Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CEX on Upper Liffey Street (Dublin) - Now Open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Laser card ftw!

Visa Debit ftw! ;)

They better get their ass down south fairly quicksnap!

@byrneno7: I only took delivery of Timesplitters yesterday, delivered for €12 from UK, but i do suppose it was still in the filmwrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anyone traded-in or sold anything to them, see how strict they are with condition, compare trade-in vs cash prices, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Supercron

They wouldnt let me trade in a great condition gamecube+games+controllers , they said only far back a PS2. Strange i thought the gamecube would have been valuble, So i just had to give them all the dvds i had, still win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Supercron wrote: »
    They wouldnt let me trade in a great condition gamecube+games+controllers , they said only far back a PS2. Strange i thought the gamecube would have been valuble, So i just had to give them all the dvds i had, still win win.
    Gamecube came out after the PS2! Odd, considering they have PS1 games there too.

You'd get about 30euro for a Gamecube on adverts. The RAGE might take it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Supercron

penev10 wrote: »
    Gamecube came out after the PS2! Odd, considering they have PS1 games there too.

You'd get about 30euro for a Gamecube on adverts. The RAGE might take it too.
    30euros for a Gamecube and Box, 2 Controllers, Resident evil Zero, Resident evil 4 and Zelda Wind Waker? To be honest i thought they would have offered alot more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Supercron wrote: »
    30euros for a Gamecube and Box, 2 Controllers, Resident evil Zero, Resident evil 4 and Zelda Wind Waker? To be honest i thought they would have offered alot more than that.

they're worth about €60 total imo (recession has had a big effect on retro gaming prices), and the shop does have overheads to cover, so €40 would be about as much as they could have offered.
    did you try haggling, or just say no straight off?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

byrneno7 wrote: »
    Good section of ps2 games in there and reasonable prices too. I picked up timesplitters 1, 2 and 3 for €6.50.

Yeah, seen Driv3r + Paralell Lines! I ended up getting San Andreas which was a steep €10 but Vice City was only €4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

http://ie.webuy.com/
    Irish website is up!
    Looks like it may just tell you trade in prices, but anything is better than a map and picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hmmm, have an 32gb 3GS iPhone sitting gathering dust at home, might get cash for it there to get a Kindle. Anyone know what kind of ID/Proof of ownership you need?

Cracking shop and something that's been long overdue in Dublin. I can definately see myself spending a lot of cash there. I got €260 cash for my iPhone - more than I expected and pretty much what I would have got for it had I sold it on Adverts.

Picked up a couple of unboxed GBA games while I was in there too, I can see Gamestop having real problems losing customers to them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭padair

Cracking shop and something that's been long overdue in Dublin. I can definately see myself spending a lot of cash there. I got €260 cash for my iPhone - more than I expected and pretty much what I would have got for it had I sold it on Adverts.

Picked up a couple of unboxed GBA games while I was in there too, I can see Gamestop having real problems losing customers to them now.

Do you think the €3 offer in Gamestop was timed with the opening of CEX..?

Does anyone know if these opening time are correct?
    Opening Hours:

Mon: 12:00 - 16:00
    Tue: 12:00 - 16:00
    Wed: 12:00 - 16:00
    Thu: 12:00 - 16:00
    Fri: 12:00 - 16:00
    Sat: 12:00 - 16:00
    Sun: 12:00 - 16:00

http://ie.webuy.com/stores/store_details.php?id=1500
    looks like the times are correct.

Gotta be a mistake, there's no way they'd close at four. Give em a ring.

Gotta be a mistake, there's no way they'd close at four. Give em a ring.

I cycled past at 6 on my way home and they were open. Doh..

I checked for their number on the website but could not find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Maybe they close the doors early to sort through whatever the might have bought to make sure its working, would take a while with the amount of electronics they have on sale.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Maybe they close the doors early to sort through whatever the might have bought to make sure its working, would take a while with the amount of electronics they have on sale.

The doors looked to be fully open. There were customers in the shop as well. A person would not invest 500k to open up a shop for 4 hours a day. That would be pure madness.

padair wrote: »
    I cycled past at 6 on my way home and they were open. Doh..

I checked for their number on the website but could not find it.

They could just fail at 24 hour clocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Hmmm, have an 32gb 3GS iPhone sitting gathering dust at home, might get cash for it there to get a Kindle. Anyone know what kind of ID/Proof of ownership you need?

Adverts.ie my good man.
    Still a huge demand for iPhone 3Gs and you'll get far more in cash then any retailer will give you.

You'd get around €300 I reckon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Was in there on my lunch. It was busy enough, but the sale prices on games were no better than anywhere else. Maybe as they get more stock itll improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So this is a Lombard type shop?

I am kind of interested. Would live some sort of carbootsale for games and electronics...

• Advertisement

I was chatting to the fella in there today. It looks like they will be selling games online just like the UK store. He was saying that this should be up and running in a couple of weeks. Good to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Where are the GBA games? I've been in there a few times and haven't spotted any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Id say its meant to be 19 not 16

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Weepsie wrote: »
    Was in there on my lunch. It was busy enough, but the sale prices on games were no better than anywhere else. Maybe as they get more stock itll improve.

In fairness, their premium stock pretty much got munched away around their launch.

Gamestop on Liffey street are now offering to beat any trade in price by €2 . I wonder why this is :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I brought around a few of my brothers games to sell. Gamestop did say they'd pay €2 more than anyone else, and HMV €1, though it's not really clear how you'd get this as it's like pulling teeth to get an offical looking receipt from any of the stores (they all hand wrote the quotes on a piece of paper, some of them with no breakdown just a total).

deleteme.png

Downside of CEX is they dont seem to sell new stuff, so if you wanted to trade in to buy a present for someone its a bit meh. They also had PC games interestingly, including Shogun 2 (€15), but presumably the code in it is registered to someone's steam account, so not sure how that would work. They also had 2nd hand pc graphics cards and hard discs, wonder how their guarantee works on those ...

Do they buy gamecube games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Do they buy gamecube games?

Apparently not:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71848067&postcount=65

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

penev10 wrote: »

I was in there yesterday, and they've started to stock a few due to demand. Now, it's almost non-existent, but it's a start. The variety of what they have, despite its size, is pretty above-average, which is nice as in the only 'cube games you find with any frequency in this country tend to be of the EA sport variety.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Was in today, picked up a near perfect boxed DS lite (black) for €68. The staff were very helpful and apparently there's a 12 month warranty on it which is kickass considering it's second hand.

Will definitely be heading in there every once in a while to spot some bargains!

Advertisement