Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

churchview wrote: »
    I just spoke to one of the McDonagh's about her a few weeks ago. The buttons on the bag have some symbolism, I ca't remember what, I'll find out. Was her name Biddy Ward?

yeah thats her alright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Anyone know any sites with old videos of Galway City? (80's or earlier).
    Cheers,
    pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Here's one about the Rahoon flats;

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I posted one a long time ago in this forum from before Shop street was pedestrianised. Will see if I can find it again.

edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I've posted this before in another thread about Galway in the 80's but for what it's worth...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Fair play, great to have these human interest storeys about galway, do you know if mark Kennedy has a web site, he has made some really good stuff, himself an n.waters (r.i.p.) let me know if you have any more info on a site, thanks for posting these videos. Although i see there's a fair few related videos on the tabs,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dave_ODonnell1

The front door was Naughtons, everyone called it Sonny Molloys
    There was a Naughtons where Boots is now, everyone called it Naughtons
    The other Neachtains was a straight bar which opened by invite only
    Nora Crube was run by Tom and Sean who did not drink in Neachtains
    The Quays was where you scored(you could buy second hand clothes next door)
    Del Rios was the best fast food outlet in Galway, remember the battered sausage
    Nicholas still offered Philosophy lessons in Garavans
    Ditto with Sean Lenihan in The Cellar
    There was no advice to be got in McSwiggans at it did not open until 1986

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

My Grandad ran Farrah when it burnt down!

People remember when Smyths was on the Palace, or the Claddagh movie house off the Crescent/Marys/Taylors/Fr.griffen(too many great memories in that place from Snow White to Jurassic Park).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The front door was Naughtons, everyone called it Sonny Molloys
    There was a Naughtons where Boots is now, everyone called it Naughtons
    The other Neachtains was a straight bar which opened by invite only
    Nora Crube was run by Tom and Sean who did not drink in Neachtains
    The Quays was where you scored(you could buy second hand clothes next door)
    Del Rios was the best fast food outlet in Galway, remember the battered sausage
    Nicholas still offered Philosophy lessons in Garavans
    Ditto with Sean Lenihan in The Cellar
    There was no advice to be got in McSwiggans at it did not open until 1986

Oh and she was the Sunday in every week....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

I think this post should be locked in case the parochial nature of the content causes offence to any non-Galwegians who might be reading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My aunt has photos of the fire at Farrah, i'll try and get them off her and post them.
    Someone a few pages back mentioned Keogh's shop in Corrib Park, well that was my grandmothers. Used to love family get togethers, adults in the kitchen havin a drink and all us kids eating all the sweets in the shop!

My dad worked in The Cellar from the late 60's untill the early 80's (was manager for a while also) I remember an old lad called Christy who used to take out his false teeth and rattle them off the bar counter to entertain everyone.
    I have a photo from 1980 of all the bar staff, if anyone wants a copy pm me and i'll sent you a copy.

Here's a photo from the 'far' Rahoon flats looking towards the Innishannagh Park direction in March 1977
    6255_1113982290258_1247948717_30408779_6911445_n.jpg

The Claddagh Palace sometime in the early 80's when someone messed around with the lettering for the movies
    6255_1113982330259_1247948717_30408780_97483_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This isn't going back that far but I'm curious if anyone has the answer. Cuba nightclub was known as the Icon for a couple of years in the late 90s. Does anyone remember the name of the bar that was on the ground floor (where Bar 903 is now)? I was in Bar 903 last week and it came up in conversation and I couldn't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

lovelyhome wrote: »
    Hmm, that doesn't sound right. I do remember that The Bentley was the nightclub while I was in school. As I recall it changed to the Icon so I'm sure the downstairs bar changed at the same time.

That was on Eglinton Street where GPO is now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Anyone remember when Salthill was FULL of nightclubs?

Oasis.
    Rumours.
    Saphires.
    The Oz.
    Hilltop.
    Twiggs,
    The Castle.
    Whispers.
    CJ's.
    Francie's.
    Cavern.

All of them were always busy too.

Also, Feeney's Shop.
    Kamal's Chipper.
    Bake N' Take.
    Del Rios.
    Beefeaters.
    Treasure Island.
    Silver Dollar.
    Big Ark.

Also Cheers in Salthill and The Galleon Grill owned by the Lydon House people, before that is was another Wimpy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Foxerella

I used to go to a cafe called Brambles opposite the Abbey Church to meet chicks. There would be 27 of us at one table drinking a Coke with 27 straws.

