Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Brion

Wondering if you guys can help me here.

Was given a iPhone 4 by a friend who was on the 3 network. I'm with vodafone. Put the SIM in and received the following message:

"Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported Carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card"

I'm taking this as the phone not being unlocked. What are my options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Raven Slow Putter

Brion wrote: »
    Wondering if you guys can help me here.

Was given a iPhone 4 by a friend who was on the 3 network. I'm with vodafone. Put the SIM in and received the following message:

"Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported Carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card"

I'm taking this as the phone not being unlocked. What are my options?

How long did your friend have the phone? You could ask them to request the unlock code from 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Hi all been reading over this a bit. Just got my first iPhone, a 4s and am a noob to Jailbreaking, had a bit of Rooting experience on Android but thats it.

I'm half thinking of JB'ing my 4s. I'm looking to add the following tweaks:

- Swype like function for textng
    - Text message delivery reports in stock messaging app
    - Add a draw pattern lock screen, instead of the slide to unlock
    - I also wouldn't mind being able to add something like a wifi/bluetooth shortcuts to the nav bar if possible

Would any of you be able to help? I'm on iOS 6.1.3

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Brion

BDJW wrote: »
    How long did your friend have the phone? You could ask them to request the unlock code from 3

Not sure how long he had the phone for, I must ask him. I don't think he's had it that long. If that's the case, what are my options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Herrick wrote: »
    Hi all been reading over this a bit. Just got my first iPhone, a 4s and am a noob to Jailbreaking, had a bit of Rooting experience on Android but thats it.

- I also wouldn't mind being able to add something like a wifi/bluetooth shortcuts to the nav bar if possible

Don't think you'll be able to jailbreak unfortunately, Apple fixed the exploit that allowed the jailbreak in 6.1.3
    You would need to downgrade, but that can only be done on iphone 4 and ipod touch 4g with saved blobs as far as im aware

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Just so you know iphone jb swype app is incredibly poor. You really wouldn't want to use it. You can get a swype input app on the app store called touchpal that is very good. You can't send txts from you but you can send imessages. You also have one click copy in it so its very simple and quick to copy and paste into your sms app if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

guil wrote: »
    No don't think they can unlock an iPhone 5 yet. I presume you bought the phone on prepay. If so for a little extra you could of got it from apple direct and unlocked. Now you will have to spend upto €150 credit to get the network to unlock it

Network unlock after 150 is spent on credit?
    Does that include vodafone and apply even if you werent the person who originally purchased the phone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Raven Slow Putter

Is there anywhere that actually does an official unlock of an iPhone 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭mcw92

You wont be able to jailbreak as they havnt released jailbreak for 6.1.3 yet sadly.

But when you do here are some apps that might interest you :

Stride : Draw a pattern to unlock

As for quick access to Wifi and Bluetooth you could you use SBSettings or NCSettings to turn them on and off
    SBSettings v NCSettings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,470 ✭✭✭✭guil

Network unlock after 150 is spent on credit?
    Does that include vodafone and apply even if you werent the person who originally purchased the phone ?

Yeah I'm sure all of the networks will if you purchase a prepay phone from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Simply Red wrote: »
    Don't think you'll be able to jailbreak unfortunately, Apple fixed the exploit that allowed the jailbreak in 6.1.3
    You would need to downgrade, but that can only be done on iphone 4 and ipod touch 4g with saved blobs as far as im aware

Ok Red thanks for the info.
    Just so you know iphone jb swype app is incredibly poor. You really wouldn't want to use it. You can get a swype input app on the app store called touchpal that is very good. You can't send txts from you but you can send imessages. You also have one click copy in it so its very simple and quick to copy and paste into your sms app if you want.

Thanks Whimsical! I actually just got the touchpal now and it works great! It actually works for normal texts as well, maybe it was updated since you used it. You just swype up the text, tap message and send it. I sent one to my sister who has an Android and it worked.
    mcw92 wrote: »
    You wont be able to jailbreak as they havnt released jailbreak for 6.1.3 yet sadly.

But when you do here are some apps that might interest you :

Stride : Draw a pattern to unlock

As for quick access to Wifi and Bluetooth you could you use SBSettings or NCSettings to turn them on and off
    SBSettings v NCSettings

Thanks McW those apps are exactly what I'm looking for, having already spotted iphonedelivery for delivery reports, just need to hope they release a JB soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey guys I am useless at lingo, so a simple yes no answer would be lovely.

