Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC accommodation

• 18-05-2015 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I applied for Victoria Mills accomodation for next year and I didn't get my place even though I know people who sent in the application after me and got their place and it said it was "first come, first serve" which was obviously not true

I'm going into 1st year so I was depending on staying in on campus accommodation but now applications are all closed. What can I do to get accommodation in Cork now where there will be first years? I really don't want to be with groups of people in 3rd or 4th year and digs aren't ideal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I suppose they prioritise those who are definitely going to be in UCC. If you have applied to UCC, you could technically change your mind and end up not going to UCC. Having said that, there will be many who have been granted places who will also change their minds, so I would say it is definitely too early to be stressing over not having a place. Lots will happen between now and next August. Touch base with them on a regular basis and be sure you are on a cancellation list.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Laur33

overmantle wrote: »
    I suppose they prioritise those who are definitely going to be in UCC. If you have applied to UCC, you could technically change your mind and end up not going to UCC. Having said that, there will be many who have been granted places who will also change their minds, so I would say it is definitely too early to be stressing over not having a place. Lots will happen between now and next August. Touch base with them on a regular basis and be sure you are on a cancellation list.

All the courses on my CAO form are for UCC and the person who put in their application after me is also going into first year so there's a chance they could chage their mind too so i don't understand why they would prioritise them, anyway i also know someone who sent it in the minute it opened and didn't get an offer so their system just seems very unfair..
    I just really don't like the uncertaintly, thanks for replying anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LauraKc

Just wondering when did you send in your application? I didn't get a place either... :(

LauraKc wrote: »
    Just wondering when did you send in your application? I didn't get a place either... :(

9:09 :( it's actually a joke that I didn't get it! when did you send yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 quartzxx7

Laur33 wrote: »
    I applied for Victoria Mills accomodation for next year and I didn't get my place even though I know people who sent in the application after me and got their place and it said it was "first come, first serve" which was obviously not true

I'm going into 1st year so I was depending on staying in on campus accommodation but now applications are all closed. What can I do to get accommodation in Cork now where there will be first years? I really don't want to be with groups of people in 3rd or 4th year and digs aren't ideal

I'm the exact same i applied at 9.10 and apparently they all filled up within the first 2 minutes? I'm stuck now because all the other student accommodation on campus is booked out and i dont want to rely on the waiting list.. Anywhere else I'm afraid will be 3rd or 4th years and I'd waaaay rather being with 1st years

• Advertisement

quartzxx7 wrote: »
    I'm the exact same i applied at 9.10 and apparently they all filled up within the first 2 minutes? I'm stuck now because all the other student accommodation on campus is booked out and i dont want to rely on the waiting list.. Anywhere else I'm afraid will be 3rd or 4th years and I'd waaaay rather being with 1st years

it didn't fill up that quick because i know people who sent it in at 9:15 and got a place! i heard about people who sent it at 9 exactly and didn't get it it's ridiculous.. we might be okay though because on campus accommodation will take people a lot of the time they have vacancies, i'm going to ring the accommodation office anyway to see what they'll say

• Registered Users Posts: 4 quartzx7

it didn't fill up that quick because i know people who sent it in at 9:15 and got a place! i heard about people who sent it at 9 exactly and didn't get it it's ridiculous.. we might be okay though because on campus accommodation will take people a lot of the time they have vacancies, i'm going to ring the accommodation office anyway to see what they'll say

Seriously? That's a joke like it was my only option i didnt even think about not getting it since I applied so early. Yeah hopefully something will come up. I've rang up and castlewhite, vic lodge etc are all booked out so im basically relying on any cancellations.

quartzx7 wrote: »
    Seriously? That's a joke like it was my only option i didnt even think about not getting it since I applied so early. Yeah hopefully something will come up. I've rang up and castlewhite, vic lodge etc are all booked out so im basically relying on any cancellations.

yeah i though i definitely had it aswel and really if they were going by who sent it first we would have got it :( oh really? i wish i applied for more than one now but I wasn't expecting this to happen.. oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 8 emmacrow

im in the same boat as everyone else here😧 my mum rang victoria mills about 2 months ago and they said it wouldnt be a problem getting a place. i emailed then at 9.12 and didnt get a place. i really thought i was going to get a place so didnt book anywhere else and now every place is booked! im thinking maybe house sharing. you can rent full appartments or houses and then rent each room . anyone else thinking the same? it works out cheaper anyway.

emmacrow wrote: »
    im in the same boat as everyone else here😧 my mum rang victoria mills about 2 months ago and they said it wouldnt be a problem getting a place. i emailed then at 9.12 and didnt get a place. i really thought i was going to get a place so didnt book anywhere else and now every place is booked! im thinking maybe house sharing. you can rent full appartments or houses and then rent each room . anyone else thinking the same? it works out cheaper anyway.

