Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Horizon Launched

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Maybe I'm going blind, but what are the 19/20 HD channels that come with Horizon?

Depends on which package
    Select Extra has 18 HD Channels
    Max Pack has 20 HD Channels

HD Channels
    RTE 2
    TG4
    BBC 1
    BBC 2
    Setanta Ireland
    History Channel
    National Geographic
    National Geo Wild
    CI
    EuroSport 1
    EuroSport 2
    MGM
    SKY News
    SKY Sports News
    SKY 1
    SKY Arts 1
    SKY Arts 2
    SKY Living

Max Pack has above Channels and
    Discovery HD
    Disney Channel

Total 20 HD Channels

Extra HD Below

Note extra HD Channels if you subscribe to Setanta Plus Pack
    ESPN
    BT Sport 1
    BT Sport 2

IF you subscribe to the Sky Sports Pack
    Sky Sports 1
    Sky Sports 2

If you subscribe to SKY Movies
    you have 11 Sky Movie Channels in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

You're a gent

Note to UPC Reps can you correct the Horizon bundles on the website
    HD Channels are 18 with Select Extra
    HD Channels are 20 with Max pack

Espn no longer part of Select extra or Max packs

This might cause a problem for you if not corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

The info on UPC's site about the new Horizon service includes a brief mention of being able to use the Guide on your iPad to change channel on your TV. It mentions needing a Horizon TV Remote App to do this, but there is nothing called that in the App Store.

Anyone know anything more about this?

• Advertisement

The info on UPC's site about the new Horizon service includes a brief mention of being able to use the Guide on your iPad to change channel on your TV. It mentions needing a Horizon TV Remote App to do this, but there is nothing called that in the App Store.

Horizon TV is name of the app its available for iPad and iPhone
    but you cant use the app as a remote yet it to change channels on the horizon well not so far
    It possible its a future option not yet enabled

you can use it to view a channel on your iPad/iPhone
    tell the horizon to record a program on Horizon HD Box using the app

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I see it says that HD is included with the Horizon Box. So if i pick the sports & movies pack without HD am i getting the HD versions on the Horizon box or am i still shelling out €54 for the HD? Instead of The €44?

Sky Movies SD doesn't seem to be on the EPG on my box, only the HD versions

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

You'll still have to pay extra for Movies and Sports in HD. You'll only get the standard HD channels mentioned in previous posts.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I see it says that HD is included with the Horizon Box. So if i pick the sports & movies pack without HD am i getting the HD versions on the Horizon box or am i still shelling out €54 for the HD? Instead of The €44?

SD Version are on my Horizon box but not I'm not subscribed
    Channels 301-321 are sd versions

I don't subscribe to movies or sports with UPC I use Sky for that

I see it cost more for Sky Movies HD and Sky Sports HD packs there separate packs from what I can see

I would pm upc reps to find out your answer to your question about costs and if there changed now that HD is included with horizon
    but I don't think it covers sports and movies hd packs

contact upc reps for your answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

I'm not subscribed to the HD versions of Movies & Sports, but I can still see the listings. I don't recall the channel numbers, but the SD channels are before the TCM/MGM channels, with the HD Sky Movies channels after those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

I don't think this has launched in Ireland yet, but hopefully they will launch it soon ..

It is available in other Horizon markets, NL and swiss

http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/en/television/horizontvremote-app/
    http://www.appannie.com/app/ios/horizon-tv-remote/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I have just watched a YouTube video on this. I noticed a section "My home network videos"
    Does this mean the horizon box can be connected to a network hardrive and play movies from it?
    I have a WD my book world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

€45 activation fee for existing users? :confused: that's what loyalty buys?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

It is yeah - was all set to sign up, saw that fee and just went 'meh' ... Not short of cash but sick of being reeled in by 'Zero connection fee....oh wait but there is a €45 activation fee...'

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭naitsirhc

€45 activation fee is because you're getting a new box that'll make your TV almost like a smart TV. If you prefer to get the smart TV then you could fork our a few grand for it I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭naitsirhc

You'll be on the trial package until you order one of the new bundles. You won't be automatically moved in to a new package.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

Since the trial thread is now closed (and was massive anyway) I'll ask here. Sorry if it's been brought up amongst the bugs before. I've been on the trial since May.

