Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

kilkee bay hotel

• 14-02-2013 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Up for auction starting at around €300k, what do people think it will sell for?

I suppose outside of July and August it will be empty most nights except a few weekends.

Also for auction the Ashford in Ennis starting at about €200k+, and the Shannon Shamrock in bunratty is for sale, no idea what it's going for.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

If you gave any of the 3 to me for free I'd still say no!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Palmach

Up for auction starting at around €300k, what do people think it will sell for?

I suppose outside of July and August it will be empty most nights except a few weekends.

Also for auction the Ashford in Ennis starting at about €200k+, and the Shannon Shamrock in bunratty is for sale, no idea what it's going for.

Well run hotels in Kilkee would be full most of the year. Note I said well run. Too many people think they can run a hotel and end up running the place into the ground. The Kilkee Bay has massive potential but needs investment and knowledge both of which are in short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Ocean Cove would have better potential than the Kilkee Bay because of it's location. I'm surprised it's not for sale yet.

finbarrk wrote: »
    The Ocean Cove would have better potential than the Kilkee Bay because of it's location. I'm surprised it's not for sale yet.

It is for sale. They will listen to offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

I suppose it's like a lot of places around the country, if you had your own cash to pay for it and you were prepared to work it yourself you might make a go of it, but if you were saddled with a mortgage then it's probably not that viable.

The ocean cove would be a better prospect though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Here are the Allsop links for both properties, hopefully they can be brought back to former glories with owners who know the hotel business.

KilkeeBay

Ashford Court

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

even if you had the cash i wonder where you would get an engineer to sign it( KB) over with the foundations sinking into the ground

even if you had the cash i wonder where you would get an engineer to sign it( KB) over with the foundations sinking into the ground

That was the cinema next door. Which is now a swimming pool. The hotel is on firmer ground. However if it is not sold within a short space of time it will become derelict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Radio5

I never stayed there but have to say I enjoyed many meals in the Ashford Court. It would be interesting to see if someone could make a go of it again. I think Ennis should able to support a medium sized centrally located hotel like that and with a decent restaurant, you could do well during the week. I suppose the Rowan Tree has taken a lot of that market though. And the costs, like rates, electricity etc haven't gone down since it closed.

Well today is the big day, anybody hear how the auction went?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well today is the big day, anybody hear how the auction went?

Interested in hearing how a few properties sold as well.
    They do have a history of auctions on their site but it's probably not updated for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Ashford Court sold for €305,000 (reserve €215,000).

muggles wrote: »
    The place in kilkee went for 315.

muggles wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lobby Con Shine

kippy wrote: »

No it didn't.

It didn't sell.

No it didn't.

It didn't sell.
    Sorry, must have been a second place I spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

kippy wrote: »

Not sold. reserve is still €315k
    Offer 300k in a few weeks time and your hand will be bitten off, especially now that rumours of dodgy foundations are doing the rounds....

Any word on who bought the Ashford Court? It would be good to see it re-opening in some fashion.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Any word on who bought the Ashford Court? It would be good to see it re-opening in some fashion.

Probably some guy that did'nt buy 'blue chip bank shares' a few years ago when everyone laughed at him/her for being 'too conservative'
    look who's laughing now...:D

washman3 wrote: »
    Probably some guy that did'nt buy 'blue chip bank shares' a few years ago when everyone laughed at him/her for being 'too conservative'
    look who's laughing now...:D

Close enough guess. Seems both hotels have been bought by a man who made a fortune by selling some land during the boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The Irish Independent

Rich farmer (74) snaps up two hotels for €625k

A 74-year-old multi-millionaire bachelor farmer has entered the hotel business after buying two hotels for a combined €625,000...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rich-farmer-74-snaps-up-two-hotels-for-625k-29156798.html

Should be interesting to watch what transpires!

Good man JJ!

Radio5 wrote: »
    Close enough guess. Seems both hotels have been bought by a man who made a fortune by selling some land during the boom.

I was only guessing but fair play to him anyway. delighted for him. think he wont be a bachelor for long more now.!!
    At least he has something to show for his cash now, unlike a bunch of know-alls who invested in bank shares.:)
    Actually think i might know the man. Ennis bypass maybe.??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

washman3 wrote: »
    Actually think i might know the man. Ennis bypass maybe.??
    You might have met him on the canvas trail. JJ flirted with the notion of becoming a politician at one time. He ran in four local elections and was a candidate in the last General Election.

http://electionsireland.org/candidate.cfm?ID=5549

I hope his venture into the hospitality industry goes very well. I have to say that I admire his energy and enthusiasm, it is a hell of a project to take on at any age but he is 74 :eek: I hope he surrounds himself with experienced people who will be able to support him in his endeavours.

Good luck to him :)

Good luck to him, theres a saying the best way to be a millionaire is to start off as a billionaire and buy and airline.

I guess the same phrase could attach to hotels.

Anyway at least the funds will be behind him to keep them open and not be constantly going bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It's mad to think you could buy that much building for 300k. Plenty of other things it could be.

A heap of scaffolding has gone up all along the front of the Kilkee Bay. Some signs of work starting there which is good to see.

A bit of employment will be created there anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 23 Baba P

Is this place open? Phone remains unanswered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭dmc17

Baba P wrote: »
    Is this place open? Phone remains unanswered.

It should be. It was refurbished and had a re-opening night last summer.

Advertisement