Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Horizon Launched

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

Anyone else notice the new bundles seem to be cheaper than what they're paying at the moment? My current bundle is "Horizon Complete 100Mb Bundle HD Anytime" which is the same as the new "Horizon Complete Bundle", except for the fact that the new bundle is 150Mb compared to my 100Mb, and it's €80 compared to my €88.50.

Same for me except the new bundle is €11 cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

Interesting, I wonder will us existing Horizon customers be able to move to these new packages?

• Advertisement

€45 activation fee :rolleyes:

At least we didn't have to pay that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I kinda hoped they'd have improved the apps too before launch. Many of them (Joe, The Score) are only barely functional as they're missing the ability to view images/slideshows/videos, and many stories are nothing but linked images/slideshows/videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

pelluci wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the new bundles seem to be cheaper than what they're paying at the moment? My current bundle is "Horizon Complete 100Mb Bundle HD Anytime" which is the same as the new "Horizon Complete Bundle", except for the fact that the new bundle is 150Mb compared to my 100Mb, and it's €80 compared to my €88.50.

You sure? I'm paying €78 for my Horizon Complete bundle.

I think this is very premature, to be honest. The interace still needs tweaking...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 derek4567

I think this is very premature, to be honest. The interace still needs tweaking...

Hell should I b getting a free phone on my horizon I have the horizon box and hd box up stairs and 100mb broadband but no house phone in my package ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

My exact bundle isn't offered as one of the 3 new bundles.

This are the charges on my last bill:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 derek4567

pelluci wrote: »
    My exact bundle isn't offered as one of the 3 new bundles.

My payment are 88.50 for hd box and horizon box 100mb the new deal is horizon box 100mb and phone for 88.50

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Flip Flop wrote: »
    Interesting, I wonder will us existing Horizon customers be able to move to these new packages?

I presume that we will : Not sure if this means that we will get the 50 per month for 6 months offer :

from the

"Are you already with UPC?" button

Great News! Our exclusive bundles are
    now available to all UPC customers

Q. I am an existing UPC customer, can I order one of the bundles?
    A. Yes, existing customers who live in an enabled area can now order any of our bundle offers, for example a Broadband, Digital TV and Home Phone bundle or simply a Broadband and Home Phone bundle
    Q. How will my current contract be affected?
    A. Your current contract will automatically be replaced by a new 12 month contract once your new services are installed.
    Q. What do I need to do to avail of these services online?
    A.
    Select the bundle offer you would like to order, for example the Essential bundle or the Fibre Power 50MB bundle
    Place your online order and we will automatically replace your current subscription with the new bundle that you have ordered.
    Any additional services that you currently have on your account (i.e. Multiroom Viewing or Sky Sports etc.) will automatically be applied to your new subscription - you do not need to include these in your new online order.
    Q. I am an existing Home Phone Customer with Freetime World,If I order the The Essential bundle will my Home Phone pack change.
    A. No, in this instance existing customers who currently receive our Home phone with either the Freetime World or Anytime world call packs will continue to receive these services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Can we have this thread moved to UPC as Horizon HD is now on general release from UPC its no longer a trial
    Some might disagree with this and say its not ready for public release
    Some UPC customers might not be aware of this thread and will find it helpful if they search UPC thread they will not see all the feedback and problems customers had and solutions to fix some of those problems

Now that the Horizon is Live
    It would help if this thread was re named UPC Horizon and moved to the UPC thread
    If would help to avoid multi threads with same questions and answers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There will be a bit of reorganisation done this evening (however we will not be moving this or any other thread in this forum to Talk to UPC). In the meantime feel free to start new threads on Horizon related topics as long as one doesn't already exist on the same subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mollser

Emm, I'm paying €83.50 a month for Horizon, Digital Max HD, 50mb broadband and Anytime World Phone.

According to the bundles, the same package with 150mb broadband is €80pm after 6 months, only €50 for first 6 months.

As a tester, I hope to god I am not precluded from signing up for this bundle offer, otherwise the rewards for being a tester do not compare well against those who sign up now...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭m

Does the horizon box work with a multiroom hd box in another room ( in this case a garage out the back)?

I`m tempted to go for it. what about wifi coverage compared to a normal upc modem?

cheers.

