anyone over the age of say, 25, should be euthanased you would have no problem with that, after all this is a democracy , right?

Or perhaps the majority could decide that the unemployed are no longer entitled to food, water and shelter, is that acceptable in a democracy?

Abortion is not a religious issue any more than human rights is a religious issue. The reality is that Christians are probably the majority voice in fighting this war on life.

This is about the most basic right of all humans regardless of race, colour or creed. The right to life.

uberalles wrote: »
    What if we allowed abortion but imposed a 12 month waiting list? This could help IMO.

+1

thought 8 months would be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

More money should be spent on education about protection.

Some people think bus shelters are protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Festus wrote: »
    So if the majority in Ireland decided that anyone over the age of say, 25, should be euthanased you would have no problem with that, after all this is a democracy , right?

Or perhaps the majority could decide that the unemployed are no longer entitled to food, water and shelter, is that acceptable in a democracy?

Abortion is not a religious issue any more than human rights is a religious issue. The reality is that Christians are probably the majority voice in fighting this war on life.

This is about the most basic right of all humans regardless of race, colour or creed. The right to life.
    newmug wrote: »
    What if the majotity said that all sick, old, infirm, travellers, homeless and gays were to be terminated aswell? Reminds me of something.........

Again, you're both speaking about people being forced to do something. That is not the issue.

Nobody is talking about people being forced to have an abortion, rather they have the right to do so. The morality of the matter is always down to personal opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

We are back to to this retread of a discussion. The undelying lying principes this debate seems to break down to two principle 1- that all human life is sacred and 2 when does the life of the fetus commence.

Well As for human life being sacred- who said so ? never has been never will.

AS babies die in the millions in africa and asia from disease , nations wiped off the face of the map in battle for resourses. Such it has always been and will continue to be, and we in the grand scale of things continue own civil war,

During this increasingly destructive debeat those pregnent women just ignore all the waffle on here and take the lonely trip to Englandel - since 1980 147,912 and counting-

There is such a thing as the real world and the self righteous world .That is always the issue when people love the cause and don'nt know the issue ( they usually have a name)

Nothing will be resolved - we will retain our stance of being abotion frees as we continue to export our problem . and those women will continue to bear the burden of our self-righteousnes-

As an aside there are too many men in positions of power in this debate

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Um, nobody would be forced to get an Abortion PDN, you're comparing apples and oranges here.

No, I'm not. Babies are forced to be aborted. No 'choice' there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭SonOfAdam

@oldrnwisr - I'm not too proud to admit when I'm wrong :) And the cases show, at least, that the lack of abortion legislation has not prevented women from receiving treatment, in this country, necessary to save their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

uberalles wrote: »
    More money should be spent on education about protection.

Some people think bus shelters are protection.

Isn't the use of contraception, except for the natural method, against Christian teachings too? Life from conception is a religious concept, and religion should not be a factor in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Isn't the use of contraception, except for the natural method, against Christian teachings too? Life from conception is a religious concept, and religion should not be a factor in law.

Firstly the use of contraception is against ROMAN CATHOLIC doctrine, NOT Christianity. Second of all, life from conception is not a religious concept. A new life is created when a sperm fertilises an egg. Its then about asking the question if that life has any value, or is it valueless enough to allow the would be mother of this new life to kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

JimiTime wrote: »
    Firstly the use of contraception is against ROMAN CATHOLIC doctrine, NOT Christianity. Second of all, life from conception is not a religious concept. A new life is created when a sperm fertilises an egg. Its then about asking the question if that life has any value, or is it valueless enough to allow the would be mother of this new life to kill it.

No it isn't. Sperm is alive. Eggs are alive. When they combine, the combination is alive, but it is not a new life.

marienbad wrote: »
    The undelying lying principes this debate seems to break down to two principle 1- that all human life is sacred

Has value rather than sacred.
    and 2 when does the life of the fetus commence.

Thats not in question. A new life begins at conception, that is not in doubt. The question that pro abortion people raise, is at what point does that life have value.
    AS babies die in the millions in africa and asia from disease , nations wiped off the face of the map in battle for resourses. Such it has always been and will continue to be, and we in the grand scale of things continue own civil war,

During this increasingly destructive debeat those pregnent women just ignore all the waffle on here and take the lonely trip to Englandel - since 1980 147,912 and counting-

Have you seriously raised the fact that babies die in war, famine etc, that this somehow makes abortion ok?
    There is such a thing as the real world and the self righteous world .That is always the issue when people love the cause and don'nt know the issue ( they usually have a name)

So what IS the issue?
    Nothing will be resolved - we will retain our stance of being abotion frees as we continue to export our problem . and those women will continue to bear the burden of our self-righteousness-

Its not 'exporting a problem', when the nation has a justice policy like this. It means the nation is choosing not to be complicit in what it deems to be an unjust act. There are places in the world where you can legally take drugs, get prostitutes etc. Just because other nations have different laws, does not mean we do the same.
    As an aside there are too many men in positions of power in this debate

Trying to protect the unborn has little to do with gender.
    Support for women who have an unwanted pregnancy may well be better served by women though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

JimiTime wrote: »
    Firstly the use of contraception is against ROMAN CATHOLIC doctrine, NOT Christianity.

Fair enough, that was my mistake.

Some people would call it a new life, others would call it a ball of cells - perspective is everything and not everyone shares yours. I'm not going to get into an argument about foetal development, timescales etc..... But I stick to my earlier point - plenty of people want the option, and legally they should have it. If it's not your body, then it's not your moral dilemma - by all means you're entitled to disagree with it but you don't have the right to hinder someone elses choice based on your religion.

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    No it isn't. Sperm is alive. Eggs are alive. When they combine, the combination is alive, but it is not a new life.

Of course its a new life. Its the beginning of a new human. Its really not open to debate. I certainly wouldn't try argue against anyone insisting its not.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, that was my mistake.

Some people would call it a new life, others would call it a ball of cells - perspective is everything and not everyone shares yours. I'm not going to get into an argument about foetal development, timescales etc..... But I stick to my earlier point - plenty of people want the option, and legally they should have it. If it's not your body, then it's not your moral dilemma - by all means you're entitled to disagree with it but you don't have the right to hinder someone elses choice based on your religion.

Some people would call you a life, others would call you a ball of cells. If I choose to kill you then perspective is everything. But that would be my moral dilemma, not yours. Do others have the right to hinder my choice if I want to kill you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement