Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Checkpoints

• 18-04-2009 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Two Points:

it is just me or has it been a long time since you seen a garda checkpoint? maybe im just skilled at unintentionally avoiding them or summit lol but it seems like ages since i seen one.have they been cutting back on the traffic corp?

Also i dont get why they announce in advance when they are putting out checkpoints or extra patrols? surely the whole excercise of thos things is to catch people out not just make them change their driving for three days or whatever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Connrang

Funny that you mention them, came across one today in Athlone, well hidden in a gateway and two cars pulled in, one national other non-national.

The weather is good so they are enjoying it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Garda overtime has been cut masively, so naturally checkpoints will be cut back as well!

In the last 7 months ive come across one checkpoint, that was in dublin at christmas, and i got waved through. I am quite suprised at the lack of checkpoints on the roads these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Two Points:

it is just me or has it been a long time since you seen a garda checkpoint? maybe im just skilled at unintentionally avoiding them or summit lol but it seems like ages since i seen one.have they been cutting back on the traffic corp?

Also i dont get why they announce in advance when they are putting out checkpoints or extra patrols? surely the whole excercise of thos things is to catch people out not just make them change their driving for three days or whatever.

I've seen a fair amount of checkpoints recently, I had a new car and was waiting for the tax and insurance to come through and it seemed like I hit a checkpoint every day! never got stopped mind you :) Also, the point of the exercise isn't really to catch the offenders, although that's a nice bonus, but rather to slow people down. That's what they say anyway. A couple of weeks ago I was coming out of the port tunnel doing 80 on the nose and there was a truck a playing cards distance from my ass who forced me to go up to a ton, because there were cars in the overtaking lane. I was wondering at the time, if I got done for speeding by a mobile van, would I have a case if I asked them - given that they say the intention is not to catch offenders, but to slow people down - why they put me at risk by not stopping the truck behind me? sorry, kinda off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

If you dont see any checkpoints keep it to yourself. We don't need someone jinxing it and they all pop up over the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Was thinking the same thing as you OP until I was coming home the last night. THere was 2 Garda in the middle of the road with the dirtiest high-vis and the weakest torches you've ever seen checking tax / insurance / whatever.

I've no problem with checkpoints but I really think they should use those blue cats eye type things on the road so drivers can see this obstruction on the road. The gardai are just asking to get knocked down.

I don't think this was "low profile" to surprise people or whatever though because there is no way to avoid it withou the gardai seeing even if you saw it in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Since the budget at the end of last year I have not seen one, before this I must have seen 5 in the space of 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lancerwall

funny enough i said the same thing to a friend the other day about not meeting a checkpoint in months, in the next 3 days i meet 4 checkpoint what are the odds:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Its not a revenue generating activity, its to change peoples attitude about driving dangerously/speeding/driving without tax/insurance/NCT etc.
    Thats why they give prior notice to motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Ran into my first one in months today. Going to Malahide from the M1.
    6 Gardai & 3 cars...safety in numbers ;)

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Same as above - passed them at 12.30 this afternoon! Got waved throught, but they had 3 or 4 cars in the hard shoulder getting them to fill the bag!!

They were on the R127, half way between the M1 and the estuary roundabout

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    I was coming out of the port tunnel doing 80 on the nose and there was a truck a playing cards distance from my ass who forced me to go up to a ton, because there were cars in the overtaking lane. I was wondering at the time, if I got done for speeding by a mobile van, would I have a case if I asked them - given that they say the intention is not to catch offenders, but to slow people down - why they put me at risk by not stopping the truck behind me? sorry, kinda off topic

I don't have the foggiest notion why people would feel they have to go faster because some idiot is up your hole, tough sh*t for them, they're behind you, how can they "make" you go faster. Makes zero sense. Anyway, sorry that was off topic too!

Haven't seen a checkpoint in a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Came across one at the entrance to Glenn Easton Park in Leixlip this afternoon. Two Gardai and a patrol car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sarcasmo2005

Alzar wrote: »
    Ran into my first one in months today. Going to Malahide from the M1.
    6 Gardai & 3 cars...safety in numbers ;)

Al.