people always say that house sharing isn't the best option for first year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 quartzx7

Maybe try fullers lodge I booked a place there 300 deposit and you get 200 back if you cancel. If I get offered a space in any on-campus accommodation I'll probably take it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

people always say that house sharing isn't the best option for first year :(

I did it this year with 3 second years. Delighted I did. Originally was going for Brookfield but the fact that I moved into a house meant I saved 2,300€ on rent this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Laura218

Hi guys, I'm just wondering how likely it is to secure accommodation if you're on a waiting list? I've put my name down on a few waiting lists for student complexes in Cork. I'm just wondering will there be space for students on waiting lists once the CAO offers come out? I know that people just put their names down on waiting lists even if they're not certain that they'll be studying in UCC. I'm so worried I'll end up with 4th years or in digs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

I applied for my accommodation early in the year and got a place due to a cancelation. So lucky

Do they get many cancelations?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

Laura218 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm just wondering how likely it is to secure accommodation if you're on a waiting list? I've put my name down on a few waiting lists for student complexes in Cork. I'm just wondering will there be space for students on waiting lists once the CAO offers come out? I know that people just put their names down on waiting lists even if they're not certain that they'll be studying in UCC. I'm so worried I'll end up with 4th years or in digs..

if you've applied for a few places you should be pretty much guaranteed at least one . realistically , i'd be expecting a choice if i were you so , if at all possible , i wouldn't immediately accept the first offer unless it was my first choice ofc

as an aside , im going into 4th year and will be living with other 4th years from diff courses and you'd be lucky to live with us lol .

stay away from the doctors and dentists tho ....

That's such a relief, thanks :) hmm somehow I dont think 4th years would be as crazy as 1st years haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

That's such a relief, thanks :)

no problem , hope you get the place you want anyway

hmm somehow I dont think 4th years would be as crazy as 1st years haha.

...........hmmmmm youve a lot to learn ........

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RACHEL1211

Looking for Accommodation in UCC! Everywhere is booked out I am also on waiting lists but if anyone here wants to share a house please let me know! I am going into first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bolu_ox

RACHEL1211 wrote: »
    Looking for Accommodation in UCC! Everywhere is booked out I am also on waiting lists but if anyone here wants to share a house please let me know! I am going into first year.

Yeah. I'm also looking for a house to share. I'm going into first year as well. Moving from Galway and I'm absolutely terrified ill be homeless...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Electric Boobs

I'm waiting for a place, but I'm a retturning customer. So when there are cancellations, I'll have an advantage as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

Electric Boobs, I think that's the best name I've seen on here so far :D

There is probably a list already here somewhere, but for convenience:

http://accommodation.ucc.ie/Accommodation

www.corkstudentlettings.ie

www.myhome.ie

www.daft.ie

www.trovit.ie

www.rent.ie

www.collegecribs.ie

Best of luck to the lot of ye in finding a place. If you're stuck when the time comes, you can all sleep on my couch :p

Bolu_ox wrote: »
    Yeah. I'm also looking for a house to share. I'm going into first year as well. Moving from Galway and I'm absolutely terrified ill be homeless...

Same story with me, I'm from Galway and I'm on about 6 waiting lists... I'm basically relying on cancellations! I'm thinking I might have to share a house, if you or any other 1st years are interested let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sineadcarthy

Hey lads I'm also looking for accommodation going into first year, on a few waiting lists but not looking good,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Electric Boobs

Hey lads I'm also looking for accommodation going into first year, on a few waiting lists but not looking good,
    I got a phone call from vic mills today telling me they'll keep a spot for me. Great stuff I said. I'm in the same block as this hot fella I sorta know

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Have ye tried deanshall crosses green? I lived there for two years while I was in ucc. It's about a ten minute walk to campus but it's just off washington street and its lovely being so close to town. Plus you save a fortune because you never have to pay for taxis/buses on nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 emmacrow

Anybody staying in Fullers Lodge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gstar420

I'm in 6th year now and doing my Leaving in June and I plan to do Nursing in UCC! (All going well!)
    I went to the open day there and I know the nursing lectures are all held in the Brookfield health and science building, so naturally I'm thinking about getting accommodation in Brookfield!
    From researching online I've been seeing lots of positive and negative reports on Brookfield...
    I have a few questions on it and if anyone can help me out I'd be so grateful!
    1) Is it nice in general, i.e. Is it a nice campus and are the quality of the apartments good?
    2) Which are better to go for, the apartments or townhouses?
    3) Can a group, say for the townhouse which holds 7/8 book together or similarly could 3/4 friends book together for the apartments?
    4) How strict is it? Can you have house parties e.t.c and can friends come and stay with you?

Anybody that could answer any of these questions I would really appreciate it! ☺️

Also if I wasn't to go for Brookfield what other accommodation would be good and close to go for if I'm doing nursing?

Many thanks 😊

Advertisement