Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ULSU Elections 2011 (Voting Thursday March 24)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Lads,

Just to say I'm not in UL, But I have meet and worked with Barry outside of college life in one of his extra curricular activities. He was always a great fella to work with and always mucked in to get the jobs done. I have never known Baz not to give 110% and get the job done, and whats more it was always done better than we expected.

Good luck in the forth coming election Baz.
    Just watch out for chickens....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

something I've been wondering about for sometime and since gallery has brought it up ill ask.
    why exactly did UL leave the USI? and why do we stay outside?..i tried googling this but never turned up anything too informative

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

SarahBeep! wrote: »

Also, any current sabbat Will tell you that the amount of work they do in proportion to their wages does not constitute a fortune.

Ah yeah but it's a decent wage in fairness for most positions, and it guarantees graduates a job in times when they are very hard to come by for graduates. They're all mainly applying because it's a decent job. But like I said before, nothing wrong with that, all the power to them. These two weeks are like an extremely extensive interview.
    SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Troublemakers and sh*t stirrers crawl out from under rocks and trolls crawl out from under bridges every year. I think its fair enough to say that student who bother voting are intelligent enough to ignore what's not worth hearing.

The funny thing is that with e-voting coming in, very many students who wouldn't usually vote actually will because theres little effort involved. The majority of these won't know the candidates or care about the SU, so it guarantees that these elections will be won on ad campaigns and canvassing. Candidates should focus on that and worry about their policies after they're elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Sorry love, but I aint Eamon or Barry..

To be fair, I am new to boards.ie, I hardly know how to work this website and I wish for my Identity to remain private..

I agree with your point of view that fresh faces always help. However Aoife as sound as she is.. shes in the clique herself.. and friends with alot of Officers an SU folk herself.. So I wouldnt consider her to be a fresh face..

I want to someone who has shown commitment to SU.. and Baz certainty has plently of fresh ideas himselves..Read his manifesto !!

I don't know who you, Barry or Aoife are but I'd like a bit of clarity from mods on this one - how is anyone to know if you are or not involved in a campaign when you wish to remain anon?! Same goes for this apparently ficticious username which is obviously designed to look like a UL ID which doesn't exist....

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Ah yeah but it's a decent wage in fairness for most positions, and it guarantees graduates a job in times when they are very hard to come by for graduates. They're all mainly applying because it's a decent job. But like I said before, nothing wrong with that, all the power to them. These two weeks are like an extremely extensive interview.

Not really. I earn considerbly less than my girlfriend who works in Supermacs, and who does quite a few less hours than I do.

Most, if not all of the Sabbats do anywhere between 45-55 hours most weeks, and anywhere up to 65 on busy weeks like Orientation, Freshers and Charity week.

The claim that we go for the position for "the sake of a job" is in my opinion ludicrous. If I was looking for a job I would have got a job teaching like most of my friends and earn nearly € 8,000 - 10,000 more a year and finish at 4.30 every day.

All the candiadtes are running for the positions because they CARE about the Union and truly believe they can do the best for the students of UL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Nagoh

I don't know who you, Barry or Aoife are but I'd like a bit of clarity from mods on this one - how is anyone to know if you are or not involved in a campaign when you wish to remain anon?! Same goes for this apparently ficticious username which is obviously designed to look like a UL ID which doesn't exist....

Joys of internet anonymity, there's no way around that :)

You just have to trust that those involved will be honest, and rely on everyone as well as the mods to pick out trolls/shills

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

I think that "they just want a job" claim has been thrown around a bit in the last few years. I know that same bit was thrown at Ruan 2 years ago if not both years.

I don't know how people can make such a claim. It's got to be one of two things:
    Dirty tactics
    Depth of cynicism that will possibly result in a transformation into Eyore in future life.

I went back to college to become a teacher. I have no wish to be regarded as someone who took the job for June, July and August. Nor do I wish to be regarded as someone who is a safe-job public sector layabout. I find it insulting to my belief in education and I think any candidate who is willing to put themselves out there to be JUDGED should be respected.

