Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

childhood cartoons that scared you/creeped you out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

withless wrote: »
    Not a cartoon I think but there used to be an ad for the TV license that scared me. It was about the 'TV SPONGERS' and had a sponge that was hung out on a washing line. Mam says I used to go and hide in the hedge when it came on.

Does anybody remember that ad?

there were a few of those ads, I rememer one where there was just one sponger sitting on a stool and some big hook dragged him off it.

Y'd probably have to ask someone in the RTE archives for a copy of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Monster incorporated was the scariest film ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭StevieNicksFan

The episode of Goosebumps with the talking dummy that kills people really unsettles me even to this day..its even freakier than Chucky! The episode was called 'Night of the Living Dummy' I think

There was another episode called 'Say cheese or die' about a polaroid camera that took pics of the future. There was one scene where the guy took a pic of someones new car and when it developed, the car was completely wrote off..the person who owned it had a car crash the next day. Also when he took pics of people, some would appear invisible and they would subsequently disappear......freaky stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Saw this when I was about 7. I'm yet to see anything scarier.

0:38. When it cuts to the Goblins. That front and centre guy who says "listen". That guy was the one who I imagined being under my bed or creeping around in the dark in my room.

Not so much scary as disturbing and crushing.

In summary. As an 80's kid there were always puppets and I was always crying.

This isn't from my childhood but deserves a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

The 90's Batman cartoon freaked me out a bit, especially villains like the Joker and , shudder, Two-Face. Looking back on it, it was quite dark for a kids' cartoon. I'd love to watch that again if I could find it.

For those who don't remember( hell, even the opening was a bit scary):

Also, "Cow and Chicken" freaked me out a bit even though it wasn't out-and-out scary. There was quite a nilhilistic vibe off it that I think I picked up on as it made me feel sad and empty inside , it just unnerved me how you never saw their parents' torsos. Yeah, I was a sad child. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Whilomena the whirlegig witch from Forty Coats and Sneaky Snake from Wanderly Wagon scared the crap out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Powerpuff girls was freaking badass for the most part. I loved it. There was, however, one villain who scared the living shït out of me.

Him.

That cartoon villain was the damned incarnation of evil, he even looked like Satan. Fücking creepy bastard. Still scares me, in fact, he's like a nightmare man.

The voice on him :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

Trap door used to scare me as a kid... Although, looking at it now, the guy looks kinda lovable...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

There was a kids programme in the 1970's called Jamie and his magic torch, the start of the programme would scare me so much I'd hide behind the sofa.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Oh courage the cowardly dog.... I can't believe I forgot about that... scariest cartoon ever seriously, gave me nightmares as a kid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I could never watch the tiger fight scene in The jungle Book : frightened the life out of me. And I only saw the flying monkey scene for the first time this year from the Wizzard of Oz!! :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Scooby Doo kind of freaked me out when I was really little, as well as Bananas in Pyjamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

the hulk scares the life out of me to this day
    thunder birds was creepy
    the sea hag in popeye, scary
    brutus in popeye, oh god he was scary
    mr magoo, weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lucycat

D_D wrote: »
    Trap door used to scare me as a kid... Although, looking at it now, the guy looks kinda lovable...

Trap door frightened the sh*te out of me as a kid, Christ I'm getting the heebie-jeebies now just thinking about it.

+1 on Ren & Stimpy, that was really, really weird.

Also, Nickolodeon had a cartoon called 'arrgh Real Monsters' or something that I genuinely had nightmares over for years.

When I was really young I was petrified of Fraggle Rock.

Also, scarred for LIFE from being made Watership Down in school when I was in Juniour Infants - I think the teacher ended up with a class of 20-odd completely hysterical kids :( Can't even cope with hearing that poxy Bright Eyes song even today :(

Basically, its no wonder that I am a melancholic scaredy-cat. I blame the cartoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

lastlaugh wrote: »
    This wasn't a cartoon either but it creeped me out altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ztIDFU2P8&feature=related

That still kinda freaks me out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

micropig wrote: »

Omg thank you! I've been looking for a clip of this for years! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Bucky O'Hare. And that fella from the milk advert, 'And that's a natural law'. F***ing freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Not a cartoon but this sticks out for me. Was absolutely terrified of Zelda and the other baddies. :o

Kick-ass theme tune though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

now that i go bk over this thread- the thunderbirds used to scare me too- they still do a bit :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Not a cartoon but a kids film 'Return to Oz' frightened the bejaysus out of me when I went to see it on the cinema. Very dark movie and still is (DL it recently to see if it was as bad as I remembered).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

It was live action but the wheelers in Return to Oz really scared me when i was a kid and i dont think i was the only one

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4524gfnmC1qb9v9no1_500.jpg

What about Queen Mobi's (think that was her name screaming heads)?

EDIT: oh and 1,000 posts yay....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭buswankers

grotbags used to scare the shite out of me. the woman who played her died only a while ago. RIP grotbags

Oh my God me too.....in fact just looking at pics of her, she still freaks me out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The dog from Faherty's Garden on Bosco. Creeped me out so much, my mother had to turn over to whatever was on RTE 1 while it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Worzel Gummidge

A scarecrow that could twist off his head

I second this one anyways... Still freaks me out... He used to be able to pull off his own head AND CONTINUED TALKING!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

The Plague Dogs, anyone?

It just...depressing, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Showing my age here, but this was always a bit dark .....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Not sure if anyone remembers the weird "Kinder Egg"

Freaky scary thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Ulysees i always found a bit creepy.. Hope i remember that right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Adhamh wrote: »
    Mr Blobby.

What madman thought children would warm to him?

Christ, he was a nightmare figure if ever there was one.

Anyone remember the Demon Headmaster? Used to really creep me out as a kid. Watched a couple of episodes recently though, and just found it laughably bad (wouldn't recommend it if you want to retain that pleasant cloud of nostalgia around it).

Another one that got under my skin a bit was the Animorphs series (I only ever really read the books, but there was a TV show too so it counts!). Though it wasn't a particularly scary show in itself, the concept of it horrified me - alien slugs crawling in through your ear and taking control of your body :eek:

Glad to see Rimini Riddle get a mention too. I was almost convinced that that show was a half-remembered nightmare from my childhood. I'd love to get a chance to watch it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Not a character as such, but the "voice of the mysterons" in Captain Scarlet was creepy as anything

Advertisement