Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

gamecube or Nvidia fx 5900 ultra 256mb?

Options
  • 18-07-2003 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

What do you think? Should I get a camecube or a Nvidia FX5900 Ultra 256mb? Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

depends wat ye want to do, you could either beef up your pc with the latest card and have all those lovely bump maps texture mahoots etc etc that dx 9 has to offer

or buy a gamecube and fork out 60 euro a pop for games like mario etc etc

my pref would be the card

your gonna need it for HL2 and doom 3

Regards

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

buy me the card and I'll give you gamecube + games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tbh with komplett you could have the best of both worlds ,there are cards out that will run HL2 and Doom3 at a superb speed and a 2nd hand GC with some games, the cost of the FX would pay for both.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

according to komplett fx5900's the 256mb versions are 553.22 euros and that card ain't even in stock. where as a gamecube is only 200 with zelda. my opinion is if ya have the money go for the card if ya don't get a gamecube (or maybe get a second hand one and buy the cube and the card! ):D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you have a PC that can run HL2 happily then there is no point upgrading. I'd go for the GC either way

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Go for the gamecube, you wont regret it when you get to play pikmin(that's not a joke, the game rocks)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

In all fairness, is this question just made up? Your comparing a 500+ graphics card to a 200 euro games console? How can you even decide which one you want? Doom 3 and HL2 will run on any decent spec'd machine, anything from a Geforce Ti4200 upwards will run both well. Do you have decent PC that will make use of the graphics card even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

Get the cube.

Spending €400 on a video card is overkill. Any €100 video card will play all the current games to a fine standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Any €100 video card will play all the current games to a fine standard
    But it won't play the next generation of games to fine standard.

If you can afford to spend that much money on a card, then do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    ....Doom 3 and HL2 will run on any decent spec'd machine, anything from a Geforce Ti4200 upwards....

er...well no it won't really. well it'll work ok, but at a low res and not much detail. people might say that but whenever they say things like: "yeah, splinter cell runs smooth as silk at 1600x1200 and everything up full even when the cool lighting things are there" or the eqivilant (spelling?) of that on another game their talking bs, on my old 9700 pro and 512ram and 2600+, splinter cell dropped to around or below 10fps whenever any of the fancy lightings things were used....but with me 3d blaster fx 5900 ultra everythings er...well - if only i had time to actually install any games and even install the friggin card itself :( (im about 3000 miles from home....)

Eh no.. The Doom 3 E3 leak just happens to run at about an average of 15 fps on the above card.. This is excellent considering the code is totally unoptimised and the leak is over a year old now. When it is full optimised, the game will be able run at a far higher frame rate with said graphics card.

Also, Half Life 2 has a minimum spec of a 700 Mhz P3 with a Direct X7 Graphics Card. Thus, any P4 machine with a GeForce Ti4200 with 64mb of RAM will run the game in a more than acceptable fashion.

well yea but still since when do "minimum required spec" mean anything? they're usually just a load of crap - i mean look at unreal 2 the specs were something like 733mhz and a 32mb card. laugh. and when they do say minimum spec, thats generally the spec it needs to run it at lowest detail at probably the lowest res aswell - and im not a graphics whore or nethin but a game isn't really fun to play when all you can see is blocks...

oh and just outta curiosity, where'd you get those specs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Whether you buy the card or the Cube depends entirely on what you really want to play more - stuff like HL2 and Doom 3 (the only two games in the near future that will require a card like that), or all of the exclusive Nintendo console games. That's a personal decision entirely.

However, whatever the hell you do, do NOT buy a high end NVIDIA card. They are complately rubbish - overpriced and outclassed by the top of the line Radeon boards. The GeForce FX cards are a complete joke among game developers right now - I've spoken to quite a few developers, even those on NVIDIA's developer programs, who say that they really pity anyone spending good money on NVIDIA kit at the moment.

Originally posted by Spike
    on my old 9700 pro and 512ram and 2600+, splinter cell dropped to around or below 10fps whenever any of the fancy lightings things were used....

Your PC is broke.

kdjac

no like on the level set before that prison thingy....in the demo where you could do the split jump? well the level before that you had to go through a little pathway and on oneside and above you there was a little...er...garden wooden mesh thingy and the light cam through? and all the shadows n stuff....
    ah feck it i don't know. i killed that computer and built a new one anyway so :p:)

Shinji, care to explain a bit more with relation to this post? Any current benchmarks show that the FX5900 beats the 9800 Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Those fx5800/5900 cards are buggy hunks of poorly made noisy cards. They probably do run fast, and technically they can cope with most dx9 stuff, but only in the same unadmirable way the 3dfx 4/5 cards did (ie design them poorly, make them big, then overclock them to get up to speed and stick some dodgy noisy cooling systems on them to make sure they work most of the time). Ugh. On a driver level, the ati cards are, from experience in work, doing things to spec and not showing up any nvidia quirks which is what you want too.

It probably is just a personal thing, but when compared to the smaller, quieter, better ati cards it seems like the nvidia approach is soo wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

Yes I have a decent pc. pentium4 2gigz, 1024mb ram, 8x agp slot. Any way I have recently purchased the logitech z680s speakers so Im kinda broke now for about 3 weeks. But I still might get the nvidia fx 5900 as I prefer pc games to console games. But I do love my nintendo games. Maybe I will get both. Thanx for replying everyone. Cya.

That chap is just 16!?!?!?!?! What da ****? Where ya getting all the cash kid? :confused:

• Advertisement

summer job

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

I'd definately go for the nVidia FX 5900.
    Hmm wouldn't mind one of those myself. I really need a 500w+ PSU tho first. PC underclocked instead of overclocked :(

yea thats what i am going to get in about a month. Im going to wait till halflife 2 comes out and then I am going to buy it with halflife 2.

Advertisement