Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Horizon Launched

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

gerbo wrote: »
    I currently have the very expensive combination of Sky Tv and UPC broadband. I have been reluctant to move from sky because I find the HD box excellent. Is it finally time to move to UPC? Is the Horizon EPG on a par with Sky?

I have the same setup as above and I'm in the process of cancelling SKY to go down the route of UPC for all 3.
    grimm2005 wrote: »
    A resounding "No" to your first question. The box is very buggy, and worse then the old UPC box in some ways. I'm sure others on the trial would agree. They have been releasing updates for it but I haven't seen any discernible difference. The UI is very "busy" and is far less user friendly then the old EPG, which in itself is less user friendly then Sky. The box needs a lot of work and I'm surprised UPC have decided that now is the right time to launch.

As for you're second query, you can watch movies streamed wirelessly from a connected PC. I'm unsure about a direct HDD connection but it does have a full size USB port so might be possible.

Ah sh1t b4lls. I though this new box might be the answer for my needs. Also read reports of the box wifi range being pretty sh1tty and not working upstairs etc. It looks like I will have to re-assess my plans :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Ah sh1t b4lls. I though this new box might be the answer for my needs. Also read reports of the box wifi range being pretty sh1tty and not working upstairs etc. It looks like I will have to re-assess my plans :(

The negative opinions on the Horizon box are not unanimous. I've had it for a while and have no issues with using wifi throughout the house or in the garden.

I've no major issue with the user interface either. Saying it's worse than the old UPC box is very harsh indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

The info on UPC's site about the new Horizon service includes a brief mention of being able to use the Guide on your iPad to change channel on your TV. It mentions needing a Horizon TV Remote App to do this, but there is nothing called that in the App Store.

Anyone know anything more about this?

I asked about this in the UPC talk to thread. Seems it will be released imminently. Especially as the version that was available on the Swiss iTunes store has been updated today and now includes Ireland under the log in choices. Yet to try it with my box tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Just heard about this product today. I was looking to get the new Setanta package but was put off when I saw there was no online access and the BT channels weren't available in HD. But it looks like I can stream different channels to a browser from the horizon box, and one poster above listed the sports channels in HD. Can someone with the service please confirm this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

I've asked this question on a previous thread but here goes again. Will I be able to record radio programs on the Horizon box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

The info on UPC's site about the new Horizon service includes a brief mention of being able to use the Guide on your iPad to change channel on your TV. It mentions needing a Horizon TV Remote App to do this, but there is nothing called that in the App Store.

Anyone know anything more about this?

Horizon Remote app is in the App Store today. I just downloaded it and gave it a try. Seems to work fine.

Anyone know if you can use the Horizon TV app when you're overseas? I assume not but it's worth asking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

Mearings wrote: »
    I've asked this question on a previous thread but here goes again. Will I be able to record radio programs on the Horizon box?

Hi Mearings,

Ive just checked and no doesnt look like you can record them.
    Does not give the option to view info like the TV stations.
    So unless someone else knows a way?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

Horizon Remote app is in the App Store today. I just downloaded it and gave it a try. Seems to work fine.

Anyone know if you can use the Horizon TV app when you're overseas? I assume not but it's worth asking :)

As far as I know you cant view the actual programs if you are not connected to a UPC broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

Tazzer wrote: »
    As far as I know you cant view the actual programs if you are not connected to a UPC broadband.

Oh right. Seems fair enough I suppose. This looks like a good deal for families alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Can anyone have a look at their signal strength and tell me where its at, when i plug my cisco box in i'm getting full bars on strength and quality, when i throw the horizon in they are down in the low mediums.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Tango One

The negative opinions on the Horizon box are not unanimous. I've had it for a while and have no issues with using wifi throughout the house or in the garden.

I've no major issue with the user interface either. Saying it's worse than the old UPC box is very harsh indeed.