Passed the same one ealier today... lots of patrol cars and about half a dozen Garda bikes parked up. For some reason everyone had merged into the right-hand lane after coming around the roundbout.

First time I'd seen a check point with the animated 'matrix' signs positioned above a garda car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Ever notice that when they announce the blitz' you NEVER see them? Its like they announce it, expect everyone to be scared to do anything stupid, and as a result they don't feel the need to actually act at all.

Take the traditional Christmas blitz - I drove nearly 2000 miles over the last Christmas season. Took in all of Munster, some of Leinster and touched on Connaught. Didn't see a single patrol car in that 2000 miles! :rolleyes:

Oh and last check-point I saw was just over 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Random wrote: »
    Was thinking the same thing as you OP until I was coming home the last night. THere was 2 Garda in the middle of the road with the dirtiest high-vis and the weakest torches you've ever seen checking tax / insurance / whatever.

I've no problem with checkpoints but I really think they should use those blue cats eye type things on the road so drivers can see this obstruction on the road. The gardai are just asking to get knocked down.

I don't think this was "low profile" to surprise people or whatever though because there is no way to avoid it withou the gardai seeing even if you saw it in advance.

I've seen those blue cats eyes at several checkpoints. I haven't seen one since January and I drive on roads known for checkpoints.

Oddly enough in friends car last night a gard had pulled a motorist and as we were passing nearly clocked the garda who stepped out after his pen! in NO hi-vis or torch on a street with no lights in the rain! how thick can ye get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

tbh wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I was coming out of the port tunnel doing 80 on the nose and there was a truck a playing cards distance from my ass who forced me to go up to a ton, because there were cars in the overtaking lane. I was wondering at the time, if I got done for speeding by a mobile van, would I have a case if I asked them - given that they say the intention is not to catch offenders, but to slow people down - why they put me at risk by not stopping the truck behind me? sorry, kinda off topic

Nobody forced you to speed up.
    In that situation you could have gently started to slow down, maybe to 60.

Not intended as a high horse comment, been in that situation on a bike where you're even more vulnerable but speeding up isn't a solution, the asshole behind you will speed up too and still stay right behind you

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

garda checkpoint this mornign and afternoon aon cruisrath road in blanchardstown, shooting fish in barrell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Haven't came across one for ages, or if I have it was at least insignificant as I don't rmemeber it!

I will probably come across 2 now this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Live in big town, commute to business in small town every day.

Rarely see presence in Big Town, one CP in last four years.

On average, 1 CP every three weeks in small town, visible Garda foot patrol on 3/5 days.

Recent meeting in small town, complaints that Gardai are not visible...

Some folks want a Copper on the street corner 24/7 regardless of risk. :confused:

Had a chat with the small town SGT, don't envy him, talk about a juggling act :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fiona500

There has been loads of them 'round Galway lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fiona500

mikemac wrote: »
    Nobody forced you to speed up.
    In that situation you could have gently started to slow down, maybe to 60.

Not intended as a high horse comment, been in that situation on a bike where you're even more vulnerable but speeding up isn't a solution, the asshole behind you will speed up too and still stay right behind you

I love slowing down when people tail gate. It's fun to piss them off, just make sure the doors are locked!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭patrickc

ive met 3 in the last few weeks, one on the n80 outside portlaoise, and 2 in dublin city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 seanyfitz07

Yea, have been thinking the exact same thing, tax has been out for the last 2 months! driving with the indicator permantley on left:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 68coupe

The reason you haven't seen any checkpoints in the last 6months or more, is simply because the cops do not like to get wet!! Think about it. The weather, up until the last month or so, has been absolutley disgusting. Rain, rain, wind, hail, rain. I had driven for months and months on a very busy main road, and NEVER come across a checkpoint. The weather picks up, and hey presto, BANG, they're out in force. And also since the budget, I've heard rumours, that the police are under "secret" orders to hit the dual carriageways and motorways etc bigtime, bag the easy kills for speeding, and in doing so, cause a huge surge in financial gains for our incredibly inept and broke government in the form of fines.

