Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nokia Lumia 800

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Ok no need for the tone,i wasnt aware there was a windows marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well in fairness you kinda of answered your own question! You were aware that the Nokia N8 had Nokia Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Yeah that a good phone would be hindered by a lack of apps but obviously thats not the case.One question is windows market as good as android or the app store?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ofcork wrote: »
    Yeah that a good phone would be hindered by a lack of apps but obviously thats not the case.One question is windows market as good as android or the app store?
    It's catching up! People will try an talk about the number of Apps make such a store better, but that's not the case, can very much be quality over quantity! A lot of all the main Apps people use are available for Windows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

You can see the apps available here. Theres 50 thousands apps in just over a year now :) Quite impressive. Main apps are there anyway and as in the post above their a lot higher quality than what you find in android.

Microsoft has made very good developer tools to make beautiful apps that match the OS and look great. So even when your in an app you might just feel like its in the OS itself.

Not something like on Android where theres about 100 popular good looking apps and the rest look like something quickly thrown together or consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

As far as I know, Lumia 800's bought in Europe won't work in the US.

However Nokia have announced the Lumia 900 which fixes some issues in the 800. So you might want to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

G-Money wrote: »
    As far as I know, Lumia 800's bought in Europe won't work in the US.

However Nokia have announced the Lumia 900 which fixes some issues in the 800. So you might want to wait!

From what I read the Nokia lumia 900 is AT&T exclusive. So might not get here for a while.

A European lumia 800 should work fine on AT&T in America. It's only on the other networks that you'd have an issue, due to CDMA on Verizon or different 3G frequencies on the other big network.

Personally I'd like the 800 with an RGB screen like the 900. And with more storage space, at least 32GB, and a better docking option similar to what iPhone provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Do nokia have any version of android market to go with this as all phones are about apps now, i went from an n8 to a htc sensation and there is no comparison between ovi and android market so nokia need something or people will not buy.

The lumia is a windows phone and uses windows marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Has anyone bought this from Amazon UK?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Has anyone bought this from Amazon UK?

Is there any reason you ask?

I have bought phones from them in the past with no problems whatsoever

Just wondering if all the customs charges are already included in the cost as I assume they are (unlike Play).

As Vodafone are not initially stocking the cyan version, I was thinking of going the Amazon or Clove route.

Just wondering if all the customs charges are already included in the cost as I assume they are (unlike Play).

As Vodafone are not initially stocking the cyan version, I was thinking of going the Amazon or Clove route.

I bought mine from Amazon.de and there was no hidden extra costs.

Yes dispatched from eu so no hidden charges. Play.com ship from jersey like zavvi and a few select others? Amazon are great for returns etc in my experience

Ye, I think I'll wait to see what prices Vodafone are charging first and if they are charging more than Amazon or Clove.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Ye, I think I'll wait to see what prices Vodafone are charging first and if they are charging more than Amazon or Clove.

I nearly guarantee that vodafone will be more expensive on pre pay . Since when do phone shops match online ? :)

I'm getting a cyan one next month for around from a German website for around 400 T-Mobile simfree one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Nokia are going with the Windows OS not android.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

simi956 wrote: »
    On O2 the Lumia 800 passed there testing on the 16th Dec, see http://community.o2online.ie/t5/General-Handset-Questions/Handsets-Coming-Soon-to-O2/td-p/327956 Also when I was in chatting to the guys in 3 there also said the end of January.

Do you know if Meteor getting the handset?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Peteee wrote: »
    Do you know if Meteor getting the handset?

not for a while as it will stay with the big two (possibly three) for a couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gvzAxle

Went into carphone warehouse today, the guy in there said the lumia 800 was launching today for vodafone. Can anyone confirm that? He also said that O2 will be getting it "soon" and meteor in about a month. I forgot to ask about three.

• Advertisement

Well did you ask him for prices?!

He didn't know the price.

This morning I went into the Vodafone store and the guy there told me that they got a preview of the phone yesterday, not a shipment. He said that it would be available on Feb 1st. He also said that the 900 model would probably be available a few weeks later but I think that was just a guess really.

I also checked in the Meteor store and he said they would have the 800 in March and probably a month later for the 900 (yet again I reckon this is just a guess).

Also, neither the vodafone or meteor staff I talked to could give me a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

gvzAxle wrote: »

This morning I went into the Vodafone store and the guy there told me that they got a preview of the phone yesterday, not a shipment. He said that it would be available on Feb 1st. He also said that the 900 model would probably be available a few weeks later but I think that was just a guess really.

I also checked in the Meteor store and he said they would have the 800 in March and probably a month later for the 900 (yet again I reckon this is just a guess).

I wouldn't go on what these sales people in the shops say, they hardly ever know what there on about....

Firstly, the 900 is an LTE(4G) phone, and networks here won't be starting to roll out LTE here until at least 2013, and secondly its 3G radio doesn't support the 2100Mhz frequency so 3G won't work here either.

Sorry to break the news, but as it currently is the 900 is never going to go on sale here! So unless they develop a different version and swap out the radios it looks like all were getting is the 800 (which I've had for the last 7 weeks and I can tell you its pretty great as it is)

Confirmation of the 1st Feb launch of the lumnia 800 on vodafone:

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-800-hitting-ireland-february-1st-900-following

It also says the 900 in Q2 2012, which seems unlikely if LTE isn't rolled out here till 2013 like you say stevenf17. According to this article, the 4G spectrum is only getting auctioned sometime this year, which suggests a long wait for LTE phones.

More likely europe will get a rebranded 900 with similar specs but no LTE.

stevenf17 wrote: »
    Firstly, the 900 is an LTE(4G) phone, and networks here won't be starting to roll out LTE here until at least 2013, and secondly its 3G radio doesn't support the 2100Mhz frequency so 3G won't work here either.

Thats the US Lumia 900 you're talking about.

Also, neither the vodafone or meteor staff I talked to could give me a price.

If they didn't know prices then it's obvious it's nowhere near launch!

damn, so unfair. My missus is getting an 800 today for nothing. I am so jealous :(

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

damn, so unfair. My missus is getting an 800 today for nothing. I am so jealous :(

what do you mean for nothing

• Advertisement

vicM wrote: »
    what do you mean for nothing

I mean for free...nada. No money out, no new contract. Just a new handset. She works in MS and there are a select few getting the handsets

Advertisement