It also doesn't match up to on the one hand claim it's a popularity contest yet people are only in there to get a job. If they want their popularity judged there is surely a less painful way than getting 100 votes....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

Hi All,

Customary declaration of affiliations, I'm Adam Moursy, Paddy Rockett's campaign manager. First off I'll wish each candidate good luck in the election, we're in for a tough, tiring but ultimately rewarding week.

Just to answer the below post:
    freyners wrote: »
    looking forward to this one.....surprised rockett is going for CSO, thought he might go for another shot at pres.

While that was originally the intention as far back as the end of the campaign last year, Paddy and I (Mostly Paddy) decided to pursue a different plan of action. The main reasoning behind it is simple; Anyone who knows Paddy, knows that he's an extremely social person and loves interacting with students. If he were elected to President, he wouldn't have much time for this as I'm sure Ruán and probably Derek and Viv will tell you. Thats not to say CSO isn't as time consuming etc but it involves more interaction with students.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NotMoose

I'm kinda disappointed with the lack of religions drive available among the candidates. I know religon is slightly out of flavor with the modern student but i feel the SU would benifit from an enlightened representive.

Is there any candidates that have based there manifestos on the teachings of the bible?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

As someone who campaigned for Paddy last year i have to say his organisational skills are second to none. Definitely the man for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

I will judge them on their manifestos alone, i don't mind party affiliations as long as they do what is best for U.L. Don't know who to vote for but i'll read up on them, won't be in Tuesday (History Soc trip)
    Can't wait to say congratulations Mr President :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Hey guys, Keith Young here again.

I just want to apologize for there not being anything official up about what I'll be campaigning for and what I can offer the students of UL. While I have had thoughts of running for a very long time, I really only made the decision to run 3 hours before the deadline on Friday. Sooooooooo last night and today have been hectic for me getting things ready. Expect a "launch" as it were, tomorrow.

In the mean time though, if anyone does have specific questions for me send me a PM, add me on Facebook or just drop an e-mail to young4pres@gmail.com

Looking forward to the week I gotta say :-) Don't take my last minute decision to run as an indication that I don't want this. Anyone who knows me well enough knows I do, so I'll be giving it all next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

Dia Daoibh.

With the SU Election coming up, I would like to ask the candidates what their position on the Irish language is, and if Elected, what they intend to do for Irish in the SU.

If you are interested in Making Irish an Issue for the Election, Please join our Facebook Page. Make Irish an Issue

We would be delighted if the candidates would join and support An Gaeilge during their campaign.

*Cumann Gaelach will not be taking a partisan role in the election, we will not support or oppose any candidate. We will just be working to make an Gaeilge an issue during the Election campaign.

Thanks for your questions, I've responded to your message.

Please feel free to ask any more questions on the topic.

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If you dont know who you're voting for... Just remember... Dustin The Turkey lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've forum-banned 0839642 for being an abusive troll with a penchant for idiotic libel. Hence two of his messages have been deleted as well. Thanks to those who reported the posts ("report this post" button on the bottom-left), always appreciated and leads to a better more rational discussion.

/mod

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

freyners wrote: »
    something I've been wondering about for sometime and since gallery has brought it up ill ask.
    why exactly did UL leave the USI? and why do we stay outside?..i tried googling this but never turned up anything too informative

Can't say much about why we left as it was before my time but i think it was due to people feeling that they weren't being effectively represented.

As for staying out membership of USI costs €65,000 and this would come out of the student's pockets. Last time the issue came up it was felt that students wouldn't be getting value for money by re-affiliation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TFeeney

Howdy Everyone!

Tara Feeney here.

Just to let you know you can find my manifesto @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tara-Feeney-for-ULSU-Welfare-Officer/111394982274830.

If you have any questions or comments you can contact me at feeneyforwelfare@hotmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you! :)

Come say hello if you see me around campus!

