Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What if it is your main vehicle? (insurance)

• 05-06-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Anyone know? We're hoping to get a camper but needing to do it on the cheap this could be our falling point. My partner borrows his parents car and has been a named driver for it for the past 8 months, but we do not have our own... He has also only been driving for the past 25mths (and I don't at all). Are we looking at crazy money and what companies insure when you don't have a car in addition to the camper?

Thanks in advance and hi!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Anyone know? We're hoping to get a camper but needing to do it on the cheap this could be our falling point. My partner borrows his parents car and has been a named driver for it for the past 8 months, but we do not have our own... He has also only been driving for the past 25mths (and I don't at all). Are we looking at crazy money and what companies insure when you don't have a car in addition to the camper?

Thanks in advance and hi!

Hi,
    You could have a problem.
    Best advice, I would say, is to ring round different Ins Brokers, Ins Companies don't insure direct, and see what they say.

If you go to page #17 13/12/11, on here, there's a list of brokers that I managed to get the names of thanks to other members. There may also be others.

Best of luc, hope you manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭outstation42

Hmm, thank you, will see then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

If my memory serves correct you can join the Motorcaravan Club and then get the insurance through them without needing an additional private car. I did this a few years ago with a previous camper but things may have changed now.

If my memory serves correct you can join the Motorcaravan Club and then get the insurance through them without needing an additional private car. I did this a few years ago with a previous camper but things may have changed now.

Oh! Would we call up Motorcaravan Club and ask- clearly we don't want to join if we can't get a camper! (And they are ok with conversions?). Off to look into that, cheers.

Looks like you need to be recommended by an existing member to join the club...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Looks like you need to be recommended by an existing member to join the club...

Have you tried ringing any of the brokers like Dolmen/Stuarts? Pretty sure one of them used to do it for around €650...

My partner tried calling Dolmens yesterday but couldn't get through and then forgot his phone number to leave on answer phone. :rolleyes: Then all the stuff here seemed to suggest it was a totally no go. We can afford another few hundred if that could do it- clearly cheaper than having an additional car!

My partner tried calling Dolmens yesterday but couldn't get through and then forgot his phone number to leave on answer phone. :rolleyes: Then all the stuff here seemed to suggest it was a totally no go. We can afford another few hundred if that could do it- clearly cheaper than having an additional car!

Did you try others on the list from page 17 ?.

Ringing round all of them is the only way to go.
    Don't give up before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I wouldn't look at a camper as a cheap alternative to a car, of course it depends on the mileage you expect to cover but I'm going to baltimore tomorrow for a party and its cheaper to take the car and pay for a guesthouse than pay for the diesel and our van is pretty economical as they go.

If its just the two of you would an estate with a caranex be an option our friend has done europe and australia like that and swears by it. I've slept a few nights in our estate both summer and offseason with foil insulation for the windows and it was a much better option than the poor sods in tents when the wind and rain picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You could get his parents to insure the camper as they have existing vehicles on insurance to get around it. Get open drive on the camper, but you'd both need to be over 25 to qualify for cover on open drive.

That, plus they would need to be the owners of the van legally, as no insurance company will give you insurance on a vehicle you don't own as you would have no insurable interest in it.

• Advertisement

Did you try others on the list from page 17 ?.

Ringing round all of them is the only way to go.
    Don't give up before then.

He's calling the others now. Dolmen didn't call back from message left this morning.
    moodrater wrote: »
    I wouldn't look at a camper as a cheap alternative to a car, of course it depends on the mileage you expect to cover but I'm going to baltimore tomorrow for a party and its cheaper to take the car and pay for a guesthouse than pay for the diesel and our van is pretty economical as they go.

If its just the two of you would an estate with a caranex be an option our friend has done europe and australia like that and swears by it. I've slept a few nights in our estate both summer and offseason with foil insulation for the windows and it was a much better option than the poor sods in tents when the wind and rain picked up.

I meant cheaper than getting a car in addition. ;) We live in Dublin and I've never had a car so don't feel the need for one of those- well given the environmental and financial impact.

I've 3 kiddies too.
    You could get his parents to insure the camper as they have existing vehicles on insurance to get around it. Get open drive on the camper, but you'd both need to be over 25 to qualify for cover on open drive.

That, plus they would need to be the owners of the van legally, as no insurance company will give you insurance on a vehicle you don't own as you would have no insurable interest in it.

I know. They agreed to this last year when we asked but no go now. :rolleyes: He's not damaged their car or anything either!

The first on list (not sure which) has said 3 yrs as named driver which we can't fulfill. Partner is over 25 and I wouldn't be on insurance as I haven't learnt to drive,...

Edited- maybe 'main vehicle' gives the wrong impression- we wouldn't be using beyond trips away from the city for holidays.

O'Donovan's said it'd be 350 for normals or 6something for those with irregularities like us. So I think that looks positive- looking at looking at campers in the near future! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ellisonline

Hi there, long-time lurker on this forum, first-time poster with the same problem as yourself.

I'm insured on a VW campervan with Dolmen for the last few years as my main (and only) drive. It's 650 a year.

Like yourselves I live in Dublin so only use it when getting out of town but that seems to be their rate if it's the only vehicle you're insured on.

If you're insured on a car as well then the camper insurance comes down to 350 a year (as a second vehicle) but being a named driver on your mom or dad's car doesn't work (I tried that!), it has to be a partner's car or your own for some reason.

dolmen aren't great at answering the phone but was emailing them today about renewing my policy and they're pretty good at answering those...

Regards,

ellis

Hi there, long-time lurker on this forum, first-time poster with the same problem as yourself.

I'm insured on a VW campervan with Dolmen for the last few years as my main (and only) drive. It's 650 a year.

Like yourselves I live in Dublin so only use it when getting out of town but that seems to be their rate if it's the only vehicle you're insured on.

If you're insured on a car as well then the camper insurance comes down to 350 a year (as a second vehicle) but being a named driver on your mom or dad's car doesn't work (I tried that!), it has to be a partner's car or your own for some reason.

dolmen aren't great at answering the phone but was emailing them today about renewing my policy and they're pretty good at answering those...

Regards,

ellis

Hi, thanks for posting this. I have been led to believe that no-one would insure as main vehicle.

As there are always people asking about insurance I'll add this info to the old thread and that will bring it to the fore.

Again, many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ellisonline

PLenty more details on here

http://www.dolmen-insurance.ie/downloads/CSS-2010-ROI-310111.pdf

you'll see the rates down the end in small print - 355 a year or 640 if it's used as your main drive. They've also told me it's 698 or something like that to have open insurance on a camper that any insured driver with no points, etc, can use.

PLenty more details on here

http://www.dolmen-insurance.ie/downloads/CSS-2010-ROI-310111.pdf

you'll see the rates down the end in small print - 355 a year or 640 if it's used as your main drive. They've also told me it's 698 or something like that to have open insurance on a camper that any insured driver with no points, etc, can use.

That's fine, I'm with Dolmen and very happy with them but it's always good to shop around and find out what else is out there.

Sometimes worthwhile playing one off against the other:D.

Regards,

ellis

Thanks, for both your posts. Open drive is worth considering too...

Advertisement