I owe my mum a phone (I robbed her upgrade last time)

Her Iphone 4 is dying, and I want to get her an Iphone 5. I am due an upgrade, but I am on emobile, she is on o2.

Am I able to get it networked unlocked at all?

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hey guys I am useless at lingo, so a simple yes no answer would be lovely.

I owe my mum a phone (I robbed her upgrade last time)

Her Iphone 4 is dying, and I want to get her an Iphone 5. I am due an upgrade, but I am on emobile, she is on o2.

Am I able to get it networked unlocked at all?
    Not a hope in hell that eMobile will unlock it till the contract is up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

guil wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell that eMobile will unlock it till the contract is up

And there isn't a dodgy shop in town that'll do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Just wanted to double check, but I take it that we're still unable to unlock iPhones on baseband 05.16.02 without upgrading to Ipad baseband 06.15.00 or something, right?

errlloyd wrote: »
    And there isn't a dodgy shop in town that'll do it?

Not sure on that, ring and ask

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

done a stupid thing last night, i factory reset my jail broken iphone 3gs..now when i start the phone it has to be activated when i cannot do due to it being jail broken before...anyways what are my options now, iv tried a few things but no such luck...Its on baseband 6.15 currently

Can i do anything with it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭mcw92

NoelDoran wrote: »
    done a stupid thing last night, i factory reset my jail broken iphone 3gs..now when i start the phone it has to be activated when i cannot do due to it being jail broken before...anyways what are my options now, iv tried a few things but no such luck...Its on baseband 6.15 currently

Can i do anything with it??

Ive activated originally jailbroken iPhones before, do you not just need the sim card in it if its locked to a network, or any sim card if its unlocked?

no it wont let me do anything with any sim card in it....

• Advertisement

think iv just got it working, i just re jail broke the phone by downgrading from 6.15 to 6.0 via redsn0w...

think iv just got it working, i just re jail broke the phone by downgrading from 6.15 to 6.0 via redsn0w...

Your mixing two different things up. If the baseband was 06.15.00 restoring to iOS 6 will more than likely brick the baseband.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

Hi All, wonder if someone can point me in the right direction or even tell me if its possible.

Friend bought an iphone 4 off a friend of a friend, anyway she thought it would be as simple as getting it unlocked when she went back to the UK.

She has an irish sim for it but the phone shop in the UK said she would have to
    get the network to unlock it.

Will one of the back street "phone shops" be able to do this as when the original
    owner of the phone rang 3 they said it would cost a few hundred to unlock.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Think she is out of luck. Not so long ago there was no way to unlock a 3 iPhone unless they did it. They will only do it for the original owner if the contract is up

• Registered Users Posts: 1 T_Byrne15

OK so I'm a little bit dense when it comes to all of this kinda stuff so I'm just gonna explain my situation and see if anyone can help.
    Currently living in the UK and came into possession of an iPhone 4 thats locked to tMobile, their being a bit useless when it comes to helping me unlock it as I'm on o2. Currently at ios 6.1.3 which Im aware theres no jailbreak for but I was wondering, does the phone need to be jailbroken to be unlocked yes?

Google it. It isn't possible to unlock it with a jailbreak anyway but you can pay to get it done in lots of places

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Awake&Unafraid

Had a bit of a fright this morning, was rebooting my phone and the whole screen ended up in the top left corner of phone, squeezed into about 1inch by 1inch. The rest of the screen was black mostly, but some flashing and stuff. Rebooted it several times, no change. Finally put it into safe mode and it was fine, and removed some stuff from cydia and it's fine now, phew.

Anyone know what could have caused this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Had a bit of a fright this morning, was rebooting my phone and the whole screen ended up in the top left corner of phone, squeezed into about 1inch by 1inch. The rest of the screen was black mostly, but some flashing and stuff. Rebooted it several times, no change. Finally put it into safe mode and it was fine, and removed some stuff from cydia and it's fine now, phew.

Anyone know what could have caused this?

That sounds scary. Could be the last thing or two from Cydia. Can you remember what they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

It is possible. If you upgraded a 3GS to 6.1.3 and you are on baseband 6.15.00 and now you cannot activate ( no service message ) you need to:

1. Baseband downgrade from 6.15.00 to 05.16.08 with redsnow.
    2. Then restore via iTunes.

Just be aware that if you are using win 7/8, make sure you run redsnow in XP SP3 compatibility mode. I ran into trouble prior to changing this setting.

That's it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭smurphy69

Anybody know how to get the new UPC horizon app working on a jail broken device?

Advertisement