Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Soccer

• 09-11-2014 6:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi There

I have received a two week ban from Soccer which is unwarranted. I made a series of posts which are critical of Manchester United, particularly around the fact that getting three points at home to Palace is being feted.

I am of the view that Louis Van Gaal's position should be under threat given that he's suffered the worst start to a season for a United manager since 1986. And that's with £150m spent and and easy start on paper. There is a mob in that thread who undermine and assassinate any poster who disagrees with them and the Mods ignore this. "Trolling" is the deliberate posting of nonsense you don't really believe with a view to winding people up. I have never "trolled" so this ban is not fair. I engage in reasoned debate, I back up my views and I respond to other posters.

It is not appropriate for Lord TSC or anyone to tell posters that they cannot give their (legitimate) opinion on a topic that's close to their heart.

Thank you.

Regards

Larry

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you discussed the yellow card (the ban automativcally follows under the Soccer Forum Charter) with the mod who issued it? That's the first step of the dispute process as set out above. If you are unable to come to a satisfactory agreement with the mod then you may start a thread here and one of the Sporst CMods will take a look at it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Beasty wrote: »
    Have you discussed the yellow card (the ban automativcally follows under the Soccer Forum Charter) with the mod who issued it? That's the first step of the dispute process as set out above. If you are unable to come to a satisfactory agreement with the mod then you may start a thread here and one of the Sporst CMods will take a look at it

Yes, I have. Thanks.

Just to add some detail, I've been advised that I "jumped the shark" with a post which said (broadly speaking) that:

- I'm not someone who just highlights a problem and doesn't suggest a solution.

- Standards have slipped

- Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane would be my choice to get those standards back to where they need to be.

Frankly I'm shocked at Lord TSC's stance. I was not trolling and I am not a troll. One would think that Louis Van Gaal had the best stats since time began and O'Neill/Keane were Morecambe and Wise. Per Lord TSC, there was a dozen things wrong with my post. I'm sure there are cases where it's grey but this is black and white - There is nothing wrong with that post. Far more troubling is the insipid bullying of other posters that goes on in that thread.

Thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I'll have a look at this. I may need to spend a little time on this as I understand there is quite a bit of background here

OK, I'll have a look at this. I may need to spend a little time on this as I understand there is quite a bit of background here

No problem. Thanks. My main point I guess is that just because someone's opinion annoys someone else, that doesn't make it trolling. Personally I'd look deeper and ask "what's the opinion?". In this case it's "Van Gaal should be sacked". Then I'd ask "why?". Well because his stats are the worst in 30 years. Thinking logically, the people complaining about my view and trying to stifle it should be banned.

• Advertisement

OK, I've been looking at your posting within the forum. You seem to have taken a position of continually criticising the current Man Utd manager and other aspects of the club. Indeed a quick glance at your posting over the past week and I cannot see anything positive about the club. I understand you have taken this stance pretty much since van Gaal was appointed, and you have been warned both via PM and in-thread about this relentlessly negative posting.

You know damn well that you approch is winding up other United fans yet you continue despite all the warnings. You are an out and out troll who has paid no attention to the warnings given and have continued to troll in a similar vein. There have also been other posts that could easily have been sanctioned by the mods. The mods have actually spent a lot of time dealing with the fallout from your posting as well as some of the direct consequences of you actions within the forum.

In light of your posting record and continued attempts to wind up other United fans, I think the forum will be a far better place without you. The local mods apply a totting up process in determining ban lengths but I am certainly not bound by that. I am therefore going to upgrade your ban to permanent. I am willing to reconsider after 6 months, but looking at your record elsewhere on the site I have a strong suspicion you will struggle to revise your posting style, in which case I will not be lifting the ban

That is a disgrace and a stitch-up.

How much time did you devote to your "review"?

Is this North Korea? I am entitled to hold negative views about the club I love.

I would like this escalated.

Justice has not been done.

OK, I've been looking at your posting within the forum. You seem to have taken a position of continually criticising the current Man Utd manager and other aspects of the club. Indeed a quick glance at your posting over the past week and I cannot see anything positive about the club. I understand you have taken this stance pretty much since van Gaal was appointed, and you have been warned both via PM and in-thread about this relentlessly negative posting.

You know damn well that you approch is winding up other United fans yet you continue despite all the warnings. You are an out and out troll who has paid no attention to the warnings given and have continued to troll in a similar vein. There have also been other posts that could easily have been sanctioned by the mods. The mods have actually spent a lot of time dealing with the fallout from your posting as well as some of the direct consequences of you actions within the forum.

In light of your posting record and continued attempts to wind up other United fans, I think the forum will be a far better place without you. The local mods apply a totting up process in determining ban lengths but I am certainly not bound by that. I am therefore going to upgrade your ban to permanent. I am willing to reconsider after 6 months, but looking at your record elsewhere on the site I have a strong suspicion you will struggle to revise your posting style, in which case I will not be lifting the ban

How dare you call me a troll in fact.

Do you actually know what a troll is?

You very clearly have been going out of your way to wind up other posters with your constant criticism of the club and its manager

In my view you do not warrant access to the forum as you only seem to use it to troll other users

You may ask an Admin to review my decision if you wish

So if an insipid majority acting in unison and colluding disagree with someone, that person is trolling?

Your views are ridiculous. United are in the biggest crisis in 25 years, results are the worst in 30 years and I'm overly negative? I'm the only one who isn't myopic.

Your token "review" during a 26 minute period was as I expected a stitch-up.

• Advertisement

You very clearly have been going out of your way to wind up other posters with your constant criticism of the club and its manager

In my view you do not warrant access to the forum as you only seem to use it to troll other users

You may ask an Admin to review my decision if you wish

No I have not!

The club has had its worst start to a season in 30 years. That's with £150m spent and an easy start on paper.

The club is in dire trouble.

The way the majority carry on in that thread, you'd swear we were on course for the Treble.

This is a stitch-up.

I would like a review please.

So if an insipid majority acting in unison and colluding disagree with someone, that person is trolling?

Your views are ridiculous. United are in the biggest crisis in 25 years, results are the worst in 30 years and I'm overly negative? I'm the only one who isn't myopic.

Your token "review" during a 26 minute period was as I expected a stitch-up.
    It is trolling when you know it will get a reaction

I was aware of prior problems caused by your posting through discussion with the local mods over an extended period and through reviewing a very large number of reported posts over an extended period. I also had to deal with another appeal againts a card issued (correctly in my view) to someone reacting to your posting. I actually spent the time since your initial post looking at your posts over the past week which were entirely in line with what I had understood to be the situation

I will ask an Admin to review this

I'm sorry Beasty, but if someone has a problem with a legitimate view, that's their problem.

You have been hoodwinked by the mob that control that thread. I'm even getting PMs to that effect from other users.

I do not post to annoy others. I post my views on the club I love. They are thought out and considered views. If they annoy others, that's their problem. It's not trolling.

Lord TSC and you have fallen for their sh1te hook line and sinker.

Do you realise how ridiculous the "stop posting negative stuff about the club" statement is? The club is f..ked. But no, "stop being negative". Jesus, this ban is laughable. But most of all, it is not fair. You are letting the bullies win.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I believe that you're trolling also: aka - winding people up intentionally, and it seems to have worked in that thread. This kind of low level trolling is a real timesink to the mods here and is not acceptable. You've been given ample warnings, and have amassed many warnings and one other forum ban, so it's not like you haven't had any fires across the bow.

I agree with Beasty's analysis, the Mods will review your ban in 6 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement