Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cooking for a group of 14 suggestions?

Options
  • 10-11-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, there is a group of 14 of us going away for a weekend soon and we are thinking of cooking on the first night. Has anyone any suggestions on what would be simple but tasty? We will be cooking a meat dish and a vegetarian dish so I'd be looking for 2 suggestions. We will not be cooking from home so we will have to buy most of the ingredients - the reason I mention that is because there won't be any cupboard staples to rely on. I was thinking of maybe Indian for one dish, but that's just a thought. If you have recipes that would be great, but a suggestion that I can google would be fine. Thanks in advance to any answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A Big Pot of <insert dish of choice> along with rice and maybe pasta?

Dish of choice could be any if the following:
    Curry
    Chilli con carne
    Tomato - based sauce, with plenty of veg for the veggies, do the meat separate so the non - veggies can just pour the sauce over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've done something similar in the past on a few occasions, i.e. walking weekends in a hostel with a large group, and to be honest we went with just one veggie option for everybody, simply due to the ease of transport of ingredients, i.e. no meat to go off. Also, do as much preparation as is humanly possible in advance as the quality of knives, implements etc. in these places is usually dire. I've done (for example) a Moroccan-style vegetable tagine with couscous, or a veggie chilli, and the meat-eaters really didn't mind at all. Chop all the veg up at home and take it with you in polythene bags, beans etc, keep in the tins, and mix up all the spice mixes in advance and put in small plastic bags or containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Why can't you cook big pots of each dish before you go? To transport it, just use duct tape to keep the lid on the pot. As the weather is cooler these days it will keep better in the car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I'd make a meat chilli and a bean chilli. Make one base with all the tasty bits and season the heck out of it. When you get there, brown the meat and add half the base (And some beans later), and stew the other half with lots of different types of beans (this won't take as long as the meat one i'd say, esp if you use canned beans).
    This way everyone pretty much gets the same meal and everyone can share the same side dishes. Bake a few trays of nachos with grated cheese, have some sour cream and extra cheese on the side and some chilli sauce as well. If you are pushing the boat out, make some Mexican rice, guacamole and/or salsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can pre-cook, of course, but based on my own personal experience for veggie chilli/curry/tagine etc. I'd err on the side of undercooking it before transport. Two reasons .. firstly if you cook it fully and then leave it, it will continue to cook and end up a bit mushy, and secondly as it will then also be quite solid once cold, it will be difficult to warm up without accidentally burning the base especially if using an unfamiliar cooker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ricotta and spinach lasagne / cannelloni. You can do it in those disposable metal trays if you don't have the dishes.

Stuffing the cannelloni can be a bit of a faff, so I sometimes do this as a lasagne instead. It's bloody gorgeous. Have it with some garlic breads (you can buy these ready to go in the supermarket if you want one less thing to prep), and a big salad.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/531632/spinach-and-ricotta-cannelloni

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Whatever you are planning to cook I suggest bring a sharp knife, a chopping board and may a large saucepan/frying pan or casserole dish. Most self catering houses are poor when it comes to kitchen equipment. It might also be worth flilling some small sandwich bags with salt/pepper/dry herbs/sugar/coffee/tea bags rather from home rather than having to buy in the supermarket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Beef cheek braised in red wine. Cheap cut of meat and very tasty. Gets very tender with about 4 hours of cooking. Very easy (and cheap) for a large group.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GHER

Thanks for all the replies folks. Plenty of ideas to work with.

Advertisement