:) Oh I remember it well... and the murals downstairs.
    What about the Stella Cafe, and you could ask for a red box of matches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Foxerella wrote: »
    I used to go to a cafe called Brambles opposite the Abbey Church to meet chicks. There would be 27 of us at one table drinking a Coke with 27 straws.
    ]

I must know you Foxerella. I used to go there too circa 1986/87 to meet up with the hot young ones from the Mercy and Prez.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Claddagh Palace sometime in the early 80's when someone messed around with the lettering for the movies
    6255_1113982330259_1247948717_30408780_97483_n.jpg

The claddagh stored the letters in a box over the roof and you can see the box lid was open on the top right . Right of "Nun"

I got up there one night on me way home from Salthill ( pished) and changed Rambo to Ramboredsheep and I dropped a few letters on the ground along the way where they smashed . They are welcome to sue me of course :D

The best one I heard of was when someone changed the movie title "Cry Of The Innocent" to "Oh ***k Me" .

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Taylors.jpg
    Wipes tear from eye

Well I'd love to sipping a pint in there right now. Great spot it was.

skelliser wrote: »
    a few more...

spainish arch was a carpark
    jurys was a derelict mill
    arch motors was were bazaar is now
    easons was called o'gormans toy shop
    town hall theatre was a cinema with holes in must of the seats
    headford rd shopping centre had no roof
    there was no quincintenial bridge
    claddagh palace
    behind roches was a big carpark, carpark behind boi at bottom of the square, carpark behind corbett court, radisson/bus station was also a carpark, apartments on merchants road was also a car park
    massive dome type thingy down the docks for coal i think,
    main road went around that way also, now it cuts through past the harbour hotel.
    man with monkey in eyre square near imperial hotel
    blind accordian player outside treasure chest
    news at ten were monsoon is now
    o connors was were river island is, upstairs was video rental place with mirrors on each side as you walked up the stairs!
    omniplex/woodies was a field
    rahoon flats

Thank you. I had completely forgotten about that guy with the monkey. This thread is memory lane heaven!! :):)

Krieg wrote: »
    Elderly man who was able put his lip over half his face (another galway character)

That was Patcheen Stephens was it not, there's a great picture of him up in the train station.

My last memory of him is seeing him in the little bar that was down a laneway off Dominic St ( Clogs maybe?)and him demonstrating his gurning powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Thursdays rocked! If you were female and aged between 9 and 49, you had to swing in for a look every time you came in to town. Apart from the clothes, they also did a fantastic line in cheap accessories - very useful when those over-sized plastic earrings were in fashion in the 80s. Most of it, in my case, was very throwaway and disposable - apart from a pair of tweezers I picked up in 1992. They were about a £1 but they did the job for more than 16 years. I almost shed a tear when I lost them earlier this year. Especially when I ended up shelling out 15 quid for a new Tweezerman set... God bless Thursdays...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Great spot it was.

Ah poor Mick , what a gentleman ! I hope none of the parasites who owed him money are still alive , ***** !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Xenophon

The County Library used to be in the back of the Court House before it moved to Augustine St, and the children's section was in a small alcove by a bay window overlooking the Salmon Weir Bridge. We would listen at doors in the building to try and hear if a court case was being held when we'd get left off to get some books :-)
    Merchant's Road and most of the back streets looked direlict, and you wouldn't wander down them on your own in the evening.You could still see the black wooden tower from McDonogh's fertiliser works where Jury's is now.Before the Eyre Square Centre, there was CorbettCourt, and before that - Corbetts! There was also a sizeable carpark at the back of Corbetts.
    There were shops like Heatons (clothes), McGoldrick's (chemists), McNamara's (butchers), The Software Shop (software naturally), and Caulfield's in Dominick St where you could get lots of nice sweets by the quarter pound...
    Nora Barnacle's house was just another house, and all the houses in Bowling Green were run-down hovels.Where Westide is now was a swamp, where I used to catch frogs and newts as a kid. You could see rabbit, hares, stoats and weasels, and pick nuts and blackberries there. And it wasn't called Westside until well after the shopping centre opened - it was Dangan Upper or Newcastle!
    The Rahoon bus used to go up the Old Seamus Quirke Road, up Rahoon Road to the flats, and then come back that way again rather than going round Siobhan McKenna Road - because Siobhan McKenna road didn't go anywhere - it stopped at Corrib Park. Going for a walk along Circular Road brought you deep into farmland.
    On the other side of town, in Mervue, before the Eircom (Telecom Eireann) building went up c1984, there was only one road - Monivea Road heading out that direction. There was some waste ground we used to call Snakes Valley roughly where the Eircom building is, full of rabbit warrens, and hills for young lads on motorbikes to do jumps on. The shops in Mervue were Skelton's and O'Flaherty's. Castle Park was woodland. There were no houses anywhere near Ballyloughane beach. The Walter Macken flats in New Mervue had a huge 'Bobby Sands RIP' daubed in black on the side of them for ages.
    The thatched cottage in Blackrock at the end of the prom was inhabited.Misbehaving children were threatened with being sent to the Industrial School in Lower Salthill...

Advertisement