Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JRPG general discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    SMT4 out 30th of October. Buy it you fools!

Was just about to post this second asking when this is out, any idea on the price and is it e shop only?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

19.99 and eshop only.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone know when Hotaru no Nikki Is coming to Europe for vita?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Anyone know when Hotaru no Nikki Is coming to Europe for vita?

I have yet to see an exact date, just Q4 2014.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    I have yet to see an exact date, just Q4 2014.

Damn it looks like a cool little game.

• Advertisement

Damn it looks like a cool little game.

It is meant to be very dark and sinister despite its cute graphics with some gruesome deaths, it also is supposedly very tough as well.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is meant to be very dark and sinister despite its cute graphics with some gruesome deaths, it also is supposedly very tough as well.

The trophy list is up on psnprofiles and that generally means its releasing soon...well I hope anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Playing a lot of FFX on the Vita at the moment. It's not as good as I remember it. I think it being the only decent RPG on the PS2 at the time really helped colour my opinion of it. Not that it's crap or anything, it's a superb game, just not deserving of the praise it gets. After a slow start I'm really rather enjoying it.

The plot is a bit strange. Sin has an awful habit of appearing and then moving the characters conveniently along to the next plot point. The acting is way worse than I remember. It's not the actors fault though, it's very obvious the lines were recorded individually so there was no context to what they were saying and nobody to act against. It also takes a long time to get going, although not nearly as long as FFXIII thank god.

I can actually see a lot of similarities between it and FFXIII and it's fairly obvious the developers used FFX to inform FFXIII development, although they did it extremely poorly. FFX has a rather long tutorial phase just like FFXIII (although not nearly as long). However once you get to Besaid in FFX you have pretty much all of the combat options open to you. In XIII it takes hours before the player is given any control. FFX is very linear, just as linear as XIII but the areas are rather short and very well paced. FFXIII on the other hand is really poorly paced and dungeon areas are far too big. It's interesting to see how a few little changes like the pace of the game can be the difference between a great game and a poor one.

Playing a lot of FFX on the Vita at the moment. It's not as good as I remember it. I think it being the only decent RPG on the PS2 at the time really helped colour my opinion of it. Not that it's crap or anything, it's a superb game, just not deserving of the praise it gets. After a slow start I'm really rather enjoying it.

The plot is a bit strange. Sin has an awful habit of appearing and then moving the characters conveniently along to the next plot point. The acting is way worse than I remember. It's not the actors fault though, it's very obvious the lines were recorded individually so there was no context to what they were saying and nobody to act against. It also takes a long time to get going, although not nearly as long as FFXIII thank god.

I can actually see a lot of similarities between it and FFXIII and it's fairly obvious the developers used FFX to inform FFXIII development, although they did it extremely poorly. FFX has a rather long tutorial phase just like FFXIII (although not nearly as long). However once you get to Besaid in FFX you have pretty much all of the combat options open to you. In XIII it takes hours before the player is given any control. FFX is very linear, just as linear as XIII but the areas are rather short and very well paced. FFXIII on the other hand is really poorly paced and dungeon areas are far too big. It's interesting to see how a few little changes like the pace of the game can be the difference between a great game and a poor one.

I absolutely hated it when it first came out and between 02 and 04 I re started the game so many times because I really wanted to like it, at that time too there wasn't much being released in Europe in the JRPG terms, then I got the HD remake and I dunno why I love it now, strange!

I absolutely hated it when it first came out and between 02 and 04 I re started the game so many times because I really wanted to like it, at that time too there wasn't much being released in Europe in the JRPG terms, then I got the HD remake and I dunno why I love it now, strange!

It does take a very long time to get going but once it does it's a lot of fun. Back then I'd stick any RPG out so it didn't bother me. FFS I beat Legend of Dragoon around that time!

• Advertisement

FFS I beat Legend of Dragoon around that time!

I've never beaten it because the 4th disc is scratched and crashes during the last boss fight,so annoying.