I have to say I'm happy with its come along way since the early days of the trial and can only get better. From what I heard the trial was mainly sorting out all the major bugs and now they will focus on perfecting the box.
    0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Can anyone have a look at their signal strength and tell me where its at, when i plug my cisco box in i'm getting full bars on strength and quality, when i throw the horizon in they are down in the low mediums.

Cheers.
    Mines is on medium for strenght and high for quality. Are you having any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Tango One wrote: »
    I have to say I'm happy with its come along way since the early day of the trial and can only get better. From what I heard the trial was mainly sorting out all the major bugs and now they will focus on perfecting the box.

Mines is on medium for strenght and high for quality. Are you having any problems

Same here, there is the odd break up, but i'm guessing its all good if yours is the same.

Cheers for taking the time to do that, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Tango One

Same here, there is the odd break up, but i'm guessing its all good if yours is the same.

Cheers for taking the time to do that, much appreciated.
    I never even have the odd blip with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Can the Horizon Box mirror whats on your Personal computer?

For example if I play a video, say on VLC media player on my computer, am I able to view that on my TV through the Horizon Box?

Its just that I was thinking about purchasing appleTV and the sales advisor told me that the Horizon box was capable of this but I could find no info to verify what he said.

You can view videos that are on your pc

Windows Media Player with streaming enabled on windows media player
    Add videos music photos to your windows media player library
    Set it to allow all devices see your library

Important part when setting up horizon
    Network
    Do not let it scan your library devices

Twonky also works you will need get a licence code from upc you need to download the latest version from Twonky website it's called Twonky server

I stream a lot of videos to the horizon and it works fantastic

It's very important when you get the horizon you must not when asked answer yes to let the horizon scan for media files
    If you do you the horizon box will freeze

If you do let it scan for media files you must do a factory reset and when asked say no to keep any previous settings you must say NO

I'm at work now if you need help getting streaming videos to work pm me
    I will be available to help if needed from Friday Night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Thanks for the heads-up. I guess it pretty much makes the existing Horizon app obsolete, given you can stream content as well as control the Horizon box.

I did notice there's an incompatibility between the new Remote app and the old Horizon app; if the old app is 'running' in the background, the new Remote app will have problems. You have to kill the old one first.

Also, it says it's optimised for iPhone 4s and iPad 2 (& better). I tried it on the iPhone 4 and it was ok, but I'll have to wait until I get home to give it a proper tryout.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Tazzer wrote: »
    Hi Mearings,

Ive just checked and no doesnt look like you can record them.
    Does not give the option to view info like the TV stations.
    So unless someone else knows a way?

Thanks Tazzer. 4 years ago I had a basic digital recorder (TVonics DTR-Z500) which recorded all Freeview stations, inc. radio & which I found very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Just heard about this product today. I was looking to get the new Setanta package but was put off when I saw there was no online access and the BT channels weren't available in HD. But it looks like I can stream different channels to a browser from the horizon box, and one poster above listed the sports channels in HD. Can someone with the service please confirm this is the case?

The BT sports channels are definitely in HD on UPC.

You can view some of the UPC channels via the Horizon site (also on a iOS device via an app), but only a limited number of channels (about 40) and only if you're on a UPC network. I think they're still coming from UPC's servers rather than being streamed from your local box.

I haven't heard anything about streaming the 'premium' channels like sports & movies; I doubt that's the case.

Cheers.
    I had that problem 2 months ago
    I got UPC to come out to check my cables
    There was a short in the cable so they replaced the cable and put in a new upc box point
    From low signal it went to medium to high
    Depending on the channel your watching a HD channel should be very near the high setting for it signal
    Standard channels should be mid medium to high

It might be the same for you or it's the horizon box itself

The older upc digital box did not need good cables the Horizon does

Also only use one cable from upc point to horizon
    Using 2 cables male to female to extend to horizon will reduce its signal quality

Also the cable that comes with horizon box is poor use a high quality coaxial cable instead

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

did you download Twonky?

