Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

How have you been here for 4 years Richy? You're not still doing playthroughs are you?

I think out of 3 accounts and NG+6 or 7 I stopped for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

For O&S pyromancy is a huge help. My tactic is...when you get to the big hall equip the great combustion and combustion pyromancies and a shield...run past the Sentinels, they can't follow you in to the O&S fight....then I target Ornstein (the knight)...let him come to you at the start and make sure you either roll out of the way or block his first attack which is usually his big thrust from distance...then...and this is tough no doubt...nip in beside him after he attacks and use your pyro (obv the more upgraded your pyro flame the better) then roll back and out of his way...key from here on is avoiding his attacks, nipping in with your pyro, while at the same time keeping an eye on Smough...ideally try to keep one of the pillar bases between you and him at all times...once Ornstein is gone focussing on Smough isn't too bad but no doubt you'll take a few deaths to get his timing down...just remember to keep a pillar base between you and when he uses his lightning slam attack then nip in and hit him double handed with a high damage weapon...I like the battle axe

Even without pyro the tactic is similar keep Smough out of the way and nick away at ornstein with a fire weapon, Queelags Fury sword is good, but don't get greedy and look for multiple hits or it's bye bye

I died at least 100 times on my first PT, maybe more

Enjoy

Hope to see that "GET IN THERE" post over the coming days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I did it by keeping my distance from Smough - run away around the perimiter of the room, dont lock onto target. keep and eye on orstein, once he does his dash attack, dodge, then quickly lock on and then run away again. try not to finish at the far end of the room (from where you entered) as Smough will go through his transformation here and you'll be vulnerable immediately after you take control of your character again.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

I feel pretty ashamed to say smough and Ornstein are still kicking my ass But took a break from them last night and decided to try my luck with Sif and I kicked his ass :D Think I have figured out how to kill the sentinels outside Smough and Ornstein without useing to much estus So I should be able to bring the Npc charactor with me to the fight. before the Ncp would stay fighting the sentinels and I would end up facing the two A**eH**les alone. As I keep leveling up do the enemies level with me ? because I have spent along time farming souls to level up my health and stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

p38 wrote: »
    I feel pretty ashamed to say smough and Ornstein are still kicking my ass But took a break from them last night and decided to try my luck with Sif and I kicked his ass :D Think I have figured out how to kill the sentinels outside Smough and Ornstein without useing to much estus So I should be able to bring the Npc charactor with me to the fight. before the Ncp would stay fighting the sentinels and I would end up facing the two A**eH**les alone. As I keep leveling up do the enemies level with me ? because I have spent along time farming souls to level up my health and stamina.

They don't level no, but if you have a summon bosses have 1.5x as !much health! So if you summoned Solaire you'd be fighting a stronger O&S than without him

• Advertisement

I know I'm getting ahead of my self but who do I attempt to kill:rolleyes:first which one leaves the better collectibles. I like the look of ornsteins armour. But I have read that if you kill Smough first ornstein gets extremely hard .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

this game active enough lads? for pvp or summoning? always loved getting summoned to help players out in boss fights, just can't seem to get into dark souls 2 compared to the first

I have no wifi adaptor for my 360 so that is why I am soloing the game.
    If things keep going with S+O as they are at the moment which is Me entering the fog gate watching the two F**k**s close the gap and within 20 secs YOU DIED flashing across the screen. I think I will invest in wifi adapter and I will summon everybody:D Joking aside I have got this far on my own I still remember fighting the Iron Golem (shudders) on my own so I will try and persevere. You guys are probably sitting there thinking he thinks S+O are hard wait till he see's what comes next. That is the reason darksouls has me hooked.

If a build can solo o+s its good enough to finish the game! You may be going too fast with them? I solo'd them at SL1, the fight literally went on for over 25 minutes.

If you want Ornstiens armor, murder Smough with unholy vengeance, and stay between Orsteins legs, when he does his impale attack, roll behind him. He's easier IMO he just has better elemental defended than Smough so people dependant on elemental attacks can't hit as hard

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

What character are you playing as, p38?

• Advertisement

PandyAndy wrote: »
    What character are you playing as, p38?

A melee warrior if that makes any sense I am not very good at the matching correct attributes to the correct build . (I know I should by now). I came to dark souls from Oblivion, Skyrim gamer would rarely use magic or sneak in other words a Conan type character "Get Big, Get bigger Armour, Get Bigger Sword, and flake away" :D
    But I am beginning to learn the finesse to combat in Dark souls and it is so much sweeter. I can back stab sometimes but as for riposte I am useless. I am currently wearing Silver knights armour which I can't level up because my game is not patched and finding twinkling titanite is like gold and I have spent 15 hrs+ farming Ash lake. I think I have over 80 purging stones but the clams wont drop twinkling titanite:mad: I can't get the soundtrack from ash lake out of my head. Sorry bout the long post I know you only wanted to no my build not my dark souls life story. :D

A melee warrior if that makes any sense I am not very good at the matching correct attributes to the correct build . (I know I should by now). I came to dark souls from Oblivion, Skyrim gamer would rarely use magic or sneak in other words a Conan type character "Get Big, Get bigger Armour, Get Bigger Sword, and flake away" :D
    But I am beginning to learn the finesse to combat in Dark souls and it is so much sweeter. I can back stab sometimes but as for riposte I am useless. I am currently wearing Silver knights armour which I can't level up because my game is not patched and finding twinkling titanite is like gold and I have spent 15 hrs+ farming Ash lake. I think I have over 80 purging stones but the clams wont drop twinkling titanite:mad: I can't get the soundtrack from ash lake out of my head. Sorry bout the long post I know you only wanted to no my build not my dark souls life story. :D

