Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Family Activities in Ennis

• 30-10-2014 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some information about an upcoming move to Ennis. I'll be moving with my family (wife and two kids - 2 years old and 6 months old) to the St Flannan's area in November and I'm interested in finding out about the following:

1. Nature walks in the area
    2. Good ideas to keep kids occupied during the winter - indoor stuff mainly I guess
    3. Playgrounds nearby
    4. Family friendly places to eat

If anybody could help out with these, I'd really appreciate it!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi rgiller,

I'm in that general area of town and I have a 2 year old as well, it's a great spot to be in my opinion.

For nature walks, there's a few different options around there, there's the by-pass/watery road area and there's also Lee's Road out the Lahinch Road which as some good walks.

For indoor stuff, Denis's Den (Quin Road) or Leisure World (Drumbiggle) are good play areas for that age group.

Playgrounds in Ennis aren't great for smallies in my opinion, they seem to be more geared to the older kids, there are some good playgrounds in areas nearby like Clarecastle (just opened I think), Newmarket or Corofin. I find it good to go to some of those as the trip takes up some time as well :)

There are loads of family friendly places, in fact I would say it would be difficult to find 1 that isn't. Recently I've been out to dinner with my little lady to Season's 52, Peppermill, Old Ground and the Chinese of the Clare Road (can't remember the name), all were grand, high chairs, special menus and no hassle if she started making noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Thanks a lot for the reply Clareman, some really useful information in there! I've got a few more questions:

1. Are there many playgrounds in Ennis, and whereabouts are they? I know you mentioned you didn't think they were all that geared towards young kids but if they're within walking distance, we'll probably check them out.
    2. My wife and I will be looking for things to get involved in too - sporty stuff for me (5-a-side, tennis, fitness classes) and more cultural stuff for her, like drama group, choir, etc. Any suggestions?
    3. Do you go to a parent and baby group - any suggestions?

Thanks again!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

1. There are loads of them around, the Fairgreen (Tom Smythe Park) has a new 1 built in it and I think there's more dotted around the place in different estates, loads within walking distance I'd say.

2. There are LOADS of 5-a-side games going on, off the top of my head there are 8 astro turf pitches in Ennis. I'd recommend just going to some of the busier ones (Leisure World) at the time you want to play and see if anyone is looking for an extra player, don't forget to have money in your sock. The Tennis club is very popular (never been myself) and there are 2 golf clubs, there is talk of the golf club becoming a municipal course which would make it easier to take it up. There is a very active walking/cycling club associated with the Clare Crusaders, as well as that places like Cross Fit or EducoGym have clubs on.
    There's a very active Ennis drama group and I think there's a choir attached to the Cathedral, I think there's a gospel choir in Shannon as well.

3. I'm not, but my wife used to attend 1 out in Kilmaley when my smallie was born, I think it was ran by the Mid-West Health Board, I'll ask her about it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Thanks again, that's a great help

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭babygirlz

Lees road has a playground.

The playground in Newmarket on Fergus is excellent and suits all ages but it is about a 15 minute drive from Ennis.
    The West county Hotel is near Flannans and it has various fitness classes running there.
    There used to be a parent and baby group at Leisure World a few years ago but I am not sure if it is still going ahead, you could alway call up and ask. As far as I know Barneys ( on the Gort Road) has one.
    Hth.

Ps welcome to Ennis

• Advertisement
Advertisement