Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ecta calls for regulatory action on flat-rate internet access

• 22-07-2001 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Document can be found at http://www.ectaportal.com/indxfiles/CNPressReleases/Friaco%20pr.doc

02 July 2001

ecta calls for regulatory action on flat-rate internet access

Brussels – ecta, the European Competitive Telecommunications Association, is calling for Europe’s regulators to move to implement effective wholesale tariffs for flat rate internet access.

In a submission published today, ecta argues flat-rate internet access is an important part of the range of measures necessary to create and extend e-europe.

Evidence shows that flat-rate internet access services drive up both internet access and usage; and taken together these increase the range and volume of e-commerce activity.

Flat-rate internet access call origination (FRIACO) makes it possible for independent ISPs to buy interconnection on a capacity as opposed to a per minute basis. This is a necessary condition if there is to be competiton in the provision of flat-rate internet services to consumers.

Incumbents should be required by the national regulatory authority (NRA) to provide a flat rate product if they are not willing to do so on an acceptable commercial basis. This product must have three essential components:

· first, it should be non-discriminatory in terms of price and its underlying cost structure (ie be capacity driven). Operators should be charged the same capacity charge as the retail business of the incumbent is charged by its network business;
    · second, requests for this service should be provisioned on a timely basis. Again, a third party should be able to purchase it as quickly as an affiliated ISP; and
    · third, the interconnection service should be provided at an appropriate point in the incumbent’s network.

…/

The FRIACO product determined by UK NRA OFTEL is an example of best practice in meeting these criteria. ecta calls on the European Commission to:

· provide timely and accurate benchmarking data on the price, availability and take-up of flat rate internet services (retail and wholesale); and

· work with national regulatory authorities to ensure that narrowband internet access is seen as a complement to broadband rather than its poor relation and that appropriate products are made available in national markets to support the growth of commercially viable unmetered internet access products.

Louise Lancaster, chair of ecta’s Flat Rate Internet Access policy group, said:

“Promoting competitive flat-rate narrowband access to the internet is the most effective means of increasing internet access and usage in Europe. It removes the “fear factor” about high phone bills that deters many from using their internet connection actively or, in some cases, from going on-line in the first place.”

“It also supports the growth of demand for broadband services – consumers who are heavy users of the internet are the most likely to want the high bandwidth and fast connections that broadband offers.”

ENDS

Note
    The text of the full submission is available at www.ectaportal.com

About ECTA
    The European Competitive Telecommunications Association is the leading pan-European pro-competitive trade association for European telecoms companies. Its objectives are to:

· assist and encourage market liberalisation and competition through its communications programmes and regulatory efforts;
    · represent the telecommunications industry to key government and regulatory bodies with “one clear voice” on key issues affecting competition;
    · maintain a forum for networking and business development for its members throughout Europe; and
    · assist new market entrants through pro-competitive policies and the provision of telecommunications industry content.

For further information, please contact:
    John Dickie, Head of Regulatory and Corporate Affairs, ecta, tel: +44 (0)118 979 3331, e-mail: jdickie@ectaportal.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

interesting, by capacity driven, do they mean per mb like eircom want adsl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    interesting, by capacity driven, do they mean per mb like eircom want adsl</font>

No - they are talking about flat rate, but only in regard to narrow band, as far as I can see, not broadband.

Martin

well thats good, if its anything like llu it will take another year and a half, hopefully the odtr learnt from pass mistakes

Well, even though they are only talking about Narrowband this would be a start..
    Wouldn't it?

I assume when the telcos see that there is a high demand of such a Narrowband service, and they realize that there is money to be made, they wouldn't be too shy of offering a Broadband alternative for the users that are in need of more Bandwidth (I assume that the ESat 'nolimits' offering was so popular that they could not keep up with the demand. That's why they kicked us 'heavy users' off. - Again, this is just my assumption. But this would prove that even a Narrowband offering would be hugely popular).

So, IMO the Narrowband approach would not be the ideal approach for me, but it certainly would be a good step into the right direction.
    And considering a good value for money ratio I'd certainly take it up - until there is an affordable Broadband alternative.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by disConnected:
    I assume when the telcos see that there is a high demand of such a Narrowband service, and they realize that there is money to be made, they wouldn't be too shy of offering a Broadband alternative for the users that are in need of more Bandwidth (I assume that the ESat 'nolimits' offering was so popular that they could not keep up with the demand. That's why they kicked us 'heavy users' off. - Again, this is just my assumption. But this would prove that even a Narrowband offering would be hugely popular).</font>

Esat did not kick off "heavy users" because they could not keep up with demand, they kicked them off because they are forced to pay Eircom for every minute a user is connected to their network.

Eircom makes my blood boil, they're keeping Ireland in the "stone age" of Internet technology.

• Advertisement
Advertisement