Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

• 23-01-2014 10:05pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This thread is to discuss all things Shannon Airport related.

Warning, any back biting, regional nonsense, trolling, baiting or back seat modding will lead to bans.

It's also important to remember than that this thread is in a regional forum, not the Aviation forum, if you want to get into details on Aviation, go to that forum. Finally, this is the Clare forum, there will be a bias towards Clare in here, so expect folk to want to defend their county .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

when are we going to get an early morning SNN-LHR flight back, this 8:45 flight is a disaster, you cant make it to London before 11:00 now if youre lucky. im a regular commuter and it is becoming a nightmare for work, we need our old early morning slots back.....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

I can't seem to find the old thread. Has it been moved to another forum?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I can't seem to find the old thread. Has it been moved to another forum?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056563494&page=50

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

ctlsleh wrote: »
    when are we going to get an early morning SNN-LHR flight back, this 8:45 flight is a disaster, you cant make it to London before 11:00 now if youre lucky. im a regular commuter and it is becoming a nightmare for work, we need our old early morning slots back.....!

I used to work in London 2 days a week with the old fights, it was easier to be in the centre of London before 9 than it was to be in Dublin before 9, they really messed up the whole commute when they moved those slots around, i guess other routes are still more profitable for that early morning flight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

One thing I never understood probably no one understood why they got rid of the LHR route. It must be having a set back on them. Obviously it's a problem for Shannon now because not that many would choose to arrive late in London. Do Ryanair have a early morning flight to Gatwick?

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    I used to work in London 2 days a week with the old fights, it was easier to be in the centre of London before 9 than it was to be in Dublin before 9, they really messed up the whole commute when they moved those slots around, i guess other routes are still more profitable for that early morning flight though.

I travel almost every week and am now forced to drive to Dublin as are many others that i also know that used to use the route all the time. this will have a significnat impact on the Mid-West business community. personally im writing a letter to Mr Mueller (as advised by the styaff at SNN). ill happy PM it to you or anyone so that you can use as a baseline to edit if that helps. i do believe that we need to lobby our politicians and AerLingus directly, as this has an economic impact to the region not to mention the extreme inconvenience to all of us regular commuters. The reality is that our LHR slots were given to Belfast where there is a lot of competition on the route. And thats the crux of our problem.......there is no competition, the result being high prices and a reduced service, they have even put a A319 on now instead of the A320 and leg room is terrible by comparison..........a lobby group would be great if anyone has had any previous experience of how that works.....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

The Ryanair flight departs at 06.30, its timetabled 1hr30 but is often quicker, so central London by 9AMish should be still possible ex. SNN?

My guess is the Aer Lingus flight is now targeted at connectivity, so to be in Germany for example for 9AM Tuesday, you leave SNN at 08.50 Monday, arrive in LHR at 10.20, allow approx. 3 hours transfer window so depart LHR around 1.30, arrive in Germany in the afternoon then get to your accomodation

Even if its an hour earlier there won't be many places in mainland Europe that you can get to before close of business same day as there is also the time difference to consider.

For international flights to middle east and asia then the 08.50 flight time is probably as good as the next.

relaxed wrote: »
    The Ryanair flight departs at 06.30, its timetabled 1hr30 but is often quicker, so central London by 9AMish should be still possible ex. SNN?

My guess is the Aer Lingus flight is now targeted at connectivity, so to be in Germany for example for 9AM Tuesday, you leave SNN at 08.50 Monday, arrive in LHR at 10.20, allow approx. 3 hours transfer window so depart LHR around 1.30, arrive in Germany in the afternoon then get to your accomodation

Even if its an hour earlier there won't be many places in mainland Europe that you can get to before close of business same day as there is also the time difference to consider.

For international flights to middle east and asia then the 08.50 flight time is probably as good as the next.

Well firstly the RyanAir flight is to Stanstead and i takes at least 1.5 hours to make it across london, its possible but its a nightmare journey, ive don it, its easier to drive to Dublin.....!

Secondly i travel to Europe all the time, the 7:20 from SNN arrived at 8:30 latest, it was always on time, sometimes early, compared to the current 8:50 departure time that arrives into London airspace at rush hour and can be circling for another 30mins sometimes only getting on the ground at 11AM. Compared to the original schedule, you arrived into LHR at 08:30 you could be on a flight to central europe by 10AM, arriving around 13:00 local time with still a half day of work and meetings ahead of you. thats almost as good as a direct frlight from Dublinor London to central europe and more than acceptable to any customer/partner/ employer and yourself in terms of time efficency......additionally you could go to London for a day, get a days work done and get back that evening. Cant do that anymore.......

So

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Publication of spring/summer government legislation programme 2014 (Government)

State Airports (Shannon Group) Bill – This Bill establishes a new State-owned commercial entity (Shannon Group plc) incorporating Shannon Airport Authority and Shannon Development and provides for the adoption by Ireland of the Cape Town insolvency regime in respect of aircraft assets.

