Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeview / similar available

• 21-11-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I just fibre Vodafone the other day , Internet only. I was just reading through the brochure I am interested in their home view camera they offer.
    It seems for 7 euro a month , and it will send you alerts to an app on sensing movement. I'm thinking it might be handy to have set up in the house for example if alarm went off I could check and see if anything unusual. I'm thinking of leaving it in kitchen discreetly placed. Indeed as childminder is around occasionally I think it could be a good safeguard.

You are snookered into 12 month contract though , the camera is only 60 euro and apparently are reasonable quality.

Before I go for this I just wonder is there something similar you could buy that would work on wifi and would send alerts on movement etc , camera seems very cheap , any advice good or bad would be appreciated in relation to hone view particularly

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

:eek: Why would you pay a subscription for this. Most decent CCTV cameras /DVRs would be capable of doing this in one form or another for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Thks for quick reply koolkid. Could I seek your advice?
    I really only want a small discreet unit. I want to place it up over kitchen presses facing into the kitchen.

Basically if I got a call from sim dialler of an alarm event I would be able to use smart phone to look into kitchen from wherever I am. Nighttime or darkness would be an issue but I don't really want it noticed , with infrared light it would be too obvious , lastly if it could record events either flash card / iCloud or something (simple ish) that would be fab.

I can get power to it , was hoping it could use wifi , as Vodafone modem which is very strong is in hall and kitchen press would be 25/30 feet from hall!

Sorry for long reply , if you happened to know of something suitable and could put a link here I would be grateful.

I know you are very knowledgable in these matters just looking through your replies on boards...thank you

Was googling what I'm looking for. I see a video on you tube showing the set of a camera called- home monitor- it is exactly what I'm looking for , but it seems to send videos to a website , free for 7 days ?! To view / I would prefer if videos were just emailed where I could keep record myself.

The only problem I see really is that the camera seemed to have to be plugged into router with a network cable , I want it to work on wifi only.

Anyone used this or know of it ? Is it reliable

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A cheap DVR & camera on top of the press would be the simple solution. You could use a WiFi adapter to connect to your home network & get emails or push notifications to your app. Spend the money on the equipment instead of subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm thinking of leaving it in kitchen discreetly placed.
    Consider "in plain view". A search ebay for "wireless clock camera" got me these;

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Wall-Clock-Hidden-Camera-Table-Spy-DVR-Nanny-PIR-Motion-Detection-Wireless-HD-/291211293025

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Spy-Alarm-Clock-Wireless-Wi-Fi-Camera-Video-Hidden-Surveillance-for-Android-/291164530741

From my understanding, they connect to your wifi, and you log onto the camera from your phone or your computer via said wifi. If using wifi, ensure it's not called "camera" and has a strong WPA password of at least 8 characters and a special character or four (@?/£$*) to ensure someone doesn't guess it.

• Advertisement

to be honest I got china stuff like that before wasnt happy with it but thks for reply tho

that is good advice thks - I dont mind spending few bob for a reasonable one would you recommend any in particular please

to koolkid-

Depends on your budget. Do you have a figure in mind.?

im trying to decide inside or out! I like the ycam bullet for maybe the front of house and road outside.
    I have a gaurdcam covering back - have power at attic ideally fitted under eaves facing driveway- road - small neat with Email alert - would be within wifi range too - koolkid - for this type set up thinking 200 -250 ish thank you

• Advertisement

any recommendations koolkid (link?)

KoolKid wrote:
    Depends on your budget. Do you have a figure in mind.?

any links?!

Any of the suppliers listed in the sticky would have devices to suit most budgets.
    Do you have any amount or limit in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭altor

for this type set up thinking 200 -250 ish thank you

With a budget this low dont expect top of the range equipment.
    The likes of Hik Vision is what I would recommend. They even have a cheaper version LTS. Have a google to get prices on line for this equipment.

I must say altor ur the best here for advice! always so informative. thks- I can spend a bit more if it was reliable would you be able to put link here? can it be installed handy enough- cheers
    paddy

HD WiFi Home Camera - View on your iPhone or Android Device

€195.00 Ex VAT€239.85 Inc VA

like this altor from cctv shop ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭altor

I must say altor ur the best here for advice! always so informative. thks- I can spend a bit more if it was reliable would you be able to put link here? can it be installed handy enough- cheers
    paddy

Here is the link to the site to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭paudie2005

Was googling what I'm looking for. I see a video on you tube showing the set of a camera called- home monitor- it is exactly what I'm looking for , but it seems to send videos to a website , free for 7 days ?! To view / I would prefer if videos were just emailed where I could keep record myself.

The only problem I see really is that the camera seemed to have to be plugged into router with a network cable , I want it to work on wifi only.

Anyone used this or know of it ? Is it reliable

I have this one, so far so good. I've an internal camera and have the external one on the way. Home monitor suggest cameras are set up with 5 metres of the router. The only time you need to physically connect to the router is during set up, other than that its wireless. The quality and sound of the picture is good and set up took me about 30 minutes. If you are buying beware as there seems to be a difference in the standard 'ycam' camera and the 'home monitor' cloud bases recording camera

Wow which camer is this paudie please
    Thks

Paddy

Wow which camer is this paudie please
    Thks

Paddy

It's these two paddy:
    indoor:
    http://www.homemonitor.me/cameras/homemonitor-hd/
    outdoor:
    http://www.homemonitor.me/cameras/homemonitor-hd-pro/

• Advertisement

thks a mill P. I wondered if I ordered one the outdoor im going for if I had problems in set up could I pm you for advice ? thks paddy

thks a mill P. I wondered if I ordered one the outdoor im going for if I had problems in set up could I pm you for advice ? thks paddy

yeah no bother, should be straight forward to setup

thks a lot

Advertisement