In a slightly off topic statement, I myself was caught for "speeding" on a dual-carriageway recently. Now before I go on, I'm NOT a speed nut in any way, I hate people speeding on roads that are not safe or designed to handle such speeds. People who have no consideration for others on narrow country and link roads also.
    I was pulled doing 70mph. Cop told me it was a 100kph limit and if I wanted to see the camera. He was almost drooling as he took my licence for my details. Now, 70 on a dual carriageway is nothing in my opinion, I was being overtaken as it was. So, to prove my point, I made the return journey later that day, and STUCK to 100kph. Its not a long stretch of road.
    Guess how many vehicles overtook me, considering I was doing the "proper" speed limit...???.....35!!!!!! 33 cars and 2 articulated trucks overtook me. Most of them, not just passing by, but flat out. Yet I, was pulled for speeding. Our cops, government, are a bunch of wa****s.
    If I went out and shot someone the cops would run...but break the "speed" limit on a stretch of road that an armless blind man wouldn't crash on, and you get nailed.........its a JOKE..........
    I once saw a lad from a distance get beaten to a pulp by a thug using a motorcycle helmet, AS a squad car drove by only 2meters away. They kept going, and circled back when the thug was gone, and the poor fella was unconcious on the ground!!! .....they probably came back to check the tax on the bike...............muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

68coupe wrote: »
    Our cops are a bunch of wa****s

All of them? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The reason you haven't seen any checkpoints in the last 6months or more, is simply because the cops do not like to get wet!! Think about it. The weather, up until the last month or so, has been absolutley disgusting. Rain, rain, wind, hail, rain. I had driven for months and months on a very busy main road, and NEVER come across a checkpoint. The weather picks up, and hey presto, BANG, they're out in force. And also since the budget, I've heard rumours, that the police are under "secret" orders to hit the dual carriageways and motorways etc bigtime, bag the easy kills for speeding, and in doing so, cause a huge surge in financial gains for our incredibly inept and broke government in the form of fines.

In a slightly off topic statement, I myself was caught for "speeding" on a dual-carriageway recently. Now before I go on, I'm NOT a speed nut in any way, I hate people speeding on roads that are not safe or designed to handle such speeds. People who have no consideration for others on narrow country and link roads also.
    I was pulled doing 70mph. Cop told me it was a 100kph limit and if I wanted to see the camera. He was almost drooling as he took my licence for my details. Now, 70 on a dual carriageway is nothing in my opinion, I was being overtaken as it was. So, to prove my point, I made the return journey later that day, and STUCK to 100kph. Its not a long stretch of road.
    Guess how many vehicles overtook me, considering I was doing the "proper" speed limit...???.....35!!!!!! 33 cars and 2 articulated trucks overtook me. Most of them, not just passing by, but flat out. Yet I, was pulled for speeding. Our cops, government, are a bunch of wa****s.
    If I went out and shot someone the cops would run...but break the "speed" limit on a stretch of road that an armless blind man wouldn't crash on, and you get nailed.........its a JOKE..........
    I once saw a lad from a distance get beaten to a pulp by a thug using a motorcycle helmet, AS a squad car drove by only 2meters away. They kept going, and circled back when the thug was gone, and the poor fella was unconcious on the ground!!! .....they probably came back to check the tax on the bike...............muppets
    big chip on your shoulder there I sense. Either that or you are a child posting in a grown ups forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Our cops, government, are a bunch of wa****s.

you admit to speeding,the gardai are doing their job to enforce speed limits,what if your house was broken into?? would you call them w*nkers when you rang them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭shelly.m

i have come across four checkpoints in the last three weeks in east cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 68coupe

unkel wrote: »
    All of them? :rolleyes:

granted, perhaps I'm guilty of generalising, but I hope you can appreciate the massive frustration, and the apparent inconcistencies in the traffic corp especially. One of my best mates is in the police. All I'm asking for is common sense and decency to prevail. Bust the REAL criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

granted, perhaps I'm guilty of generalising, but I hope you can appreciate the massive frustration, and the apparent inconcistencies in the traffic corp especially. One of my best mates is in the police. All I'm asking for is common sense and decency to prevail. Bust the REAL criminals.
    Yeah right! Will you show him your rant?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement