Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PIR - looking for recommendations

Options
  • 04-11-2014 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations for good quality PIR's (with no attached light).

I'm planning to connect up the PIR's to to my Siemens alarm system. The panel would then trigger a sound output to warn of outside movement & also switch on external floodlights (already fitted) via relays. The Siemens phone app could also then be used to switch on the external floodlights as required.

I imagine only 230v PIR's are available, although 12v would be easier to work with.

Many thanks,

Leo

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any of these would be ideal.
    http://www.gjd.co.uk/products/wired-detectors/
    Once the light is set up via a relay and a panel output you can use any umber of triggers,cause & effect & calendars to switch & control your lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭leo738

Koolkid,

Many thanks

Leo

Koolkid,

I have to say I'm a bit suprised these units are as expensive as they are. It looks like they'll be €150+ each.

Can you suggest any cheaper (but decent quality) unit?

Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

steinel pirs are fairly good ,german made..and these http://www.luxomat.com/en/index.php?ID=serie&proli=proli_bepra&gruppe=grp_bm230 are suppose to be ok aswell better than your cheap stuff anyway and maybe not as dear as the GJD pirs?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Steinal are good. They are mains powered. Ideally if you are connecting to your alarm 12vdc would be better and would give more flexibility.

• Advertisement

OK,

Many thanks for the replies.

Leo

Hello again,

I spoke to one supplier who was of the opinion that external PIR's are prone to false triggers. Is this correct?

Also anybody had experience with these:

http://www.riscogroup.com/products/product/151

Coming in around €100 or so.

Thanks,

Leo

Risco are a good brand & their products are generally pretty reliable & pretty flexible.

Advertisement