Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mardyke Arena Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

its the rule to have a towel. they have signs everywhere telling you to bring one. you're meant to wipe down machines with your towel after use. i don't want to sit in your filth

you can't blame the staff for enforcing the rules. i'm pretty sure you tick a box accepting those rules when you join?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cooranig23

next time I see someone in there without a towel I'm going to tell the staff..
    for instance I always notice people jogging next to me almost drenched! and no towel.. they must be well in with staff or something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

EyeSight wrote: »
    its the rule to have a towel. they have signs everywhere telling you to bring one. you're meant to wipe down machines with your towel after use. i don't want to sit in your filth

you can't blame the staff for enforcing the rules. i'm pretty sure you tick a box accepting those rules when you join?

Yuk. Sorry that sounds so vile - moving germs around with your towel and also, contaminating your towel with other peoples germs and then probably wiping your own body with it. If your worried about hygiene, the machines should be washed or sanitized after use.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Liona

the practice in the gym i work at was to put your towel onto the seat and then sit on it. but we (the staff) also cleaned all machines a couple of times daily, which i am sure doesnt happen their either. i would be way to bored to sit on one of those chairs my whole shift long....

sporina wrote: »
    Yuk. Sorry that sounds so vile - moving germs around with your towel and also, contaminating your towel with other peoples germs and then probably wiping your own body with it. If your worried about hygiene, the machines should be washed or sanitized after use.
    the seats are sanatized throughout the day by staff. and the idea with the rule is that if everyone did it, then it would work out ok. but people like you won't. also if you're worried about towel contamination just bring another.

either way don't you bring a towel to the gym anyway to dry yourself after your shower? do you not sweat at the gym and think it's unfair that others have to use the machine afterwards with your sweat on it?

These are the rules of the gym. if you don't like them then you shouldn't have agreed to them. and you certainly can't complain when they're enforced

• Advertisement

the seats are sanatized throughout the day by staff. and the idea with the rule is that if everyone did it, then it would work out ok. but people like you won't. also if you're worried about towel contamination just bring another.

either way don't you bring a towel to the gym anyway to dry yourself after your shower? do you not sweat at the gym and think it's unfair that others have to use the machine afterwards with your sweat on it?

These are the rules of the gym. if you don't like them then you shouldn't have agreed to them. and you certainly can't complain when they're enforced

Em, excuse me?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Anyone any idea when the running track will be open again? And why don't they open up the second cardio gym opposite the men's dressing rooms all the time? the other one was packed out tonight when I went in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

i understand in a practical way why they want you to wipe down machine with towel but couldnt it also be a good route to picking up other people germs and infections ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Liona

yes cuz not everybody does it. however either u pick them up with your towel or with your cloth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Just wondering at what times and days would the pool be quietest?

• Advertisement

Normally, anytime before 6pm is okay

after 6 it usually gets packed with students!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Anyone here do the High Intensity Training class in the Mardyke? What is it like?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

cooranig23 wrote: »
    Normally, anytime before 6pm is okay

after 6 it usually gets packed with students!!

Its not necessarily students - Mardyke has a lot of paying patrons in the evening, when they would be finished work for the evening, they'd go to the gym before heading home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Its not necessarily students - Mardyke has a lot of paying patrons in the evening, when they would be finished work for the evening, they'd go to the gym before heading home

id say go before 3/4 if you can. It is always packed from then on. Most students would be finished at 4. Anytime from 9-2 is usually quiet.

it's a shame there's no jacuzzi there

just got out of the Mardyke gym and there was a note on my car to say that I would be fined for where I parked (i parked on the footpath - double yellow lines). It is a local mardyke residents committee who are doing this apparently and the note said that they forward my details to the guards/city council.. and a fine will be posted to me

is this for real? will i get a fine? this is a new thing obviously.. loads park on the park due to such little space..

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Anyone know what the opening hours on bank holidays are?

Anyone know what the opening hours on bank holidays are?
    10-7
    http://www.mardykearena.com/openingtimes.cfm

does anyone know if your membership is still valid until graduation?
    i graduate in october, my student card expires in september
    can i continue to go until the 30th of september?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

When will students be allowed park for free again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

does anyone know if your membership is still valid until graduation?
    i graduate in october, my student card expires in september
    can i continue to go until the 30th of september?

Yeah, I'd assume so! couple of friends of mine are planning to go as much as they can over the summer, make use of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Yeah, I'd assume so! couple of friends of mine are planning to go as much as they can over the summer, make use of it!!

Do all UCC students have free membership? I thought I read on the website something about €100 for the year? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

It's included in the registration and capitation fees you pay at the start of the year, so it's not exactly free membership, but if you're a student you've already paid so might as well use it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Damn, i've forgotten my ucc id at home. Anyone know if mardyke reception will let me through if I explain and give my info?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

They will, just go up to reception and tell them you don't have your card, and they'll ask for your student number, and maybe your name/d.o.b.

I haven't found my student card since the exams, and I've been there plenty of times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

They will, just go up to reception and tell them you don't have your card, and they'll ask for your student number, and maybe your name/d.o.b.

I haven't found my student card since the exams, and I've been there plenty of times :)

Thanks for the quick response. Time to exercise! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Anyone ever do the lifeguard course?

yenom wrote: »
    Anyone ever do the lifeguard course?

I haven't done it, but know a few people who did - tough course as far as I've heard

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I haven't done it, but know a few people who did - tough course as far as I've heard
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Can you get the guys in the gym to help you create a work-out plan? I heard they do that, but I'm not too sure and honestly i don't wanna go in and ask only to be told that they don't do that.

Advertisement