I think combat style, stats and weapons may have been what he was asking for :PAC:

Also, try this www.raymondhill.net/darksouls/darksouls-armor-calc.php

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

If you have never updated it...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UdcKGWmZMs

If you have never updated it...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UdcKGWmZMs

Excellent LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    this game active enough lads? for pvp or summoning? always loved getting summoned to help players out in boss fights, just can't seem to get into dark souls 2 compared to the first
    There is still an active community. No-where near as big since DS2 but it's just one of those games people just keeping coming back to. You shouldn't have too long a wait for a PvP invasion or even a summon

Excellent LOL:D

Theres some really good vidoes out there of dark souls

Theres some really good vidoes out there of dark souls

I should record myself trying to beat O+S my better half has describe me as something possessed talking in tongues without the foaming at the mouth (YET). I'm sure that vid would get a few laughs, or me committed :o

What're some good strength weapons? Never done a strength build in this, Black Knight Greatsword\Greataxe seems unanimous? Twinkling is too rare though

What're some good strength weapons? Never done a strength build in this, Black Knight Greatsword\Greataxe seems unanimous? Twinkling is too rare though
    Most of the crystal lizards have twinkling titanite. After one playthrough I had around 16 pieces of Twinkling Titanite (I was wearing Havel's Armor and only levelling up Quellag's Furysword and Artorias Cursed Great Sword) so there is definitely plenty.

I should record myself trying to beat O+S my better half has describe me as something possessed talking in tongues without the foaming at the mouth (YET). I'm sure that vid would get a few laughs, or me committed :o

Tbf it'd get like because everyone has been through that. When you face down Khalamet and beat him NG+ then O+S will be a non-event, your reflexes and actions improve so much by general play that time its shocking, and yes Ng+ and Artorias of the Abyss are well worth it.

• Advertisement

Tbf it'd get like because everyone has been through that. When you face down Khalamet and beat him NG+ then O+S will be a non-event, your reflexes and actions improve so much by general play that time its shocking, and yes Ng+ and Artorias of the Abyss are well worth it.

Yeah beginning to see that I managed to take down Smough for the first time today :) then large Ornstein kicked me all over the place, I wasn't angry because I now know I am getting better dodging, rolling knowing when to strike and when to back off. Soon they will be mine

Yeah beginning to see that I managed to take down Smough for the first time today :) then large Ornstein kicked me all over the place, I wasn't angry because I now know I am getting better dodging, rolling knowing when to strike and when to back off. Soon they will be mine

That's the spirit! If you can farm to get 12 faith you could use heal for a few free heals...albeit slow you should still have time to use them

I changed my Trusty Eagle shield +10 into shield of Artorias Jesus you need serious strength to use it have I made a big mistake. Think I have a lot of farming ahead. Strength needed for Artorias Shield 34 my strength 25

I changed my Trusty Eagle shield +10 into shield of Artorias Jesus you need serious strength to use it have I made a big mistake. Think I have a lot of farming ahead. Strength needed for Artorias Shield 34 my strength 25

I've only every used whatever the Blue Shield thee Undead Merchant sells :pac: You can reversed it anyways can't you?

I've only every used whatever the Blue Shield thee Undead Merchant sells :pac: You can reversed it anyways can't you?

Yeah I forgot about that :o shame to have wasted Sifs soul ah well live and learn. Think I will level up until strength is 34 anyways, Artorias shield looks bad-ass would go well with the black iron armour apart from the helmet which looks like a pot with holes cut in it.

Yeah I forgot about that :o shame to have wasted Sifs soul ah well live and learn. Think I will level up until strength is 34 anyways, Artorias shield looks bad-ass would go well with the black iron armour apart from the helmet which looks like a pot with holes cut in it.

Jesus, I hope you dont roll with that? You must have a lighter shield to use until you get your 9 llevels?

Jesus, I hope you dont roll with that? You must have a lighter shield to use until you get your 9 llevels?

No rolling just flopping :D No I am currently using my Balder +5 shield and Artorias shield is in the box until I gain strength. And my armour is currently the Dark leather set or Silver knight set which I am leveling up for my continued battle with O+S. I am farming for souls in the painted world. Did you fight the woman boss on the way out of the painted world I have left her for now I think you get more humanity? if the boss is still alive in a level Not sure if that's true.

No rolling just flopping :D No I am currently using my Balder +5 shield and Artorias shield is in the box until I gain strength. And my armour is currently the Dark leather set or Silver knight set which I am leveling up for my continued battle with O+S. I am farming for souls in the painted world. Did you fight the woman boss on the way out of the painted world I have left her for now I think you get more humanity? if the boss is still alive in a level Not sure if that's true.
    Yeah, you can get up to 10 soft humanities in one place by killing humanoid enemies (hollows, painted knight guardians etc). If you want to get the achievement/trophy for all the rare weapons in the game you do have to fight her though, cut off her tail before you kill her to get Pricilla's dagger.

I used get the lightest shield I could with 100% damage reduction when I played with shields. I sued love dodging and two handed too much though. You'll find unless your a tank then the heavy shields will slow you down too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Artorias shield looks bad-ass would go well with the black iron armour apart from the helmet which looks like a pot with holes cut in it.

Spoken like a true follower of Fashion Souls! :D

Advertisement