Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johncdub

So do I but we cannot generalise and cut all of them to get at some of them. Also if we want to get at the parent then why do we want to punish the child ?

I completely agree.

It is hard on the children, but it is time to make the change for the future. That is why they are gradually bringing it in over a few years.

I know too many people who were happt to just claim instead of working when there were pleanty of jobs in the country.

There are great access schemes/back to education allowances that single parents should be jumping at, while they are still avaiable.

I believe if there is no single mother benefit, people will think twice about having children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

noodler wrote: »
    By making a meaningless speech?

I love the way you can look down your nose at other 'idiots' on the panel and then come out with that ^ A bit of self awareness goes a long way!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,454 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

She doesn't seem to think at all.

Anyone can be emotional about anything but if they are given airtime on a panel show I expect some sort of tangible contribution to the debate rather than getting bitchy with the other panel members.

Jim deserved every bit of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

i thought she was head of the single parents organisation yet the word "mothers" slipped into her rant a few times, i know single fathers are a minority but i'd be disappointed if i was represented by her

johncdub wrote: »
    I completely agree.

It is hard on the children, but it is time to make the change for the future. That is why they are gradually bringing it in over a few years.

I know too many people who were happt to just claim instead of working when there were pleanty of jobs in the country.

There are great access schemes/back to education allowances that single parents should be jumping at, while they are still avaiable.

I believe if there is no single mother benefit, people will think twice about having children.

Again I agree. It is something that is costing us all too much. However we have to put in proper procedures to alleviate the problem. It is not a one size fits all remedy. They are all not deliberately getting pregnant in order to access housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,154 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I love the way you can look down your nose at other 'idiots' on the panel and then come out with that ^ A bit of self awareness goes a long way!:rolleyes:

I am sorry, am I judging the performance of the panel members on a TV show?

Is that not the purpose of the thread? Or can I not criticise her because she is a single parent and is getting emotional?
    Jim deserved every bit of it.

I didn't hear what he said to her re: "her choice" but I admit thats an ill-advised thing to say on a national TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

If Jim had any sense he would apologise for his earlier comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

MrsD007 wrote: »
    If Jim had any sense he would apology for his earlier comment.

He didn't look too apologetic there MrsD007 when Vincent put it to him:rolleyes:

I am sorry, am I judging the performance of the panel members on a TV show?

Is that not the purpose of the thread? Or can I not criticise her because she is a single parent and is getting emotional?

I was just judging you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

If Jim had any sense he would never have made that comment in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

jpcarlow wrote: »
    If Jim had any sense he would never have made that comment in the first place
    Hi. im in bed without a tv. what coment did he come out with

I was just judging you.

Carry on.

It always hurts to hear things you don't like to hear.

Hi. im in bed without a tv. what coment did he come out with
    He said that single parents are single parents by choice.

Carry on.

It always hurts to hear things you don't like to hear.

Funny you should say that, I was just criticising a poster called noodler for not being able to hear what an obviously impassioned spokesperson was saying because they where too busy thinking of something juvenile and smartarsey to say about them.

Funny you should say that, I was just criticising a poster called noodler for not being able to hear what an obviously impassioned spokesperson was saying because they where too busy thinking of something juvenile and smartarsey to say about them.

If you want avoid criticising somebody's lack of coherent argument on a panel show because they got emotional then you go ahead.

I will continue to judge the performance of people who go on panel shows on front of a national audience based on what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Jim is behaving like a pr1ck tonight.

Jim power constantly spouts shite.
    I wouldn't believe or pay heed to anything that comes out of his fanny mouth.
    My dog makes more sense when he farts in his sleep.

If you want avoid criticising somebody's lack of coherent argument on a panel show because they got emotional then you go ahead.

I will continue to judge the performance of people who go on panel shows on front of a national audience based on what they say.

She made perfect sense to me and others so maybe (perish the thought) the problem was yours?

She was reacting to a twat as well.
    Emotion doesn't necessarily make your argument incoherent or redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

How Jim Power can still command airtime is utterly mind-boggling.
    This "chief economist with Friends First" is a complete fraud.
    As a major government cheerleader of the farce that was the "Celtic Tiger" hardly a week went by that the "informed" Jim did not appear on SixOne news on RTE1 urging people to "get on the ladder".
    As the slowdown appeared this same charleten coined the phrase "soft landing" and assured people that all we wereseeing was an "adjustment"
    Yesterday morning,on the Pat Kenny show he spoke at length on how he is in total favour of the water/household/septic tank charges.
    Amazingly he is given an easy time by all commentators in the media.
    We can only wonder why?? vested interests at stake maybe??? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

watched the show later than usual last night.

Jim Power is hilarious. I've met 1st year commerce students with a more nuanced view of society. he should just drop the pretense and get a job as a market cheerleading radio talk show host. the man has zero credibility.

On lone parents, I realise that there are two sides to this argument. On the surface it can sometimes appear that people are screwing the system. However, it's far more complicated than just women want free house and money to have children. My experience having met many lone parents is that the majority are genuinely struggling and are caught in a trap of having to look after children, pay for food, clothes, bills etc, but at the same time wanting to try to do something with their lives. I don't know how many of them cope and having to deal with the current round of lone parent bashing can't help either. All of the dross that's spoken about single mothers is enough to make anyone side with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

mikom wrote: »
    Jim power constantly spouts shite.
    I wouldn't believe or pay heed to anything that comes out of his fanny mouth.
    My dog makes more sense when he farts in his sleep.

Kieran Allen speaks tripe, all tripe and nothing but tripe.

One minute he is disputing OECD and ESRI statistics and the next he is quoting the Sunday Times. Is that academic?

When asked to mention savings he proposes to cut tax breaks for the 'rich'; what he should have been asked was how he, or Bayliss, would cut €50m (or whatever)from the social welfare bill.

This wealth tax panacea needs to be seriously examined. To date I must have heard of €30 billion of spending it is going to be devoted to. In all cases its proponents regard it as a recurring income. Why doesn't VB do a programme on it instead of goind on ad infinitum about equality?

• Advertisement

Water charges tonight I believe.

Did anyone see Mary Lou on the News ? She looked like an Indian squaw who fell asleep under a sunlamp, oompa loompa.

Water charges tonight I believe.

Did anyone see Mary Lou on the News ? She looked like an Indian squaw who fell asleep under a sunlamp, oompa loompa.
    LOL:D I was just thinking the same thing. She definitely over did the old spray tan. Oh, "The Count" is on the show this evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

They didnt even show Laura Noonan??

Good. A Coup ?? Lovely. Now where's me rifle ?

Their are proclaiming this man as the only man who predicted the crash??? God I wish Jim Power was on tonight to tell him that it's not gonna crash.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

just tuned in. is it the end of days or what?

What is Constantin doing with his hair ? He looks like Moe out of the Three Stooges.

I think that Dan O'Brien and Stephen Donnelly were separated at birth

Dan_OBrien.JPG

Stephen-Questions1.png

Has he gone to Laura once yet???

• Advertisement

I think that Dan O'Brien and Stephen Donnelly were separated at birth

Dan_OBrien.JPG

Stephen-Questions1.png