Best of luck to all the other candidates. It's going to be a busy week! Better have plenty of red bull on stand by...:P

Talk to you soon,

Tara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 msbeesmart

Hello Everyone

Please vote barry kennedy for education, he definitly is a worthy winner!! Barry is truely a great man, caring, intelligent and a team player !! Based on his experience, policies and true commitment for the UL Student Unions I know he will make an excellent Education Officer... He has worked so hard for the past FOUR YEARS in a variety of different roles within Societies and the Students.

Aoife is a lovely lady, but unfortunately is a blown in... she has only been involved in the SU for the past year.. I understand that she is a good faculty's officer.. .But hands down Baz Kennedy is hell of alot more qualified !! My impression is that Aoife wants the job, cos its a job. Barry on the other hand, wants to be a Education Officer because I genuinely believe he wants to do the best job possible ...

Please Vote for Barry Kennedy !!! He's a Legend of a Man !!!

To those who have mentioned that I want the role of Education Office to "get a job" is surely mistaken as I was offered a graduate programme in London which I applied for before decided to run of Education Officer and an offer that I have since turned down.

And my personal life about who I socailise with should have nothing to do with my ability to do a brilliant job as Education Officer. And the term "blow in" to the Union? I've been a student in this University for almost four years I think I am within every right to view my opinions and run for election like anyone who has always been involved in the Union.

Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

NotMoose wrote: »
    I'm kinda disappointed with the lack of religions drive available among the candidates. I know religon is slightly out of flavor with the modern student but i feel the SU would benifit from an enlightened representive.

Is there any candidates that have based there manifestos on the teachings of the bible?

This election is for SU not a bible study group, There are hundreds of students with in UL who do not read the bible nor care of it's contents as they have their own beliefs and faith. Why would any of the prospects wish to disenfranchise a large population of the electorate.
    What people do within their own life as to which God they follow should have no standing as to their ability to carry out the position they seek for election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SaltandVinegar

Hello Everyone

Thank you for all your responses and the great discussions that have been going on so far ! Its certainly been a interesting read and I wish all the candidates all the best in the elections.

As to MsBeeMart, thank you for your response, its good to have you on boards.ie. Of course you certainly have the right to run for the position and so forth. I wish you well during this hard week of campaigning.

However I would like to reaaffirm to you that Barry Kennedy has more experience for the role of Education Officer and has worked constantly for the past 4/5 years within the Students Unions. He has wanted this position for a very long time (a year if not more). And I think his loyality, passion for the SU and previous hard work should not go unnoted... And I know he will deliver a fresh exciting approach and tremendous commitment for the role of Education Officer.

As for the term 'blow in' sincere apologies if you were personally offended. But it was to highlight the fact that yes you (Aoife) were a student for the past 4 years.. But have only been involved with Students Unions for thepast 1 year.. Baz Kennedy not only does he have 4/5 years of experience in SU BUT he has been activity involved in Clubs&Soceties... Therefore proving his experience in team playing, communication, motivation and organisational skills that will prove excellent in the role of Education Officer..

And again best of luck to everyone involved this week. Have loads of fun, it will be one week in your college lifes that will not be forgotten so easily.

Take Care everyone x x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dancom

Hi All,

Dan Comerford here, PSA President. As some of you may know, an individual Sabbat cannot campaign for any candidate. I'd like to acknowledge that I cannot and will not be affiliated to any candidate in the upcoming SU Election. I will join all candidate's Facebook pages to ensure fair practise in campaigning as is my responsibility as a Sabbat, representative and Chair of ERB Committee. Should any candidate wish to join me, feel free to!

I'd like to wish all the candidates and their respective teams the very best of luck and ask them to refrain from any foul behaviour.

Best wishes,

Dan Comerford.

P.S. PSA Nominations Open tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I've heard the doing it to get a job argument for 2 years.

First time round I gave up a graduate programme, last year I had nothing lined up and it's the same this year, but if I'm being completely honest about it, I can't think of any more difficult or expensive way to look for a job than to run for a full time students' union position.

