Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi 97 a4 tdi

• 05-08-2011 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of buying one of these as a run around. Can get one for around 1200 and the 01 are around 3k. Any opinions on the different cars. Both have around 180 k and are in pretty good condition.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

prepare for mammoth rework and repairs on a diesel audi that old

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

prepare for mammoth rework and repairs on a diesel audi that old

Why?How come?

14 year old diesel

helloooooo!

I am not a total motor head but know enough that even a 5/6 year old diesel can cause problems, let alone one 14 years old.

I wouldnt pay a grand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

14 year old diesel

helloooooo!

I am not a total motor head but know enough that even a 5/6 year old diesel can cause problems, let alone one 14 years old.

I wouldnt pay a grand for it.

Funny you should mention that, I had a few diesels pre 00 and I knew of a few others who had them with 400 k miles on them , without major problems. I know of quite a few who have had problems with 03//04/ etc :confused::confused:
    Just wondering how those older Audis were compared to the newer ones:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't be that worried about A 97 giving hassle. As long as its got a few services along the way and it drives ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

shawnee wrote: »
    Was thinking of buying one of these as a run around. Can get one for around 1200 and the 01 are around 3k. Any opinions on the different cars. Both have around 180 k and are in pretty good condition.;)

Thats too much, you would have been paying 3k for an 01 around 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Magown3

I'm not sure x_in_the_city knows what he's talking about!

The vag 1.9 tdi engine is known to be a very reliable engine and can do mammoth miles if it has been serviced with fresh oil regularly.

On the other hand tho, the rest of the car might need more attention than the engine. I'm talking suspension links/bushings, shocks. If these have been replaced recently already then you're on to a winner.

I have a 1997 Audi A4 1.9 TDI Quattro. I'll not say it's perfect as it does need a bit of attention every now and again, but nothing that has cost me more then a few quid to sort out!

My advice is to test drive it, listen out for knocks or rattles when going over potholes etc. and check service history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Thats too much, you would have been paying 3k for an 01 around 3 years ago.
    'felt-mania hadn't reached epidemic proportions at that stage tho!

14 year old diesel

helloooooo!

I would of never guessed :rolleyes: :D

Has passed nct in last month , so should be pretty okay.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

work away and by the 14 year old audi so, can gurantee you it wont be just a grand you will be spending on it to keep it going.. and no, its not worth the asking price.

why would anyone in this day and age buy a 14 year old car..wtf

there are cars screaming out to be bought now all over the country.

even if the bomb proof audi has a good engine i very much doubt the same could be said for the rest of the car.

rover james, have you some sorta of a hidden agenda against me... seems so its just funny looking at your 'likes this' to other people comments. :rolleyes:

Has passed nct in last month , so should be pretty okay.:rolleyes:

post up pics then, a fresh nct puts a different light on things but its still too old for my liking.

rover james, have you some sorta of a hidden agenda against me... seems so its just funny looking at your 'likes this' to other people comments. :rolleyes:

Nope, if I had I'd have thanked a lot more than just the two posts I did thank to be honest, one of them I thanked because it was a rather decent post (Magown 3's post) that went into the pros and cons.

I thanked TestTransmissions one because I found it funny.

I didn't thank the other 3 or 4 posts that suggested you didn't know what you were on about :)

even if the bomb proof audi has a good engine i very much doubt the same could be said for the rest of the car.

I bought a 11 year old car there 3 months ago.I can guarantee you it's in a lot better nick than alot of newer cars out there.Irish people are too hung up on the reg plate.Service history and how the car has been maintained is much more important in my opinion

work away and by the 14 year old audi so, can gurantee you it wont be just a grand you will be spending on it to keep it going.. and no, its not worth the asking price.

Interesting view point , just out of curiousity what would you buy if you wanted to spend around a grand on a diesel car ??? ( and yes I do know that there are loads of cars screaming to be bought , not that many mind you for a grand with two years nct) but enlighten us culchies :D:p

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Magown3

Oh, and mine has 175k on it, not quite the 180k that the OP is lookin at but I reckon it'll get there easily enough in a few months.

I bought it a year ago this month and have done 20k in it. It's never let me down but I did have to replace the oil cooler which was a dirty bastid of a job in the snow last December.

Other things I have done to it are:
    1x Rear wheel bearing €60ish
    2x rear shocks €240
    4x springs €160
    2x tie rod ends €50ish, can't remember
    2x tyres €85 ea.

It's a grand car but could do with a bit more oomph. I'd say it's far from t's original 110bhp :D

Interesting view point , just out of curiousity what would you buy if you wanted to spend around a grand on a diesel car ??? ( and yes I do know that there are loads of cars screaming to be bought , not that many mind you for a grand with two years nct) but enlighten us culchies :D:p

for a grand on a diesel car, i could just go into spar, buy autotrader go to the bargain basement and pick any diesel car at random.

tbh, any diesel car for a grand is hardly going to set the world on fire.

I am looking at potential cars, a diesel accord in the 07/08 era and also a TSI golf.. as i am told that 40mpg is the way to go now and 2 litre+ petrols are dead end material :(

was looking at a 2.4 accord type s, as i liked its rarity and bomb proof'ness but not sure i am keen on a marriage also to it.

what a poster said on old cars being just as good as newer cars is true enough as most people in ireland treat cars like dog s.it, sadly.

i have seen some (old!) cars in the uk almost pristine.. full service history, floor mats.. the works.

makes irish cars for sale terribly sad.

Advertisement