So this legislation will now be dealt with . . .
    • at the earliest in the beginning of spring or
    • at the latest the end of the summer.
    See previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

See previous post.
    I would, but that's in the naughty thread.

• Advertisement

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Shannon Aerospace workers reject Labour Court recommendation over pension scheme (RTE)[/FONT]

Workers at aviation maintenance company Shannon Aerospace have overwhelmingly rejected a Labour Court recommendation aimed at resolving a dispute over the management's plans to close the defined benefit pension scheme.

The company had announced to staff that it would cease making contributions to the pension scheme, which is solvent, from 3 February.

Shannon Aerospace management had accepted the recommendation. However, it has emerged this evening that 92% of staff voted to reject the recommendation.

The turnout was around 88%.

A spokesperson for Shannon Aerospace said the board would be considering the ballot result over the weekend.

She said it is still very open to negotiations and want to talk to the unions.

The Labour Court recommended that both sides should maintain the status quo for two months to allow for negotiations.
    Its interesting to note that Lufthansa (Shannon Aerospace's owner) has a €4.7 Billion pension deficit liability for its 117.000 workforce.

Which works out about 2/3 of its total market value (September 2013). :eek:

A ticking time bomb one german newspaper called it.

On top of that, budget airlines like Ryanair have eaten into their market share of the European routes big time.

Also their lucrative long haul routes is under great pressure from state funded airlines like Emirates, Turkish Airlines.

They are in the process of replacing Lufthansa airline with their own budget airline germanwings for their short haul routes.

Lufthansa has introduced an efficiency programme “Score” to every division of its concern and is radically cutting costs and jobs right across the board.

I hope Shannon Aerospace and Lufthansa Technik Turbine Shannon did well in that efficiency programme “Score” because they would play an important role in Shannon Airport's plan for an International Aviation Services Centre.

There is never a dull Moment at Shannon.

ITLG Young Innovators Conference at Shannon Airport :cool:

A big turnout yesterday, 700 secondary students in all took part.

The country could certainly do with a few more smart kids like the Collision brothers.

941495_580602388695922_891150605_n.jpg

RYANAIR has announced a new route from Shannon to Poitiers in France, which will operate twice weekly from the start of April. :)

The low cost airline, which previously announced eight new routes from the airport in October last year, said it was “celebrating” the announcement of the new Shannon route by releasing 100,000 seats on sale at prices from just €17.99 for travel in February and March, which are available for booking until midnight this Thursday.

See Limerick Leader

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

RYANAIR has announced a new route from Shannon to Poitiers in France, which will operate twice weekly from the start of April. :)

The low cost airline, which previously announced eight new routes from the airport in October last year, said it was “celebrating” the announcement of the new Shannon route by releasing 100,000 seats on sale at prices from just €17.99 for travel in February and March, which are available for booking until midnight this Thursday.

See Limerick Leader

More great news! Shaping up to be a good year for SNN!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭highlydebased

What they didn't quite say is that that new route replaces Shannon-Nantes

You are right, it looks like a switch! :(

Shannon Airport is still showing Ryanair as one of two operators for Nantes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Midnight Shadow

ITLG Young Innovators Conference at Shannon Airport :cool:

A big turnout yesterday, 700 secondary students in all took part.

The country could certainly do with a few more smart kids like the Collision brothers.

941495_580602388695922_891150605_n.jpg
    I was involved in yesterdays event as a mentor to students ...the students really got engaged in the day....great day! It gives great hope in future with students like these people coming through. Also..the departure's area was a great space for this event...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Awwwwfook

FFS, we only booked flights to Nantes on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I travel almost every week and am now forced to drive to Dublin as are many others that i also know that used to use the route all the time. this will have a significnat impact on the Mid-West business community. personally im writing a letter to Mr Mueller (as advised by the styaff at SNN). ill happy PM it to you or anyone so that you can use as a baseline to edit if that helps. i do believe that we need to lobby our politicians and AerLingus directly, as this has an economic impact to the region not to mention the extreme inconvenience to all of us regular commuters. The reality is that our LHR slots were given to Belfast where there is a lot of competition on the route. And thats the crux of our problem.......there is no competition, the result being high prices and a reduced service, they have even put a A319 on now instead of the A320 and leg room is terrible by comparison..........a lobby group would be great if anyone has had any previous experience of how that works.....!

Lobbying politions is useless and Aer Lingus make decisions based on commerical reaossns and not because of TD's or to please passengers. It's about profit. Once EI is sold off politions will have zero say although they have next to no infulance now. EI could easily close the route in a few years and there is nothing anybody could do about it. The capacity reduciton is because demad elasewhere is higher for the 320.

It's not as if ther is no early flights into London from Shannon.

What noncense the impact on the region, just about every little chagne that isn't in SNN favour has an "impact" on the region, utter tripe and noncese. There is no impact you are not being foreced to fly to Dublin, you just don't want to drive in London.