The main problem for me has been that Twonky hasn't worked a single day since I got the thing. I had UPC come out a half dozen times and change boxes etc.. but no one every actually had a clue about Twonky itself. I spent hours on the phone being told to basically switch it off and back on, uninstall and download again. It just flat out hasn't worked.

I stopped giving a monkeys as I had to deal with a serious illness in the family and ringing UPC and sorting out a poxy Horizon trial was least of my worries.

However that's, thankfully, behind me now and I'd like the thing I'm paying for to, you know, actually work! So if anyone has had a similar issue I'd be grateful for some help.

The bottom line of the issue is that nothing ever shows up in the 'My Devices' section of the Horizon box despite me having downloaded Twonky Server and Twonky Manager and opened all my files and folders to access and set my computer to file share.

Thanks in advance if you can help and apologies in advance if this has already been done to death. I just don't have time to read back through the 150 pages of the trial thread.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I have a smart tv...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

I currently have the very expensive combination of Sky Tv and UPC broadband. I have been reluctant to move from sky because I find the HD box excellent. Is it finally time to move to UPC? Is the Horizon EPG on a par with Sky?

Also as asked above is the box capable of playing movies from a connected hard drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

gerbo wrote: »
    I currently have the very expensive combination of Sky Tv and UPC broadband. I have been reluctant to move from sky because I find the HD box excellent. Is it finally time to move to UPC? Is the Horizon EPG on a par with Sky?

Also as asked above is the box capable of playing movies from a connected hard drive?

A resounding "No" to your first question. The box is very buggy, and worse then the old UPC box in some ways. I'm sure others on the trial would agree. They have been releasing updates for it but I haven't seen any discernible difference. The UI is very "busy" and is far less user friendly then the old EPG, which in itself is less user friendly then Sky. The box needs a lot of work and I'm surprised UPC have decided that now is the right time to launch.

As for you're second query, you can watch movies streamed wirelessly from a connected PC. I'm unsure about a direct HDD connection but it does have a full size USB port so might be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Just ordered this, does anyone know if you can set it up yourself of does it need an engineer.

I only ask as its a pain to arrange a day to be there when they come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Just ordered this, does anyone know if you can set it up yourself of does it need an engineer.

I only ask as its a pain to arrange a day to be there when they come
    You can do it yourself, its pretty straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I just received the older box 2.5 weeks ago (after paying a €45 fee) but would prefer this box.

Can I cancel my previous order under a cooling-off period and go with the new box instead? I ordered the previous box over the phone and did not receive any terms & conditions which would tell me if a cooling-off period exists, and if so, how long it lasts.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

grimm2005 wrote: »
    As for you're second query, you can watch movies streamed wirelessly from a connected PC. I'm unsure about a direct HDD connection but it does have a full size USB port so might be possible.

Yep, It does support DLNA but the USB ports are not used for anything and are marked as such in the user guide. One of the first things I did when I got the box was to see if it could play movies off usb sticks and drives and when I asked UPC they said it wasnt a feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

dilallio wrote: »
    I just received the older box 2.5 weeks ago (after paying a €45 fee) but would prefer this box.

Can I cancel my previous order under a cooling-off period and go with the new box instead? I ordered the previous box over the phone and did not receive any terms & conditions which would tell me if a cooling-off period exists, and if so, how long it lasts.
    Thanks!
    I'd say UPC would be willing to help you out, contact the Reps account on the Talk to UPC forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

will this work in rural areas??

currently have UPC through mmds but can't get HD channels on that system

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

AFAIK horizon only works in areas where you can currently use HD and on-demand, so No MMDS unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Can the Horizon Box mirror whats on your Personal computer?

For example if I play a video, say on VLC media player on my computer, am I able to view that on my TV through the Horizon Box?

Its just that I was thinking about purchasing appleTV and the sales advisor told me that the Horizon box was capable of this but I could find no info to verify what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

It's supposed to Androl but it hasn't worked a single day since I've got it on mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

did you download Twonky?

Advertisement