Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elections June5th demand action on local Balbriggan issues

• 31-03-2009 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,
    just areminder that the local and european elections are on June 5th and very soon you will be getting leaflets in your door and canvassers knocking on it.
    Obviously all the parties want these elections tro focus on national issues, bit local elections should be about local issues.
    Could I respectfully suggest some questions that you might ask the canditates, particularly those seeking re-election or who are members of the bigger parties.
    1) When are we in Balbriggan going to get a usable water supply?
    2) When are we in Balbriggan, particularly in the new estates, going to get a proper local bus service, that runs when it is needed, with proper bus stops and bus shelters?
    3) Many of the new estates are unfinished yet Fingal County Council refuse to use the bond provided by the builders to finish them and take them in hand, what are doing about that?
    4) Despite rising unemployment the unemployment office and the Community Welfare Office in Balbriggan have been closed in the last few months, why have our councillors and prospective councillors been so silent on this issue?
    When is something going to be done about the highly dangerous stretches of what are called "roads", particularly the lower end of hamlet lane? How many children will have to be killed or injured before our councillors take action.

These are just a few of the issues, i'm sure lots of you can think of more, the point is these are real local issues, that deserve to be at the front of the local election campaigns.

DONT LET THE POLITICIANS MAKE THESE ELECTIONS ABOUT NATIONAL ISSUES, IF YOU DO NOTHING WILL CHANGE AT LOCAL LEVEL

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Are you running for election?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Claudius64

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Are you running for election?
    No Moonbeam i am not running for election. I am merely trying to point out that those who do run for election at the Local elections should run on, and deal with local issues.
    surely trying to raise awareness cannot offend anyone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was just wondering:)

I think awareness of such thing is extremely important and people should get out and have their say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Hi moonbeam,

in rgds to the SW office - rumour has it that the office is to return by June 09. A potential site is under consideration, but it is quite small so there are concerns of people having to queue out the door and down the street, which is not ideal.

Fair play for encouraging people. It is badly needed.

As you said the road at the end of Hamlet Lane near O'Dwyers is a disgrace.

Last time I was around for elections I asked for many things to be done locally - the only one to do anything was Trevor Seargent.

They should also be doing as much as possible to encourage business and trade in the town, and digging up the roads left right and centre with no forethought is not helping!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Last time I was around for elections I asked for many things to be done locally - the only one to do anything was Trevor Seargent.

Have to say while I don't support the Greens at all, I have a massive amount of respect for Seargent.

Schooling is another issue worth bringing up, with the number of new estates that have popped up in the last few years there's gonna be massive demand for a secondary school in about ten years time I'm guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Perhaps the OP could edit his/her thread title to indicate that it concerns Balbriggan local issues.

Many of us who frequent this Forum do not live in Balbriggan. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,741 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Perhaps the OP could edit his/her thread title to indicate that it concerns Balbriggan local issues.

Many of us who frequent this Forum do not live in Balbriggan. ;)

Good point.

New thread for Rush/Lusk/Skerries issues here.

Can you change the topic of this thread to indicate Balbriggan please?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Not sure if allowed to post this, but hey.

SF are hholdig a public meeting in Ballbriggan on the job situation and how to try and tackle it. Speakers are mary Lou McDonald MEP, Fergus Byrne (Sinn Féin local election candidate) and matt McCormack who works at SR Techniques.

It is on Monday 20th April, 8 pm upstairs in the Milestone.

All local councillors have been invited and invitations also sent to community groups, chamber of Commerce etc. I believe they wish to see if some form of Alliance for Jobs being created.

Below is a link about the meeting

http://balbriggansinnfein.blogspot.com/2009/04/sinn-fein-have-organised-meeting-on.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Just don't vote for FF, thats a starter for ten.

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote: »
    Just don't vote for FF, thats a starter for ten.
    Thats for sure! But what about the Greens, they are in Government too and what are they doing apart from slashing public transport and bailing out crooked banks?
    And what about all the sitting councillors who have done nothing for the last 5 years except stick their noses in the trough?
    I for one will be using my vote for an independent or small party canditate who actually wants to do something for Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Claudius64 wrote: »
    Thats for sure! But what about the Greens, they are in Government too and what are they doing apart from slashing public transport and bailing out crooked banks?
    And what about all the sitting councillors who have done nothing for the last 5 years except stick their noses in the trough?I for one will be using my vote for an independent or small party canditate who actually wants to do something for Balbriggan.

Balbriggan Sitting councillors

May McKeown Non Party
    David O'Connor Non Party
    Ciaran Byrne Labour
    Joe Corr Greens

They all are "independent or small party candidates"

wow sierra wrote: »
    Balbriggan Sitting councillors

May McKeown Non Party
    David O'Connor Non Party
    Ciaran Byrne Labour
    Joe Corr Greens

They all are "independent or small party candidates"
    I would hardly call the Labour Party a small party, a mis-named party but not a small party.
    As for the greens bearing in mind they have two full cabinet ministries I would not consider them as small either.
    lastly , I thought, I could be wrong and I accept that, that balbriggan had more than four members on its town council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I would hardly call the Labour Party a small party, a mis-named party but not a small party.
    As for the greens bearing in mind they have two full cabinet ministries I would not consider them as small either.
    lastly , I thought, I could be wrong and I accept that, that balbriggan had more than four members on its town council.

You are correct in assuming there is more than four people on the town council but I imagine he was referring to the county councillors.

The town council has no real power, it is in effect a lobby group

The county council has the real teeth and these are the people that need convincing if change is to take place.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Hi all,

DONT LET THE POLITICIANS MAKE THESE ELECTIONS ABOUT NATIONAL ISSUES, IF YOU DO NOTHING WILL CHANGE AT LOCAL LEVEL

you must be ff voter ,cos i don't know any candidate who wants to make the locals about national issues???

you must be ff voter ,cos i don't know any candidate who wants to make the locals about national issues???
    Sorry to disappoint you but if you had bothered to read my previous posts you would note that I have agreed that FF are NOT worth voting for. My veiw is that if people (like you) use these elections to vote on national issues then nothing will change at local level. Local elections are important regarding local issues, like the state of the roads in certain areas, or the lack of offices like a Social welfare office, or the lack of a swimming pool.
    People can of course vote on national issues in these elections if they want, but if they do then one questions their right to complain when their local councillors fail to listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,741 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

you must be ff voter ...
    My veiw is that if people (like you) ...

Let's not make this personal. Comment on the post not the poster. HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

cos i don't know any candidate who wants to make the locals about national issues???

Advertisement