Provide the facts about the "impact" and don't confuse it with the "convieance" of yourself not having to travel to Dublin. If business is based a special flight time then I don't hold much hope for its success in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Lobbying politions is useless and Aer Lingus make decisions based on commerical reaossns and not because of TD's or to please passengers. It's about profit. Once EI is sold off politions will have zero say although they have next to no infulance now. EI could easily close the route in a few years and there is nothing anybody could do about it. The capacity reduciton is because demad elasewhere is higher for the 320.

It's not as if ther is no early flights into London from Shannon.

What noncense the impact on the region, just about every little chagne that isn't in SNN favour has an "impact" on the region, utter tripe and noncese. There is no impact you are not being foreced to fly to Dublin, you just don't want to drive in London.

Provide the facts about the "impact" and don't confuse it with the "convieance" of yourself not having to travel to Dublin. If business is based a special flight time then I don't hold much hope for its success in the future.

The Ryanair flight leaves 50 minutes earlier than the old Aer Lingus flight, and Stansted express takes about 30 minutes longer than the Heathrow express, so you can still be in London around the same time as Aer Lingus would have gotten you there.

If you are in Stansted by 8am with Ryanair there are plenty of European cities served if you want to connect to Europe to be at work somewhere in the afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 flipper2009

How disappointing that the Shannon-Nantes route is gone. It used to be pretty full I thought.

And I have already booked my flights at Easter :(

How disappointing that the Shannon-Nantes route is gone. It used to be pretty full I thought.

And I have already booked my flights at Easter :(
    If its any consolation to you, Poitiers Airport is 220 Km south of Nantes Airport.

Alternatively a Shannon-Nantes charter service operates in the summer season too.

US connections to West and South significantly enhanced as daily, year-round Boston-Shannon service launched (Shannon Airport)

Today’s Boston flight was another first at Shannon as it marked Aer Lingus’ inaugural commercial transatlantic flight with the Boeing B757 aircraft. The airline will base two 757s at Shannon, replacing a single Airbus A330. The increased frequency also significantly enhances Shannon connectivity to almost 40 cities in North America through Aer Lingus’ partner airline, Jetblue Airways, allowing passengers to connect seamlessly to cities such as Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Seattle, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Fort Lauderdale, Phoenix, Washington, Orlando and Dallas.

Image by Brian Buckley.

12260161256_49e6d2877b_c.jpg

If its any consolation to you, Poitiers Airport is 220 Km south of Nantes Airport.

It's not much consolation to me. Poitiers is a small town with no airport transport to the train station and no inter city buses. Some of the trains between Nantes and Poitiers pass through Paris and cost €120 one way.

Speaking to some french people who regularly use this flight - they wouldn't dream of using Shannon Poitiers as it's inaccessible to most cities.

Strange decision for Ryanair to make to switch Nantes with Poitiers :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Dublin is only 222km east of Shannon so there would be no savings at either end.
    Strange decision for Ryanair to make to switch Nantes with Poitiers confused.png

So sort of subsidy from France is either up or being offered from Poitiers. Any route move will be of benefit to FR over the consumer ever if Nantes was actually making money.

@flipper2009: If its any consolation to you, Poitiers Airport is 220 Km south of Nantes Airport.
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Dublin is only 222km east of Shannon so there would be no savings at either end.
    Without knowing flipper2009’s final destination in France or his residence in Ireland, how can you then say with such certainty that there would be no savings at either end? :confused:

Clareman wrote: »
    I travel almost every week and am now forced to drive to Dublin as are many others that i also know that used to use the route all the time. this will have a significnat impact on the Mid-West business community. personally im writing a letter to Mr Mueller (as advised by the styaff at SNN). ill happy PM it to you or anyone so that you can use as a baseline to edit if that helps. i do believe that we need to lobby our politicians and AerLingus directly, as this has an economic impact to the region not to mention the extreme inconvenience to all of us regular commuters.
    My brother use to give single day lectures in London some years back.

The present 08:50 departure time to Heathrow would have made those day lectures unworkable for him, unless of course he travelled the night before along with the additional hotel costs.

Driving to Dublin would have added another 4-5 hours to his working day.

Did you hear anything from the good people at Aer Lingus?

Anybody who works for a living and needs an earlier flight to Heathrow should lobby the Limerick, Shannon, Ennis and Galway Chambers of Commerce.

Without knowing flipper2009’s final destination in France or his residence in Ireland, how can you then say with such certainty that there would be no savings at either end? :confused:

Flipper will be getting the bus to Dublin to take Ryanair or Flybe to Nantes on a regular basis and will be paying a €15 bus fare instead of a €100 train fare from Poitiers :P

Makes sense if Nantes itself, is your final destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Awwwwfook

Flipper will be getting the bus to Dublin to take Ryanair or Flybe to Nantes on a regular basis and will be paying a €15 bus fare instead of a €100 train fare from Poitiers :P

Got notification today that the flights I changed from shannon to nantes to go dublin to nantes have now been cancelled. Is there another airline that flys into nantes?

Advertisement