Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Frampton VS Avalos ITV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

kilns wrote: »
    The only annoying thing about the Frampton thing is McGuigan, a bit like Eubank with Jnr

The Mcguigan vibe strikes me as being pretty intense and I think Frampton also needs an experienced voice in the corner for some of the fights ahead!

I think Donaire is lose lose and he's a step above Quigg. With the momentum he has at the moment I think they should roll the bandwagon on to vegas and try get the Cruz fight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

check the "knockdowns" - I wouldnt say he was ever in any danger at all

Getting knocked down twice by an unranked guy is pretty alarming. Imagine what an elite boxer like Carl could achieve? I will say that guy was freakishly tall for his weight and his reach probably played a part in his success in flooring Rigo but still Rigo is well into his thirties now. Carl has a chance. Rigo is kinda like Marquez in the way he gets dropped a fair amount in his fights but is rarely actually hurt badly by knockdowns. His recovery is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

I wouldnt get too carried away with tonight - Avalos is soft and hes in the top 5, also with someone like Quigg - sbw lacks any depth these days, not Carls fault - Carl is best of the rest, but doesnt touch Rig or LSC to a slightly lesser extent

I wouldnt get too carried away with tonight - Avalos is soft and hes in the top 5, also with someone like Quigg - sbw lacks any depth these days, not Carls fault - Carl is best of the rest, but doesnt touch Rig or LSC to a slightly lesser extent

Then dont get carried away with Rigo beating an absolute bum. Avalos was a true test for any Sbw. And that's crazy talk, Sbw hasnt been as competitive since Morales and Barrera times. You have three legit p4p boxers there, all undefeated. I'd rank it in the top 5 divisions in boxing arguably top 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Getting knocked down twice by an unranked guy is pretty alarming. Imagine what an elite boxer like Carl could achieve? I will say that guy was freakishly tall for his weight and his reach probably played a part in his success in flooring Rigo but still Rigo is well into his thirties now. Carl has a chance. Rigo is kinda like Marquez in the way he gets dropped a fair amount in his fights but is rarely actually hurt badly by knockdowns. His recovery is excellent.

Boxrec have Amagasa 8th, was 7th. Not exactly unranked. He also happens to an odd fighter for that weight as he's 5'10 and a reach of 71". When you're thinking Rigo is 5'4 and Frampton is 5'5, it's a big size difference.

• Advertisement

Then dont get carried away with Rigo beating an absolute bum. Avalos was a true test for any Sbw. And that's crazy talk, Sbw hasnt been as competitive since Morales and Barrera times. You have three legit p4p boxers there, all undefeated. I'd rank it in the top 5 divisions in boxing arguably top 3.

Scott Quigg and Avalos in top 5 sbw's, plus Martinez being considered as a serious contender... You don't have to go back as far as morales and Barrera. When Martinez beat Dunne he wasn't even considered a remote danger to the top sbw's at the time. And it could be argued he was at his peak about then.

Rig's record and reputation speaks for itself, you can point at the top 10 fighter and call him a bum, but if you do then its only because you agree sbw division lacks any depth, kind of contradicting yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 54,588 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Avalos was pretty ordinary, but Carl looked as sharp and strong as ever. Refreshing to see an Irish pro with a solid inside game.

As to Rigo. I've had my bellyfull of the nonsense surrounding him and boxers "afraid" to meet him. Whether it's on this forum or elsewhere. He's a man, with two arms and two legs. It's not like anyone has to move 3 weights to meet him. He hasn't done anything major in his pro career apart from a win over Donaire. He's in his mid 30s now. Man up and fight each other. You're meant to be hard an confident pro boxers. Listening to Barry it is Frampton who is number 1. Ok, go fight the best then.

Rant over

titan18 wrote: »
    Boxrec have Amagasa 8th, was 7th. Not exactly unranked. He also happens to an odd fighter for that weight as he's 5'10 and a reach of 71". When you're thinking Rigo is 5'4 and Frampton is 5'5, it's a big size difference.

Amagasa dropped down from Featherweight although I think he was ranked pretty decently there....no fights at SBW prior to Rigo...only reason he was ranked top 10 is because of the Rigo fight, lets be real here...and I already acknowledged his height advantage in a previous post. I am not blaming Rigo for taking the fight because he is one of the most ducked boxers there is, but I just wouldn't take much from his performance other than he can get knocked down...that's all I was saying.