Well **** FFX. Managed to dick the end game for myself again. Just like when I played this back in the day I totally forgot to do the destruction sphere in Besaid temple and I can't go back in until Dark Valefor is there. That means if I want it I either Zanmato him or level up such a dregree that the rest fo the post game content is a walk over. I can't get Anima or the Magus Sisters now which are a big help in the end game content. I only looked this up since I'm getting near the end game since I got to Bevelle.

Thanks for reminding me why I hate the Dark Aeons. **** it I'll stick with it, I was meaning to finish up all the end game content in this playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Well **** FFX. Managed to dick the end game for myself again. Just like when I played this back in the day I totally forgot to do the destruction sphere in Besaid temple and I can't go back in until Dark Valefor is there. That means if I want it I either Zanmato him or level up such a dregree that the rest fo the post game content is a walk over. I can't get Anima or the Magus Sisters now which are a big help in the end game content. I only looked this up since I'm getting near the end game since I got to Bevelle.

Thanks for reminding me why I hate the Dark Aeons. **** it I'll stick with it, I was meaning to finish up all the end game content in this playthrough.

Zanmoto him, that's what I did in my first playthrough. It was the only one I was missing too. Means you won't be overpowered to bits. But in saying that, once you are at dark aeon level, it's time to start getting overpowered anyway. There's literally no other way to get past penance

Ah I know but kind of wanted to do the non international edition side quests at a challenging level. I'll have to give it a think about how I deal with his annoying ass. I still think its totally stupid that they aren't optional since tey block a lot of otherwise low level content, for example Aurons over drives.

The person responsible for the sun sigil challenge should be shot with balls of their own ****e.

The person responsible for the sun sigil challenge should be shot with balls of their own ****e.

Yoshinori Kitase does not look like the type!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Finished Tales of Xillia 2, very good but has the usual problems of a recycled content sequel

On to Tears to Tiara 2, very slow start but there's a huge payoff when everything gets going

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Finished Tales of Xillia 2, very good but has the usual problems of a recycled content sequel

On to Tears to Tiara 2, very slow start but there's a huge payoff when everything gets going

Is tears to tiara really hard? I've read people complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Is tears to tiara really hard? I've read people complaining about it.

I've found it very easy so far and it has a pile of nicities that would make it playable even if it got much harder than it is, such as the ability to rewind turns if you mess up badly and multiple difficulties you can change at any time

Speaking of Tears to Tiara 2 it's on sale on play asia this week, must not have been a big seller unfortunately. Made sure to pick up Ar Nosurge as well, I have to start supporting these releases a lot better!

• Advertisement

Damn I have tears on the way from vgp and got ar nosurge too.

Valkryia Chronicles is coming to PC.

RQ7RP9S.png

FF type 0 has a new trailer and it looks like a significant visual upgrade over the e3 demo. The environments have been given a big boost. I'd still rather it on Vita but getting it at all is nice.

So I've gotten to the airship in FFX. It took a while to get going but it's finally reminding me of why I loved the game previously. It's side quest time not but I'm still really pissed off about the dark aeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Anyone play Natural Doctrine? Can't find a decent review of it. All moaning about things which don't sound particularly important. Can't trust reviews of SRPGs in general I find..

penev10 wrote: »
    Anyone play Natural Doctrine? Can't find a decent review of it. All moaning about things which don't sound particularly important. Can't trust reviews of SRPGs in general I find..

Haven't played it yet, gonna wait for it to go sale,Unfortunately there aren't any decent reviews for it, not any that I've read anyway. I found this guys opinions helpful though.

Rpgamer was very positive about it and gave it a good review although their reviews are a bit hit and miss, there's a few there with strange tastes in RPGs.

Valkyria Chronicles for PC is launching on the 11th of Nov for 20 Euro on Steam, it has all the DLC and will run at 60fps/1080p, will more than likely pick this up again.

I got tears tiara in the post today so that's my weekend sorted and got freedom wars during the week too \0/

• Advertisement

Probably a long shot but what do ye think the chances of square enix releasing HD versions of ff 7,8 and 9 are with trophies like ff10 ?

Advertisement