To those who will say it's a platform to a political career. Please tell that to the Irish electorate. Would you elect someone to a city/county council or to the Dáil on the basis that they were an SU officer? Even if you would, can you think of many other people who would. If that's the case I've already got 2 years of that on my CV, why look for a third?

I know that students appreciate what we do, because they tell me. It is not the big ticket items that mainly impact students, it's the small things that go unnoticed, the private things that you are never going to put in a manifesto!

I am running because I want to make the UL experience better for all students, and if the impact is slight for most but definitive for just ONE person, then I will consider that one of life's little victories.

Like I said, keeping one person in university is a minor thing for most people, but for that one person it's huge. There are so many more of these cases than you can possibly think of!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NotMoose

Agent_99 wrote: »
    This election is for SU not a bible study group, There are hundreds of students with in UL who do not read the bible nor care of it's contents as they have their own beliefs and faith. Why would any of the prospects wish to disenfranchise a large population of the electorate.
    What people do within their own life as to which God they follow should have no standing as to their ability to carry out the position they seek for election.

I not calling for prayer before lectures! (Tho I do think that would be a good idea).
    All I'm saying is that a good Christian representative would bring forward ideas and have competencies that would not be occur to or be owned by someone not of the Christan faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wheel

salt and vinegar,

just joined after i saw union clique rearing it's ugly head!
    Sadly there's NOTHING fresh about barry kennedy!! he's a great guy and you're absolutely correct that barry deserves credit, but it's unfortunate for him that he is so associated with the clique that education has been for years. (a very hardworking clique that said)

calling aoife kenny a 'blow-in' (which is funny because she seems like a bit of a union head, or do you have to spend 5 years hanging around the SU to be deemed worthy?) only testifies to that institutionalised, inaccessible clique problem, education desperately needs a fresh as an undecided voter, you just made my mind up.

sorry barry!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The willingness and accessibility for people who have not been involved says that not only is the Union an open place, but that no such clique exists.

You can say that ULSU is a clique until you are blue in the face, but accessibility is evidence to the contrary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 endagallerysu

Dia daoidh, Hello all, Bonjour mes amis,

My name is Enda Gallery and I am running for SU President.

My facebook page is facebook.com/endagallerysu

You can email me with your questions or queries at endagallery@hotmail.com and there is a discussion board thereon also.

My facebook page has info about me and my plans, but remember that my 1st plan is to improve the system for hearing about, and dealing with problems through performance measurement and accountability, so I will also be dealing with far more issues as they arise in my time in office, should I be so lucky to get there.

Best of luck to all other candidates.

Enda Gallery

PS - I also put up on my wall a picture of me in tights from when I was working in the Tudors, I thought I better just let this one out before it gets used against me!! : )

ninty9er wrote: »
    The willingness and accessibility for people who have not been involved says that not only is the Union an open place, but that no such clique exists.

You can say that ULSU is a clique until you are blue in the face, but accessibility is evidence to the contrary.

What i'm talking about is the clear animosity towards a "blow in" running, rendered less qualified by some because they haven't been involved in SU enough, which you can see for yourself. but it's ok because salt and vinegar probably graduated years ago and doesn't have a vote, eh?!
    I know the services of the union are highly accessible, and is a great open place especially for first years.

ps you are the clique PERSONIFIED!! :p best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BlueFlowers

Hello Everyone

Thank you for all your responses and the great discussions that have been going on so far ! Its certainly been a interesting read and I wish all the candidates all the best in the elections.

As to MsBeeMart, thank you for your response, its good to have you on boards.ie. Of course you certainly have the right to run for the position and so forth. I wish you well during this hard week of campaigning.

However I would like to reaaffirm to you that Barry Kennedy has more experience for the role of Education Officer and has worked constantly for the past 4/5 years within the Students Unions. He has wanted this position for a very long time (a year if not more). And I think his loyality, passion for the SU and previous hard work should not go unnoted... And I know he will deliver a fresh exciting approach and tremendous commitment for the role of Education Officer.