And with regards to SBW, you also have Donaire there and Tomoki Kameda is soon to move up...two more p4p level fighters. The division was not stronger at the time of Dunne, nowhere close. That Kiko win was sheer luck lets be honest here. Dunne would get KO'd by Frampton, Rigo, Donaire and LSC in the best shape of his life and Quigg would also beat him. It's been a very long time where there was two SBW's ranked high in the ring's p4p (Donaire top 5, Rigo just outside top 10 prior to their fight) and there are several household names in the division...it's a thriving division, Frampton and LSC are nearly pushing for p4p status, Carl especially as Al Haymon is f*cking up LSC's prime years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭weemcd

Another win or two and Frampton is knocking on the door of the p4p lists

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

weemcd wrote: »
    Another win or two and Frampton is knocking on the door of the p4p lists

I like him and he's a good fighter but not near a P4p ranking at this point, needs to beat some top ranked fighters before you can even think of it. His next two fights would have to be Santa Cruz and Rigo and they won't be, Quigg will be next, who knows after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Scott Quigg and Avalos in top 5 sbw's, plus Martinez being considered as a serious contender... You don't have to go back as far as morales and Barrera. When Martinez beat Dunne he wasn't even considered a remote danger to the top sbw's at the time. And it could be argued he was at his peak about then.

:eek:, I'd like to see someone try and argue that. I don't think you'll find many who believe Martinez's was back when he was mixing wins and losses at European level as opposed to the last year and a half when he's been primarily winning at World level.

Martinez has improved in leaps and bounds and I certainly wouldn't consider a division weak because he is considered a top 5 fighter. It is true that Super-Bantamweight lacks depth outside of the top 5/6 guys, even the outer reaches of the top 10 are really just prospects. But the top guys really are fantastic, and I think we'll see some good contenders emerge within the next 18 months. I really like the look of Albert Pagara, and Kid Galahad is starting to show some substance to go with the style.

LSC, what has he done in his last 4 fights to suggest he is above Frampton ?
    IMO his lack of tough opposition is starting to get to him, and there's little progress in his performances. LSC is irrelevant anyway, unless Frampton, Quigg or Rigondeaux sign with Al Haymon they won't be fighting him (and neither will another other opponent with even an element of risk).
    megadodge wrote: »
    There was no standing count rule in effect.

In most juristictions there isn't.

It perplexes me that more people aren't aware of this. I mean so few places use them (even most of the ones that do use them infrequently), that you'd think most people wouldn't even be aware they're used in pro boxing at all and think it's just an amateur rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Great win for Carl last night...Walked the guy down which was impressive.

I liked the "sucker punch" showed a real ruthlessness and killer instinct which will be vital vs a Santa Cruz or Quigg even. He was perfectly in his rights to do so.

Also ITVs better fight production was enjoyable in comparison to the poor quality of boxnation. The atmosphere really came through your tv last night. Electric.

It got dulled down on BN which was a pity.

Nonsense from McGuigan afterwards mentioning Rigo when he has no intention of making that fight anytime soon.

Felt sorry for Quigg afterwards...he's out of his depth on camera...Eddie Hearn should have been there with him imo.

rebelomar wrote: »

Nonsense from McGuigan afterwards mentioning Rigo when he has no intention of making that fight anytime soon.

Yes, chasing Scott Quigg? What will that tell us? That he's better than Scott Quigg? It's all money. And who can blame them. Probably make more fighting Quigg than an actual world champion, Rigondeaux. Ok, we'll give him Quigg as a warm up and Rigondeaux at the end of the year. Anyone notice the 2-3 inch height advantage to Quigg? I think it makes for a very good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

He'll likely beat Quigg, it'll be for good money, and it'll be a title defence. No one will give out stink if he fights him and then goes on to fight either LSC or Rigo in the next 2 fights.

Rigo will likely beat him so it's understandable to try and make as much money as possible while he's got the strap

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Frampton continues to really impress, a few years ago there was probably not much between Quigg and Frampton and I gave the edge to Quigg but Frampton has progressed to a level far beyond Quigg. He would destroy him now.

Johner wrote: »
    Frampton continues to really impress, a few years ago there was probably not much between Quigg and Frampton and I gave the edge to Quigg but Frampton has progressed to a level far beyond Quigg. He would destroy him now.

I would agree about Frampton. I am seeing steady improvements. Seems to take a good shot too. Takes it and continues in offense mode. That's a sign of a good beard. Quigg's height and tight defence could make for a great style clash. Quigg is as fit as a fiddle, strong and can bang a bit to the body. Frampton is IMO clearly a better all rounder. I see this as a barnburner. Not much ground given, and could boil down to who is fitter and stronger. I would lean with Carl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

;)
    walshb wrote: »
    I would agree about Frampton. I am seeing steady improvements. Seems to take a good shot too. Takes it and continues in offense mode. That's a sign of a good beard. Quigg's height and tight defence could make for a great style clash. Quigg is as fit as a fiddle, strong and can bang a bit to the body. Frampton is IMO clearly a better all rounder. I see this as a barnburner. Not much ground given, and could boil down to who is fitter and stronger. I would lean with Carl.

