Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Footballer of the Year?

• 02-09-2013 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Based on performances to date..
    if Mayo win....O Shea a cert?

If Dubs win ...not so sure. McCauley maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

O'Shea has to be favourite and will get it if Mayo win.

If Dublin win, it will depend on performances in the final....Cluxton, Flynn, McAuley maybe.

O'Shea could still get it. Cooper the outside bet (I would argue that invidually he has a very strong claim)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Aidan O'Shea regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Fireball07 wrote: »
    O'Shea has to be favourite and will get it if Mayo win.

If Dublin win, it will depend on performances in the final....Cluxton, Flynn, McAuley maybe.

O'Shea could still get it. Cooper the outside bet (I would argue that invidually he has a very strong claim)

Where are you getting Cluxton from? Everything he did yesterday went wrong:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Michael Darragh MacAuley or Aidan O' Shea.

liam7831 wrote: »
    Where are you getting Cluxton from? Everything he did yesterday went wrong:confused:

Didn't play well yesterday but he does get a lot of hype. I wouldn't be surprised if he got it if Dublin won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Didn't play well yesterday but he does get a lot of hype. I wouldn't be surprised if he got it if Dublin won.

McCaffrey , McAuley and Cian O Sullivan(who has been brilliant this year in my opinion) would all be ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Maybe I'm being narrow-minded, or even downright wrong in perception of what the accolade means, but as far as 'Footballer of the Year', I think that regardless of the winner of the final, Aidan O Shea has been the best footballer this year. McCauley, while a super athlete with great drive and vital to Dublin, is not, to me, a super 'footballer' in the total sense of the word.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Radio5

Seriously ? Even if Dublin win and thats a big if, I think Aidan O'Shea is ahead of anything that's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's O'Shea's to lose methinks. But if Mayo get wiped out by Dublin and/or he has a stinker of a game and/or he does something exceptionally stupid or dirty and gets sent off, that could open things up a bit for Cooper. I think that a lot of people would like to see him get one more piece of personal silver ware before he retires.

Even if Dublin win on the 22nd, I don't think that any Dub in particular has done enough to merit it. Many of them have had great games along the way, but it's been very much a team effort so far. If Dublin win, and Flynn or MDMA have an exceptional game, that may win it for one of them, but it will be a very narrow win. I just don't think that the style of play of either of them has enough of the WOW factor for them to get enough votes. Hope I'm wrong though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The older O'Shea brother. dark horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Cian Mackey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The older O'Shea brother. dark horse.

Yea a good call, but I'd argue that there is another Mayo player that would be a better shout as a dark horse.
    If AOS has a poor game, and this guy preforms well, and Mayo still manage to win I think he should get it, but I don't think he will

Oh, I'm talking about Lee Keegan by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Exactly, it is voted for by journalists, same as the allstars, and is often given to the player who has been hyped the most rather than the best player of the year.

Cluxton had been having a decent year til last sunday as well. If Dublin win well, there is a very good chance it will go to a dub and he would be one of the likely candidates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Aidan O'Shea

dirtyden wrote: »
    Exactly, it is voted for by journalists, same as the allstars, and is often given to the player who has been hyped the most rather than the best player of the year.

Cluxton had been having a decent year til last sunday as well. If Dublin win well, there is a very good chance it will go to a dub and he would be one of the likely candidates.

Like last year Alan Dillon got an All-Star ahead of McLaughlin even though there was no way he was better over the course of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Colm Boyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Aidan o Shea or Michael Dara McCauley, dark horse Lee Keegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Not a single mention of Sean Cavanagh yet? For me he has been the outstanding footballer this summer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yes he had a good year but it was over a little early I think, the performance of Gooch yesterday IMHO took away the remaining chance he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Paul Flynn has been Dublin's best player for several years at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Colm Boyle for me. Has been outstanding in every game. Will be AOS

Young player- If COC plays final think he'll get it. If not McCaffrey prob will or whoever has a good final out of mannion, KK

Michael Dara McCauley is now a shoe in for player of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

seligehgit wrote: »

Eeeeh. Thought he was less influential than Bastick, who only played something like 40 minutes yesterday. Great against Kerry and a contender for PotY, but not a shoe-in. For me Colm Boyle would be the obvious choice, consistency and excellence personified in just about all his performances this year.

The judges will probably chicken out and give it to MDM or, if they're going 'stars-in-their-eyes' like they did giving Gooch an All-Star for one performance in 2011, throw another one at Brogan.

Syferus wrote: »
    Eeeeh. Thought he was less influential than Bastick, who only played something like 40 minutes yesterday. Great against Kerry and a contender for PotY, but not a shoe-in. For me Colm Boyle would be the obvious choice, consistency and excellence personified in just about all his performances this year.

The judges will probably chicken out and give it to MDM or, if they're going 'stars-in-their-eyes' like they did giving Gooch an All-Star for one performance in 2011, throw another one at Brogan.

Can't disagree with you Colm was outstanding this year although if I was going to give it to a Mayo player it would have to be Lee Keegan.He was superb yesterday and all year round, especially in the first half.
    Syferus tbh I just think they'll give it to a Dublin player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Cluxton?

Keegan/ Boyle for me but it'll be a Dublin player

I'd still give 6 mayo backs all stars- won't happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭gearoidc

MDM 4/6
    Gooch 11/4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

seligehgit wrote: »

How come this guy is gets his second name read out and others dont.... :rolleyes:

Aidan O'Shea has been a great player this year but yesterday I think he wasnt fully fit and for that reason I think he wont win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the Donegal game is seriously over-rating Aidan O Sheas year. yes he was immense there, but he was poor enough in the game yesterday and also didnt play anything too spectacular against Tyrone.

MDM, Cian O Cullivan, Lee Keegan and gooch were much better than him, in fact theres about 12 players who'd deserve player of the year ahead of him and 4 or 5 of them are on his own team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Michael Dara McCauley is probably not a shoe in but I think he just about deserves it, Paul Flynn is a dark horse, has been Dublins most consistent player for 4 or 5 years now and is very underrated in my eyes. For Mayo Keegan / Boyle / Seamus O'Shea have been their best players all year, Aiden O'Shea (v Donegal) and Gooch (v Dublin) were the 2 best individual performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

the Donegal game is seriously over-rating Aidan O Sheas year. yes he was immense there, but he was poor enough in the game yesterday and also didnt play anything too spectacular against Tyrone

I'm glad someone said it. I agree.

I'd give it to Cian O' Sullivan but MDM will get it.

Advertisement