Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

A random waffle thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wow, in all my years going past there I have to admit to not noticing that it was a mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Clareman wrote: »
    Wow, in all my years going past there I have to admit to not noticing that it was a mirror
    lol :D

That mirror holds alot of memories for me, I remember when us Coláiste girls used to check ourselves out in the mirror before meeting the lads from Flannans and Rice College at lunchtime or after school. If only that mirror could talk ............ :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,358 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€3.90 to go 3 and a half miles from Shannon to Bunratty on the bus today.

Well, twice that because there were two of us.

Is this the normal fare? How much to go to limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

That's a bit steep, for an extra €2 you could have got a cab from your own door to the pub door.

• Advertisement

Indeed, that's what I did last night (in reverse order)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 baitdigger

can't say how badly I miss Clare, even though I am not a native I lived on the border of galway and clare for the last eight years but had to return to the uk to look after the witch(mother-in-law) and to work. Miss the craic and the life.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Was walking around the Skycourt (Shannon) today and noticed that Easons are opening a store there in the Spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Carazy wrote: »
    Was walking around the Skycourt (Shannon) today and noticed that Easons are opening a store there in the Spring.

Mcloughneys have taken the franchise and are relocating into dressco's unit.

The Dagda wrote: »
    Mcloughneys have taken the franchise and are relocating into dressco's unit.

Dressco is smaller or the same size as their current shop, they must be extending in some direction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Dressco is smaller or the same size as their current shop, they must be extending in some direction

They're keeping their existing adjacent book/card shop and combining the two units into one larger unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Hi All

Just thought I'd post to say due my position/career I've been moved to another location thus I shall be leaving this beautiful county sniff sniff! My intention is to move abroad at some point in the next year or so but I'd always assume I'd be here until then so I'm a tad bit saddened its sooner rather then later!

I am the type of person that is always seeking the next challenge & actively seeks change when I first moved to Clare it was for the purpose of my career but overtime I can honestly say that Ennis, Clare became what I considered home. I have met & made some wonderful friends here & love all of what this county has to offer! Its beauty, its people.

Clare will truly always hold a very special place in my heart!

Happy New Year All! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭dohboy

Anyone remember the fire siren in the Fair Green that used to go off in the 80s like a bomb raid was happening? Can someone explain what exactly that was about? Just a random memory that popped into my head...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

dohboy wrote: »
    Anyone remember the fire siren in the Fair Green that used to go off in the 80s like a bomb raid was happening? Can someone explain what exactly that was about? Just a random memory that popped into my head...

That was before mobile phones/pagers and all firemen had to live within earshot of that, as soon as they heard it they had to go to the station on a call out.

Anyone remember the adverts for minicall pagers? 'Get a life, get a mini-call' :pac::pac::pac::pac:

minicall_141293a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Not really. My dad got the blue one from work that he'd no use for so he gave it to me. None of the kids in school seemed impressed I had a beeper so I stopped carrying it about fairly shortly after.

I went through an awful amount of those pagers down through the years being on call and stuff, pain in the h0le but it was a great way too massage your wages each month by generating a few false pages which meant some additional OT. That all changed when mobiles came in (anyone remember 088?) and you were rang.

Clareman wrote: »
    That was before mobile phones/pagers and all firemen had to live within earshot of that, as soon as they heard it they had to go to the station on a call out.

All the firemen had to live in earshot? That's mad. Tbf you could hear it a good bit away. Was it there for years?

It could be heard all over town so they wouldn't have had any issues getting housing. I think fire tenders still need to live within a certain distance of the fire station.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    It could be heard all over town so they wouldn't have had any issues getting housing. I think fire tenders still need to live within a certain distance of the fire station.

Most on-call contracts would have a maximum response time written into them now, so you could live wherever you want you'd just have to get to the station at a certain time.

• Advertisement

Any old hobos live up the Tracks anymore? What happened Blackjack, that old degenerate in a donkey jacket who used to scare kids back in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

dohboy wrote: »
    Any old hobos live up the Tracks anymore? What happened Blackjack, that old degenerate in a donkey jacket who used to scare kids back in the day?

The only hobos I see around Ennis these days are the two Eastern European lads that go around togeter, there is a third lad hanging around with them now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

well fair play to yee!:)
    im in salthill looking out my window across the ocean at yee all there in the banner county! yee seem delighted with yourselves!:D
    I know this is from last year but it reminded me of something a friend of mine said when we were visiting a another friend who lived in West Galway. 'Sure if you can't live in the best county in Ireland you might as well be able to look out at it'! He's no longer with us unfortunately so that was a nice little piece of nostalgia aroused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Carazy wrote: »
    The only hobos I see around Ennis these days are the two Eastern European lads that go around togeter, there is a third lad hanging around with them now too.

You mean these two -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055791214

Yeah, they have appeared to have gained a third member to their group now.

I want to do a hike up the Clare Hills in the next week. Any info on where the start of the trail is?

Anyone on boards who have done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I want to do a hike up the Clare Hills in the next week. Any info on where the start of the trail is?
    The bottom:p

MyKeyG wrote: »
    The bottom:p
    <Mod snip> bottom? Well I suppose its a start? (Come on)Any better suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 toughtofind

<Mod snip>bottom? Well I suppose its a start? (Come on)Any better suggestions?

http://www.irishtrails.ie/trails.aspx?c=Clare

Okay, I know this is really random but I was having a bad day today until I saw this clip and it really cheered me up. I think I'll have to watch the sports news more often from now on :D

Lennon is so funny and good humoured throughout :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/video-watch-celtic-boss-neil-1549349

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

Was in Ennis for the weekend and came across Jimmey Brohans hardware, what a great shop and to listen to Jimmey and Kevin (new owener I'm told) was a pure pleasure . The people of Ennis are lucky to have such a good shop.

Advertisement