I don't think it would be v close, Frampton would outbox him clearly IMO, Hearn is no fool, if he thought quigg could really win he would be all over this fight, it might happen but it won't be Hearn pushing his boy out to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Yes, chasing Scott Quigg? What will that tell us? That he's better than Scott Quigg? It's all money. And who can blame them. Probably make more fighting Quigg than an actual world champion, Rigondeaux. Ok, we'll give him Quigg as a warm up and Rigondeaux at the end of the year. Anyone notice the 2-3 inch height advantage to Quigg? I think it makes for a very good fight.

Ah definitely. No problem with the Quigg fight at all. Could be a huge fight with big financial rewards for both men.

I think Frampton hits too hard for Quigg who we have seen on the canvas before...in fairness to Quigg he recovers well as he is in seriously good shape but I feel Carl is as good a finisher there is in the division and he'll get him outta there at some point. Will be a good contest till that point.

McGuigan calling out Rigo though is a bit Cringey when they have Quigg in the ring and clearly not intent on fighting Rigo anytime soon.

Gary Hyde was on a podcast last night and said he made a beeline for McGuigan afterwards to have a chat about the potential fight but Barry basically blanked him...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Frampton vs Rigo is almost at a point where it's interesting now. That alone reflects huge progress in Frampton.

Henno30 wrote: »
    Frampton vs Rigo is almost at a point where it's interesting now. That alone reflects huge progress in Frampton.

I think so. Give it a fooking bash. What's the worst that can happen? You lose....Frampton has heart and fitness and power and a decent chin it seems. He can fight all night, and I reckon he won't be afraid to take the fight to Rigo. Far too much is being made of Rigo here. He's a SBW, not a MW. Get in there, rough it up and give it your all. You might just surprise yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I think so. Give it a fooking bash. What's the worst that can happen? You lose....Frampton has heart and fitness and power and a decent chin it seems. He can fight all night, and I reckon he won't be afraid to take the fight to Rigo. Far too much is being made of Rigo here. He's a SBW, not a MW. Get in there, rough it up and give it your all. You might just surprise yourself.

I don't think Frampton would fear Rigondeaux anymore. Respect yes, but not fear. Of course there is the money fight there with Quigg first, a Superfight on this side of the Atlantic, and that's surely where they'll go to first.

But if he comes through that I wouldn't be that surprised for Barry to actually try and make it. It's far more likely than a fight with LSC imo.

Carl couldn't have won any better, however rig is a couple of steps up from Avalos and Martinez. A step too far I believe, and after McGuigan comes down from the jelly beans he will cop on to avoid Rig and go for the cash, rightly so imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Carl couldn't have won any better, however rig is a couple of steps up from Avalos and Martinez. A step too far I believe, and after McGuigan comes down from the jelly beans he will cop on to avoid Rig and go for the cash, rightly so imo

i doubt very much that carl and rigo match will ever come about ,plenty out there for frampton to overcome and no way will barry risk frampton against rigo for maybe 2/3 years at least

barney4001 wrote: »
    risk frampton against rigo for maybe 2/3 years at least

Jeez, we could all be dead by then!:pac:

That's a long time to to be thinking that either of them would be even still be at SBW, or even still pro boxers worth a damn!

They are both world champions. What else has to happen before the best meet the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Frampton and his team will come under serious pressure if they don't make the Rigondeaux fight after Quigg. Santa Cruz doesn't seem interested in fighting anyone with a pulse so after Frampton beats Quigg, the Rigo fight is the only big fight available really.

It's like Chavez Jr with Martinez and Donaire with Rigo, Frampton will be able to put it off for a few fights but it will have to be made at some point.

I won't be attending any of his fights if he ends up fighting C-level Asians while Rigo is available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Ginzo

Hes fighting Quigg in Manchester in September apparently..

wow - 6months, that would be his last fight of the year - methinks mc giugan is hoping Rig retires by then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

wow - 6months, that would be his last fight of the year - methinks mc giugan is hoping Rig retires by then

Rig won't retire soon. He is not exactly 'minted'

Rigo is 34 and the older he gets the more chance someone has if beating him, kind if like Floyd. If Framptons team can tease this out so they fight Rigo at age 36 they've a great chance of winning.

• Advertisement

If Framptons team can tease this out so they fight Rigo at age 36 they've a great chance of winning.

That's a pretty pathetic scenario though.

Advertisement