Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish rebel music

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

FearDark wrote: »
    In fairness. Its awful shíte.

In Fairness its more WOLF than TONE.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

In Fairness its more WOLF than TONE.
    A group who made a complete balls of the Sash. A bunch of idiots to be honest. Heard more musical ability from a 10 year old with a piccolo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Beir Bua

Big fan of rebel music here, spent quite a few fantastic nights in the pub with everyone belting out songs, nothing quite like it. It's a fantastic genre of music, here are some of my favorites:

One of my favorite versions of a classic.

A very haunting and poignant song, again by the Long Kesh ramblers.

The above is a great song, it's about the Price sisters. (Marian is yet again suffering in a British gaol this Christmas, she has spent months in solitary confinement) Actually I think that may not be the Wolfe Tones preforming in that video, any thoughts?

Probably the definitive rebel song. (Voted the Worlds Greatest Song on the BBC. :D )

Yet another great song, not the greatest version musically, but a great one because of it's background, this was sung by P.O.Ws in the Long Kesh concentration camp (how the Brit secretary of state described it) and recorded on smuggled equipment.

The ignorant label the Wolfe Tones as untalented, not so, they were very talented performers and writers with a huge amount of great songs about all eras of Irish history, serious songs, sad songs, fun songs, they have them all.

A great song preformed and written by Irish legend Bik McFarlane. Not the clearest version of this song out there, but again it's the history around this recording which makes an already poignant song more so. This version was secretly recorded in the H-Blocks under the noses of the screws in 1990 while Bik was imprisoned there. Marcella was Bobby Sands' sisters name, as well as his "pen name" while he was in jail. The song is about the ten brave men who gave their lives on hungerstrike.

Another great song from the Wolfe Tones about the Tan War.

One of my personal favorites, it's about the Irish Citizens Army, Jim Larkin, James Connolly, the lockout (And Dublin’s broken union men die first on Flanders fields) and the 1916 rising.

Brilliant thread OP, I could spend all day listening to and posting songs, there are so many terrific examples.

During the 80s rebel music was pretty much banned from the airwaves, that is why you generally don't hear it on the radio, that and radio shows are obsessed with playing chart rubbish, you don't hear many other genres of music on the radio nowadays unfortunately, classic rock or metal is hard to come by also.

Rebel music remains very popular, expect its popularity to increase in the years coming up to 2016.

BB

EDIT:

Forgot this one, always makes me laugh! Its great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Mixed bag but it's not popular mostly because people aren't into tunes about how awesome the IRA are/were.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Luke kelly has one o the finest voices ever produced in this country, although his material is mostly british, so i guess he doesn't count!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I agree with others about the likes of the Dubliners with Luke Kelly, Ronny Drew (The Auld Alarm Clock), also Liam Clancy and Christy Moore who are absolutely class singers. But a rebel song that is subtle with splendid instrumentation but uses just enough venom to chill the bones must be Planxtys Follow Me Up To Carlow.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

nothing like rebel music but of course its not musch loved by the jackeens who if it was left to them we would still be under british rule and that is a simple fact.

I'm a "jackeen"......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Yes, I listen to rebel music now and again. Much rather it than Jedward, Justin Beiber or whatever it is that is passed off as music today.

Yes. Of course. Because there's only 2 types of music in the world. Irish rebel songs and Justin beiber

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Admittedly, 'Rock On Rockall' has a very hollow ring to it nowadays. Besides,

teaching of history dying out in the schools so..

And ppl no longer have these attitudes (only when not sober).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Luke kelly has one o the finest voices ever produced in this country, although his material is mostly british, so i guess he doesn't count!!

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Shure I've listened to it down thru the years.

It's alright, has a good singsong value in some pubs.

It has no real value nowadays, in real terms IMHO.

Okay for IRA apologists & diehard FF/Dev types.

I've no real time for it & the backward folk that seem to get into a foaming lather whenever it's played.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 the-dude

Just watching Luke Kelly on tg4 now. Wow.I wouldnt mind hearing more of him on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Amounts to a flat 4/4 in this day n age.. Brought to the fore in case yer really simple.. musically illiterate. poor timekeeper. Couple o chipmunks thrown into the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

Here's a classic from the old days.
    Goes to show good music transcends all borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

K-9 wrote: »
    Moving Hearts had some good stuff. ;)

and Planxty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Yes, I listen to rebel music now and again. Much rather it than Jedward, Justin Beiber or whatever it is that is passed off as music today.

Every time I hear stuff like that, I cringe. There's plenty of great music still being made today; people who complain about how everything these days is shíte (as if Jedward and Justin Bieber were the only people making music anymore :rolleyes:) are just too lazy to go and look for it.

Take off the rose tinted glasses and look somewhere other than Chart Show TV. You'll be a lot better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

BULLER wrote: »
    Because its awful music maybe?!
    Maybe not, when you were still p1ssing in your pants Galleon were playing music. They used to sing great rebel songs. Miles better than the x factor sh1te you hear nowadays ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ODwyersGolf

The above is one of my favourite "rebel" songs. I understand why people might not want to listen to them or why it might not be to everyone's taste but personally I think that they're better than some of the "pop" music that's out nowadays. I wouldn't be one of the "up da ra" brigade, I just like the music.

Here's one of my favourite Wolfe Tones songs:
    Not really a "rebel" song I suppose but it's a very good song.

Here's a great song too:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Every time I hear stuff like that, I cringe. There's plenty of great music still being made today; people who complain about how everything these days is shíte (as if Jedward and Justin Bieber were the only people making music anymore :rolleyes:) are just too lazy to go and look for it.

Yeah, but why bother doing that when you can make a lazy generalisation and feel smug while doing so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I'd listen to a fair bit of trad and some "rebel songs" but ****e like the wolfe tones goes overboard and i find it hard to listen to without cringing. snipers promise indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

There is no doubt rebel music can be a powerful sound. We are a nation who have always been known for our musical abilities and I think it is somewhat unique that the feelings and emotions of the people of those times have been so well captured in such a collection of songs.
    I don't have a huge collection of rebel songs and certainly don't listen to it on a regular basis but give me a song from our history any day over most of the ****e that makes the charts these days.

Unfortunately there are those who are still 'fighting the cause' but that's a separate issue.

I'll throw this in. Another greats song that captures the emotions of a time past.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Ah all this rebel music s**t , who cares a **** load of irish are mad to get out of this depressing **** hole (me included and i wont miss ireland or any irish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

maxfresh wrote: »
    Ah all this rebel music s**t , who cares a **** load of irish are mad to get out of this depressing **** hole (me included and i wont miss ireland or any irish)
    jaysus you take music really seriously if its going to make you miss nobody. Enjoy your new life , adios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I love rebel songs, and I love the stories they tell.

They're not all about killing the Brits, some are very human - like the one above about Aidan MacAnespie, or The Ballad of Joe McDonald.. And one of my favourites - A Snipers Promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Beir Bua

seanybiker wrote: »
    jaysus you take music really seriously if its going to make you miss nobody. Enjoy your new life , adios.
    Sounds like he had a family related disaster of a christmas day!!!

BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Care to clarify what you mean by this? I take it you are referring to THE Luke Kelly

Without doubt my favourite in this genre is the foggy dwe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

dont mind that oul cabaret circuit crap people are posting, go right for the real stuff.

Advertisement