Yep. Doesn't work. Half a dozen visits from technicians didn't sort it out either so it's not just me being a mongo.

• Advertisement

SwdDub wrote: »
    Yep. Doesn't work. Half a dozen visits from technicians didn't sort it out either so it's not just me being a mongo.

Did you try using windows media player
    With streaming turned on

What pc you using and operating system

And important part the horizon needs to be your router and pc be connected to the horizon using wired or wireless wired been best

Are you using a router that's seperate from the horizon router if you are it won't work to stream to horizon as the horizon needs to on the same network as your pc

Just tried the new Remote app now, not bad!

A few glitches though - switching between channels you're watching on the iPad is a bit sluggish (and had a few "Connection Problems" when doing so). Also, using the on-screen keyboard on the iPad to search doesn't work well at all, it's very laggy with maybe one keypress in 5 getting through. (Unless you type V E R Y S L O W L Y).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Usaint

SwdDub wrote: »

SwdDub
    Could the firewall on your PC be blocking the connection? Try turning it off for 15 minutes then setup your home media.

Regards,
    Us

• Registered Users Posts: 11 finn20

Hi I have ordered the horizon box and was wondering if I ordered another box for the bedroom would it have to be wired in ? Or would it just work off the wifi signal ...

finn20 wrote: »
    Hi I have ordered the horizon box and was wondering if I ordered another box for the bedroom would it have to be wired in ? Or would it just work off the wifi signal ...

They only allow 1 horizon HD Box per household for now

You can still have multiroom Digital + HD box or standard box or digital + box

They have in Holland new multi room horizon box planned similar to sky hd multi room box but there not released yet there so it will be a while before Ireland see them

• Registered Users Posts: 11 finn20

paulboland wrote: »
    They only allow 1 horizon HD Box per household for now

You can still have multiroom Digital + HD box or standard box or digital + box

They have in Holland new multi room horizon box planned similar to sky hd multi room box but there not released yet there so it will be a while before Ireland see them

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Well everyone has their own experiences with the box but personally I don't think it's that harsh tbh. While missed recordings are much less of an issue then they used to be, that's pretty much the only major improvement imo. It's still quite laggy in places but the biggest minus that makes it imo worse then the previous box is the UI as a whole. Too many 3D menu type transitions and button presses for what should be simple things. Big thumbnails and text instead of having an interface where you can quickly browse through channels and see whats on later without disrupting your viewing.

The guide is also hopelessly broken. No way of quickly seeing whats on days in advance and scrolling is completely broken. Also On Demand is a nightmare to use as they don't list content, just give big thumbnails which is no use if you quickly want to find a certain programme (something which the search feature should alleviate but it doesn't).

There's more but this is quickly turning into a bit of a rant lol so I'll stop there. I really wanted to like this box and had very high hopes it'd be a saving grace for UPC as their broadband is second to none and all they needed was a TV service to match but for now it seems Sky+UPC seems to be the only way to go to get the best of both worlds. There's some great potential for it but the software and interface just isn't up to scratch but I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as I was in a trial but now that it's now public I have doubts there's going to be any great update to overhaul the interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Usaint wrote: »
    SwdDub
    Could the firewall on your PC be blocking the connection? Try turning it off for 15 minutes then setup your home media.

Regards,
    Us

There is no doubt at all that its his own firewall so he needs to turn off both windows firewall and any Anti virus software until its working and then work backwards to see whats blocking it. I think UPC are going to suffer badly with folks home networks and blaming things on the horizon box. There is deffo space for lessons to be learned by UPC techs to know that some issues cannot be fixed by engineer site visits or replacing the box as the home network is beyond the scope of their Support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

This post has been deleted.
    nope, you cant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Anyone care to comment on what the wifi signal is like?

EDIT: Nvm see it talked about in another thread thanks

Advertisement