I hope we don't get that remote. It looks terrible, I prefer the one I have.

Hmm, my Horizon package is about €15 cheaper than pre-Horizon, the only difference being downgrading from 120Mbps to 100Mbps. Think I'll need to get out my slide-rule to calculate how much it'd be with the new bundles (incl. Sky Sports & Movies, and HD, but not Sky Sports & Movies HD. I still think it's weird they're bundled separately).

Mr.S wrote: »
    Sorry if posted before.

Theres a new remote in this photo http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/33772-upc-unboxes-its-ultimate/, will the people on the trial get the new remote?

Also, do we just keep the trial boxes or will they need to be replaced with public ones? (i'm assuming they are the same though)

Odd, look at the side of that remote. Is that writing, or are those buttons?

I like the simplicity of the 'top' side, but if there aren't buttons for obvious features people are either going to be flipping the remote over and over or tap-tap-tapping through a lot of options.

Edit - actually, if I'm not mistaken that's an old picture, before the current remote. I think I remember seeing it and thinking the reverse side would work as a games controller.

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    Odd, look at the side of that remote. Is that writing, or are those buttons?

I like the simplicity of the 'top' side, but if there aren't buttons for obvious features people are either going to be flipping the remote over and over or tap-tap-tapping through a lot of options.

Edit - actually, if I'm not mistaken that's an old picture, before the current remote. I think I remember seeing it and thinking the reverse side would work as a games controller.

Personally I need buttons for obvious features.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Anyone know how this Horizon box works with routers i.e. can it be bridged?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

Mr.S wrote: »
    Sorry if posted before.

Theres a new remote in this photo http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/33772-upc-unboxes-its-ultimate/, will the people on the trial get the new remote?

Also, do we just keep the trial boxes or will they need to be replaced with public ones? (i'm assuming they are the same though)
    That is NOT the new remote, but the old obvious remote which was delivered in NL only on request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

mollser wrote: »
    Emm, I'm paying €83.50 a month for Horizon, Digital Max HD, 50mb broadband and Anytime World Phone.

According to the bundles, the same package with 150mb broadband is €80pm after 6 months, only €50 for first 6 months.

As a tester, I hope to god I am not precluded from signing up for this bundle offer, otherwise the rewards for being a tester do not compare well against those who sign up now...

The €50 for 6 months deal only applies to new UPC customers. As an existing customer, you'd be excluded whether you had done the Horizon trial or not.
    However, having been in the trial, you'll have dodged the €45 activation fee for the box and been given over €100 in credit during the trial.
    Plus, you've been able to try the box out for a few months without having to sign up to a contract.

So all in all, those of us who did the trial have done OK out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

thewing wrote: »
    Anyone know how this Horizon box works with routers i.e. can it be bridged?

Its doesn't support bridging mode.

WoodenShoe wrote: »
    That is NOT the new remote, but the old obvious remote which was delivered in NL only on request.

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Maybe I'm going blind, but what are the 19/20 HD channels that come with Horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

On the contract front, anyone know how long we stay on existing trialist packages or if we'll be moved soon?

The Horizon Essential Limited Bundle would be the nearest to our current 50mb setup for €66 a month, but the "50Mb Limitied - 10Gb download allowance" is pretty poor tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Maybe I'm going blind, but what are the 19/20 HD channels that come with Horizon?

1. RTE Two
    2. TG4
    3. BBC One NI
    4. BBC Two
    5. Sky1
    6. Sky Living
    7. Sky Arts 1
    8. Sky Arts 2
    9. Discovery (Max pack required)
    10. History
    11. National Geographic
    12. Nat Geo Wild
    13. CI
    14. Sky News
    15. MGM
    16. Setanta Ireland
    17. British Eurosport
    18. British Eurosport 2
    19. Sky Sports News
    20. Disney Channel (Max pack required)

I have 20 HD channels, and I don't have the Horizon box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm on the current hd box. Will these hd channels be the default version or will I still have to go from 102 to 140 for RTE2 etc?
    1. RTE Two
    2. TG4
    3. BBC One NI
    4. BBC Two
    5. Sky1
    6. Sky Living
    7. Sky Arts 1
    8. Sky Arts 2
    9. Discovery (Max pack required)
    10. History
    11. National Geographic
    12. Nat Geo Wild