As for the term 'blow in' sincere apologies if you were personally offended. But it was to highlight the fact that yes you (Aoife) were a student for the past 4 years.. But have only been involved with Students Unions for thepast 1 year.. Baz Kennedy not only does he have 4/5 years of experience in SU BUT he has been activity involved in Clubs&Soceties... Therefore proving his experience in team playing, communication, motivation and organisational skills that will prove excellent in the role of Education Officer..

And again best of luck to everyone involved this week. Have loads of fun, it will be one week in your college lifes that will not be forgotten so easily.

Take Care everyone x x

SaltandVingar - I have nothing against either Barry or Aoife running for the position of Education Officer, but one thing I do not agree on is your perception of both candidates.

If someone wishes to run for a sabbatical position it is their choice and their choice alone, you seem to know Barry very well and are well able to represent his corner in this upcoming election.
    However you do not know Aoife; how can you know how she feels about the union? How she is involved in it? How well she would do the job? Or what has driven her to run for the position of Education Officer?

Do you mean that only members of the infamous "Students' Union Clique" should both run for something and be elected - how is that in any form democratic or even encouraging for people to get involved? Which is something that the Union is forever trying to do, they even have an email address saying that!

Are you of the belief that in order to become a Sabbat you have to make that decision in your first year of college by becoming a class rep and active within the SU for the remainder of your degree years?
    Thus building up your "SU CV" in order to achieve the end title of "Sabbat"? Because that seems to me as extremely unfair and not a viewpoint that the Student's Union would like to endorse.

The SU is for every student in the University of Limerick, they don't exclude anyone, they don't discourage people from becoming involved in it, so why would then try to discourage people from making their own decisions regarding these elections?

Let people make their own choices by reading the manifestos and going to talk to the candidates during the week.
    That is how it should be done, not by stressing the "union clique" tittle on either candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SaltandVinegar

wheel wrote: »
    salt and vinegar,

just joined after i saw union clique rearing it's ugly head!
    Sadly there's NOTHING fresh about barry kennedy!! he's a great guy and you're absolutely correct that barry deserves credit, but it's unfortunate for him that he is so associated with the clique that education has been for years. (a very hardworking clique that said)

calling aoife kenny a 'blow-in' (which is funny because she seems like a bit of a union head, or do you have to spend 5 years hanging around the SU to be deemed worthy?) only testifies to that institutionalised, inaccessible clique problem, education desperately needs a fresh as an undecided voter, you just made my mind up.

sorry barry!

I was only stating the qualities and experience that Barry Kennedy can bring to the role of Education. and yes I do believe experience is valuable for the role of Education Officer. Sure look at Derek Daly running for the role of president. I think he will make an excellent president, due to the fact that I know he has proven himself to be a very hardworking individual, has plently of experience and indeed has got great knowledge of what is needed for the future of ULSU.. Best of Luck to him!! Experience, Personality and Ambition is what needed for this role !!!
    and I find Barry very suitable for the role. Aoife Kenny is a lovely individual..and I admire her courage to go for the role. But I support Barry.

As regards to your above statement, I dont think their is a clique problem. ULSU is the most open, welcoming and friendly place to be within the University of Limerick. Barry although good friends with alot of folk has '''not just hung around''' the SU' but he like Derek Daly.. has shown himself to be great canditate for elections.... and superb individual who has made the UL a better place based upon their previous experience... :)

Barry is a superb canditate... And his not short of fresh ideas,!! and drive to put those ideas into action.. I encourage you to read his manfiesto/visit his facebook and it will prove you wrong.

• Advertisement

Barry is a superb canditate... And his not short of fresh ideas,!! and drive to put those ideas into action.. I encourage you to read his manfiesto/visit his facebook and it will prove you wrong.

will do, i don't doubt that barry would do a great job but i have a problem with the term blow-in and all it represents, i think it lets the SU down, because it is a place for all the students and that includes those who aren't heavily involved in day to day SU or clubs/socs stuff... which incidentally is most of the student population! so by your logic, surely aoife is better 'qualified' to represent the students of UL?!!
    best of luck to all, i'll have a read. :D

Advertisement